Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Looking for some guidance-

Applied for dentistry in 2011, rejected from everywhere. Ended up entering clearing and studying engineering.

Did well at uni, and started working for a large global company. I’m now lead engineer for my department, but still have an active interest in pursuing dentistry.

My qualifications are listed below. I have average A-Levels/GCSE’s. I don’t want to waste my time taking an aptitude test if my application will be thrown out immediately. I’m aware engineering and dentistry and two very different things:

BEng MechanicalEngineering (IMechE) - 1st class honours
    4 x A-Levels: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology - BBBB
    10 x GCSEs - A*AAAAABBBB

Is this possible? I understand the financial implications of studying a second degree, but would rather give it a shot than give up.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by \\\\\)
    Hi

Looking for some guidance-

Applied for dentistry in 2011, rejected from everywhere. Ended up entering clearing and studying engineering.

Did well at uni, and started working for a large global company. I’m now lead engineer for my department, but still have an active interest in pursuing dentistry.

My qualifications are listed below. I have average A-Levels/GCSE’s. I don’t want to waste my time taking an aptitude test if my application will be thrown out immediately. I’m aware engineering and dentistry and two very different things:

BEng MechanicalEngineering (IMechE) - 1st class honours
    4 x A-Levels: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology - BBBB
    10 x GCSEs - A*AAAAABBBB

Is this possible? I understand the financial implications of studying a second degree, but would rather give it a shot than give up.

Thank you
    Hi,

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't apply...The fact that you applied once, were rejected and still have an interest even years later might even be a plus point for your application as it shows determination. I got in when I was 34 and had been rejected the first time I applied... If you can get 1:1 in Mechanical Engineering then you certainly have the academic aptitude for the course. You should maybe redo the A-levels (or Access - that's what I did) first and see how you get on with those first - your current A-levels probably won't get you an interview but depending on your age, Access or BTEC might be more suitable anyway and are more "mature-friendly" in terms of classroom hours etc.

With regard to the UKCAT - I wouldn't even think about that until you are on with your Access or A-level course...In my opinion the UKCAT is an absolute load of rubbish anyway and scores on there are largely dependent on luck as the time limits are ridiculous. It's not a test you can revise for anyway and I would personally worry about it later if I was in your position.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info and I'll be glad to help you if I can.

Best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.