The Student Room Group

Walking out of a job

I did a no show at my job for two weeks in a row (I work one shift a week) so I haven't been in for two weeks.

I am scheduled to be in tomorrow and I was debating whether or not I should just go in and tell them I am leaving instead of no-showing again, however I have got a phone call from my new job saying my induction is tomorrow (at the time I am supposed to be working). I have already signed my contract at my new job etc they didn't ask for a reference so that's fine, however what I am worried about is the P45? I have already filled out the payroll information for my new job, it's that 'starter information' you fill out instead of a P45 when you haven't had a job before, I know because thats the form I filled out when I started my first (current) job, its that thing where you tell them if you have any students loans,have you been paid any benefits since april 1, etc, have you had another job since april 1, etc. I was told by my new manager to fill this out, she didn't ask for a p45, even though she knows I have had a job before.

Will I ever need that P45 for anything else or am I fine without it? I guess you can always just request it from the HMRC, right?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You should do the decent thing and tell them that you've quit..

Keep in mind they could ask you for a reference at any point, especially if you're on "probation" for three months which is common..

You might need to get your P45...How are you expecting HMRC to know that this isn't a second job? They work with the information accordingly...and you need it for tax purposes in the future...
Reply 2
If you haven't shown up for 2 weeks there's no point of going in tomorrow. I worked in retail for around 5 years and when people wanted to leave the majority didn't even work a notice period, they just stopped turning up so it was kinda obvious that they had left. I think if you wanted to be courteous, call them up and tell them you won't be coming in because you've found another job but it won't affect your p45. If need be, HMRC will sort out any problems not your previous employers.
Reply 3
Original post by Jackieox
You should do the decent thing and tell them that you've quit..

Keep in mind they could ask you for a reference at any point, especially if you're on "probation" for three months which is common..

You might need to get your P45...How are you expecting HMRC to know that this isn't a second job? They work with the information accordingly...and you need it for tax purposes in the future...

Nope i work in fast food lol

Nevermind, I have just called HMRC and told them I have 'lost my p45', they said they dont issue another one, and to just tell my employer that I have lost it and they will make me fill out a starter form and thats it. I have already filled out that form without being asked about my p45 so its all good I guess.
Reply 4
Original post by aarora
If you haven't shown up for 2 weeks there's no point of going in tomorrow. I worked in retail for around 5 years and when people wanted to leave the majority didn't even work a notice period, they just stopped turning up so it was kinda obvious that they had left. I think if you wanted to be courteous, call them up and tell them you won't be coming in because you've found another job but it won't affect your p45. If need be, HMRC will sort out any problems not your previous employers.

Yeah they wont miss me, I only do one shift a week anyway :smile: I would have thought retail was higher end and people wouldnt just not show up though! I work in fast food and people have walked out mid-shift and some people only do ONE shift and then never show up again lmao
(edited 7 years ago)
OMG i am in the exact same situation fast food as well but I start my new job on monday and i'm really worried they're going to check up on my previous employer
Reply 6
Original post by jawsontheflooor
OMG i am in the exact same situation fast food as well but I start my new job on monday and i'm really worried they're going to check up on my previous employer

Whats your new job?
My new job is fast food as wel so they dont even ask for referees. I wasnt asked for referees when i got my current job either.
If you are working in something 'higher up' than fast food like retail then they might check them, did you have to put referees details on your application form? Tbh if you already have a start date then they wont check up! They would call your previous employers after you accepted the offer and before you started. So if you are already starting on Monday then dont worry, they wouldnt have scheduled you if they called your employer and got a bad reference :smile:

And did you just stop showing up as well?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lolakirk
Whats your new job?
My new job is fast food as wel so they dont even ask for referees. I wasnt asked for referees when i got my current job either.
If you are working in something 'higher up' than fast food like retail then they might check them, did you have to put referees details on your application form? Tbh if you already have a start date then they wont check up! They would call your previous employers after you accepted the offer and before you started. So if you are already starting on Monday then dont worry, they wouldnt have scheduled you if they called your employer and got a bad reference :smile:

And did you just stop showing up as well?

Topshop so yeah retail. They asked me to bring details of a reference from my previous job to my induction on Monday. But even if they do I can't imagine the manager saying anything bad about me expect from the fact I didn't tell them I was leaving.
Yeah I literally just stopped showing up in September last year , I was never shown any respect there whatsoever.
Reply 8
Topshop so yeah retail. They asked me to bring details of a reference from my previous job to my induction on Monday. But even if they do I can't imagine the manager saying anything bad about me expect from the fact I didn't tell them I was leaving.
Yeah I literally just stopped showing up in September last year , I was never shown any respect there whatsoever.

