Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA C1 higher GCSE Chemistry 19th May 2016 post-exam thread discussion Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say it's all done and over...

I feel like I've missed some big marks on this one. Especially with the last question on hardening vegetable oils. I started talking about (for some reason) in some detail that they are mixed into emulsions to create margerine etc...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=redsoules;64945249]Just wanted to say it's all done and over...

I feel like I've missed some big marks on this one. Especially with the last question on hardening vegetable oils. I started talking about (for some reason) in some detail that they are mixed into emulsions to create margerine etc...[/QUOTE

I thought it was much easier than that biology exam there was nothing too difficult on it

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Peter_McCreesh90;64945357]
    (Original post by redsoules)
    Just wanted to say it's all done and over...

I feel like I've missed some big marks on this one. Especially with the last question on hardening vegetable oils. I started talking about (for some reason) in some detail that they are mixed into emulsions to create margerine etc...[/QUOTE

I thought it was much easier than that biology exam there was nothing too difficult on it
    Biology's exam issue wasn't that it was hard; it was that the questions were specifically difficult in regards to our syllabus. They made the questions completely out of context (pretty much).

This exam had questions that AGAIN didn't fully correlate with the syllabus. Missing some very big pieces of of the syllabus (wasting time and effort revising) to talk about a 16[?] mark question in total for something we've hardly been taught.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=redsoules;64945451]
    (Original post by Peter_McCreesh90)

Biology's exam issue wasn't that it was hard; it was that the questions were specifically difficult in regards to our syllabus. They made the questions completely out of context (pretty much).

This exam had questions that AGAIN didn't fully correlate with the syllabus. Missing some very big pieces of of the syllabus (wasting time and effort revising) to talk about a 16[?] mark question in total for something we've hardly been taught.
    What question was that??

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=surina16;64945583]
    (Original post by redsoules)

What question was that??
    It wasn't just one question, it was 16 or 18 marks comprised of separate questions all about the same thing. Pretty sure it was the veg oils part. Completely screwed it up. Talked about emulsifying the veg oil (which is true) but I don't think hardening them is concerned with that... not sure. Just hope I get at least 2/18 of those marks or something lol...

ReputationRep:
    I did so good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor.Fagrad)
    I did so good
    You think? How come?

ReputationRep:
    This was so easy compared to biology. At least it has something to do with chemistry. I revised for history, geography, business, P.S.H.E, drama and music just in case...What was the correct answer to the balancing equations question? Also, what was the key points to the answer of the ethanol and water filtration?What do you guys think the grade boundary was?Hope we all did well Pray to the lord

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdyvsrebel)
    This was so easy compared to biology. At least it has something to do with chemistry. I revised for history, geography, business, P.S.H.E, drama and music just in case...What was the correct answer to the balancing equations question? Also, what was the key points to the answer of the ethanol and water filtration?What do you guys think the grade boundary was?Hope we all did well Pray to the lord
    2Fe2O3+ 3C = 4Fe+ 3CO2

Key points:

Water boils at a higher temp than Ethanol.
    Ethanol evaporates and condenses in the condensor column.
    After condensing the drop/drippings/droplets fall into a separate beaker to form pure ethanol.

Grade boundary speculations are wild at the moment... people suggesting as high as 57 for A* which is absolutely terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    It was actually alright after a lot of panic!! Think the grade boundaries are going to be quite high though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.