Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I stopped doing my lessons a while back as I had no motivation and I was too busy with studies and work also, however I've decided to start them again due to the fact it'll be so much easier to commute to different places

I'm just really nervous, although I feel confident in myself, I've just got a few things that I remember not being very good at in my previous lessons.

1) starting off without stalling, I try to always put more gas on but I think my problem is I loose the clutch up too quickly?

2) turning corners and steering in general, turning corners I have no idea how to approach them, do I slow down, change gear into second, bring my foot off the clutch and then steer around or keep the clutch down?

Plus steering, I can never seem to coordinate where the far tyre is so I tend to kind of drift to one side of the road and I'm not sure how other people drive around corners so easily

I know they sound pretty simple but they're just getting on my nerves that out of all the things they are what's making me anxious

Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    If you're this worried about these aspects of driving after some lessons, maybe you should think about getting a different instructor. They should be able to tell you exactly how to correct your mistakes in order to help your learning. With what you're worried about, I'd recommend you ask your instructor to take you to a quiet estate or car park for a bit. Starting and steering are very basic and important aspects of driving and you need to be confident with these before you think about going on the bigger roads.

When turning around corners, you MUST bring up the clutch. Not doing so is called coasting and is an automatic fail in the test if they catch you. So basically, use the brake to slow you down, then change into a lower gear (2nd probably) BRING UP THE CLUTCH and move around the corner safely.
    As for staying in the middle, I also had some trouble to start with. Just try and line up the car between the kerb and the white line.

Hope this helped! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choirgirl99)
    If you're this worried about these aspects of driving after some lessons, maybe you should think about getting a different instructor. They should be able to tell you exactly how to correct your mistakes in order to help your learning. With what you're worried about, I'd recommend you ask your instructor to take you to a quiet estate or car park for a bit. Starting and steering are very basic and important aspects of driving and you need to be confident with these before you think about going on the bigger roads.

When turning around corners, you MUST bring up the clutch. Not doing so is called coasting and is an automatic fail in the test if they catch you. So basically, use the brake to slow you down, then change into a lower gear (2nd probably) BRING UP THE CLUTCH and move around the corner safely.
    As for staying in the middle, I also had some trouble to start with. Just try and line up the car between the kerb and the white line.

Hope this helped! xx
    Thank you for the reply, my instructor notices me doing these things and he does tell me what I'm doing wrong on how to fix it, but I kind of have a domino effect in my mind when something goes wrong everything else goes wrong too, I start to panic and I'm just focused on getting going again and not really taking in what he's saying

I think most my nerves are coming from the fact I haven't been on the road in a while and being back behind the wheel, I think I'll be okay when I'm actually driving and my mind won't have time to overthink it all

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test over a year ago now but I only drive in the university holidays so I also get a bit nervous about having forgotten everything even though it's always fine. I like to start off with a short journey that I know well just to get back into it so maybe try that?

I know this sounds extremely obvious but try not to panic in your lesson. There are dual controls so everything will be fine whatever you do. Just think logically about what you have to do next and it shouldn't leave any room for panic. Maybe try writing down the sequence of actions and go through it before your lesson so you just do it automatically without thinking about it.

Good luck!
    • Welcome Squad

Hey,

I passed my test after plenty of times thinking that I would never pass. I actually quit at one point. You CAN do it, you are safe with your instructor there with you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.