So they want your previous job's phone number. Tbh if you are working fast food, they will probably only give a factual reference, I work at Mcdonalds and they only give a factual reference, so the dates you have worked and the position. I guess they may tell them your sick days and if you did no shows etc, as that is also factual information. They would definitely mention that you just left without notice though! And I am guessing you didnt even ask your previous job for a reference, you have to ask your manager to be one before you give out their phone number, Im guessing you wont ask since you left ages ago on bad terms! Honestly if they want a referee, ask a teacher to be a reference, OR just get one of your friends to be a referee and pretend they are a manager at your old job! Trust me lots of people do this
So they want your previous job's phone number. Tbh if you are working fast food, they will probably only give a factual reference, I work at Mcdonalds and they only give a factual reference, so the dates you have worked and the position. I guess they may tell them your sick days and if you did no shows etc, as that is also factual information. They would definitely mention that you just left without notice though! And I am guessing you didnt even ask your previous job for a reference, you have to ask your manager to be one before you give out their phone number, Im guessing you wont ask since you left ages ago on bad terms! Honestly if they want a referee, ask a teacher to be a reference, OR just get one of your friends to be a referee and pretend they are a manager at your old job! Trust me lots of people do this

Hmm yeah I used to work in McDonalds
I never had any no shows, the asking a friend to be a referee could work although i'd feel guilty. I think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and write a letter to my old manager explaining why I never came back
Reply 10
Hmm yeah I used to work in McDonalds
I never had any no shows, the asking a friend to be a referee could work although i'd feel guilty. I think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and write a letter to my old manager explaining why I never came back

You left without informing the manager that you were leaving, that's a no show. If you do it three times in a row, its considered job abandonment and they consider it as if you had quit. You really dont have to contact your old manager, they would 100% mention that you did a no show and never showed up again and didnt serve your notice period, and if Topshop hears this, they will not hire you. Your old manager really wont care why you left, he gets people doing this all the time. But he will tell your new employer that you abandoned your job, thats what a reference is for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nope i work in fast food lol

Nevermind, I have just called HMRC and told them I have 'lost my p45', they said they dont issue another one, and to just tell my employer that I have lost it and they will make me fill out a starter form and thats it. I have already filled out that form without being asked about my p45 so its all good I guess.

Quite a few jobs in fast food do still ask for references and have probation periods you know.
Reply 12
Original post by Emma:-)
Quite a few jobs in fast food do still ask for references and have probation periods you know.

Cool story, but my new job doesnt ask for references, you know. My probationary period is 1 month and if you are ****, they just fire you, they won't call up McShit and ask them why you are such a bad worker.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Jackieox

How are you expecting HMRC to know that this isn't a second job?

Omg if you dont know something, you can just ignore the thread instead of being condescening and asking irrelevant questions. As I told you,they made me fill out a form for HMRC on which I had to state whether I am doing other work/previous work/benefits/income, etc for tax purposes aka the starter pack. Advice for next time: maybe try actually reading the OP before you post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cool story, but my new job doesnt ask for references, you know. My probationary period is 1 month and if you are ****, they just fire you, they won't call up McShit and ask them why you are such a bad worker.

Where are you even working now?
Reply 15
Original post by Emma:-)
Where are you even working now?

It really shouldn't concern you.
Still pretty porr manners and immature to not just turn up and fail to inform them. A phone call, letter or email is all it would have taken.
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
Still pretty porr manners and immature to not just turn up and fail to inform them. A phone call, letter or email is all it would have taken.

Cool story, they really don't deserve the 20p it would take me to call them or the 3 minutes it would take me to write an email. Maybe if they didn't act so shitty they wouldn't have people just walking out and not giving a **** about them. I suggest you go in and do your poor manners speech to them, they desperately need it.
Cool story, they really don't deserve the 20p it would take me to call them or the 3 minutes it would take me to write an email. Maybe if they didn't act so shitty they wouldn't have people just walking out and not giving a **** about them. I suggest you go in and do your poor manners speech to them, they desperately need it.

You fail to see that no matter how rubbish they are, your solution is immature. The way you handled it reflects on you.
Reply 19
Original post by 999tigger
You fail to see that no matter how rubbish they are, your solution is immature. The way you handled it reflects on you.

OK, I will cry myself to sleep tonight then, it sucks being so immature, 999tigger. I wish I was mature like you are. We can't all be perfect, can we?

Quick Reply