What is translocation and why is it active?

Watch
Bigbosshead
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As above.

Thanks
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Translocation" is actually quite a vague term. In general it means moving things from one place to another. It can mean moving dissolved substances across a membrane, which is active because it uses proteins that pump substances across the membrane using ATP. Alternatively it can mean the movement of proteins from the ER (where they are synthesised) to wherever they are needed in the cell. This can be done in several ways, but again, they are active because they are facilitated by proteins that hydrolyse ATP.
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bigbosshead)
As above.

Thanks
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
"Translocation" is actually quite a vague term. In general it means moving things from one place to another. It can mean moving dissolved substances across a membrane, which is active because it uses proteins that pump substances across the membrane using ATP. Alternatively it can mean the movement of proteins from the ER (where they are synthesised) to wherever they are needed in the cell. This can be done in several ways, but again, they are active because they are facilitated by proteins that hydrolyse ATP.
As anosmian says really.

In simple terms for living organisms it means something moves from one area of the organism to another. I know it from my horticulture exams where there are learning outcomes on translocated pesticides and fertilisers. E.g. Thiacloprid is a translocated insecticide which you apply as a liquid drench to the roots of the plant. It is then translocated to all parts of the plant. It is also known as systemic.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's moving from one place to another.

It takes Determination, Destination, and Deliberation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads