Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I thought I would submit a post to see if anyone was in a similar position to me as it would be great to get to know some new people.

I'm 34 years old and am studying an Access to Higher Education Diploma in Social Work via the Distance Learning Centre. I hope to then apply for degree courses in the subject from 2017.

I'm concerned about giving up, what has to now, been a fairly successful career in another field by moving into full time study. The change in income is a worry, but I have for a long time wanted to get back into higher education. I am so keen to learn more about and ultimately become a Social worker.

For a while I was concerned about my age, especially after reading some posts where people in their early 20's were asking if they were too old to go to University. But I have come to realise that the age of applicants is over a wide range.

I just wondered if anyone else is going through a mid(ish) life change of career and direction, perhaps into a Social work field? I'm slightly scared but also excited at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlasgowGuy2016)
    Hello everyone

I thought I would submit a post to see if anyone was in a similar position to me as it would be great to get to know some new people.

I'm 34 years old and am studying an Access to Higher Education Diploma in Social Work via the Distance Learning Centre. I hope to then apply for degree courses in the subject from 2017.

I'm concerned about giving up, what has to now, been a fairly successful career in another field by moving into full time study. The change in income is a worry, but I have for a long time wanted to get back into higher education. I am so keen to learn more about and ultimately become a Social worker.

For a while I was concerned about my age, especially after reading some posts where people in their early 20's were asking if they were too old to go to University. But I have come to realise that the age of applicants is over a wide range.

I just wondered if anyone else is going through a mid(ish) life change of career and direction, perhaps into a Social work field? I'm slightly scared but also excited at the same time

Hi

Ive just joined and have no idea if im doing this right!!

Im very simiar to you. I'm 31 and starting my access course in September. I've given up a okish paid job, and i have 2 young children, so like you a bit nervous at all the change. However I'm so excited to start in a career which has always interested me and I luckily have a supportive husband who is with me 100% on this.

Im hoping to start uni sept 2017 so hopefully we can be a bit of support for each other.

I too was worried about my age but think of it as i've probably got at least 35 years left of working so want to spend that time doing something i'll hopefully love and with job satisfaction.

Hopefully speak soon. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happytaloolaxxx)
    Hi

Ive just joined and have no idea if im doing this right!!

Im very simiar to you. I'm 31 and starting my access course in September. I've given up a okish paid job, and i have 2 young children, so like you a bit nervous at all the change. However I'm so excited to start in a career which has always interested me and I luckily have a supportive husband who is with me 100% on this.

Im hoping to start uni sept 2017 so hopefully we can be a bit of support for each other.

I too was worried about my age but think of it as i've probably got at least 35 years left of working so want to spend that time doing something i'll hopefully love and with job satisfaction.

Hopefully speak soon. X
    Hi there

We certainly sound alike in many ways. I like what you said about having at least 35 years of working life life, as the days when I've doubted myself and questioned if i am doing the right thing, I have thought about that very same fact.

Would be good to keep in touch and find out how your journey progresses

ReputationRep:
    I completed the same access course as you in 2014/2015

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.