Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anybody help?

I submitted my dissertation last week, but since I've noticed a mistake which i'm worried about (translate, in floods of tears about ha).I didn't star one of my significant correlations (and it was an important one!) in my correlation table. Obviously I talked about it being significant in the results and discussion sections so it's not like I've ignored it, it's just that in the table there is an asterisk missing. I've also made a stupid rounding error, not enough to really alter the results - just looks careless if it helps I've then gone on to use the correlation results as the basis for another more advanced analysis (so they're important but not the ultimate finding).

It's a stupid mistake and it's all my fault, but there was so much to check and I guess I glazed over it at the time I'm scared it will be the difference between a first (which I had a shot at) and 2:1, or worse! I'm devastated.

Is there anything I can do?! It's so annoying to lose a potential grade to an editing/typing mistake! I was so tired and my brain was so full in the last few days before submission that I guess I just didn't see it at the time :/ should I email my tutors? I don't think they'd let me change it but is it worth a shot?! Or should I just hope the markers will understand and not penalise me too much (I suspect they'll notice though).

Our dissertations cap our marks, I'm on track for a first otherwise. What should I do? Am I screwed?! Or do you think it's not too major an issue and I'm making mountains out of molehills?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura2706)
    Hi, can anybody help?

I submitted my dissertation last week, but since I've noticed a mistake which i'm worried about (translate, in floods of tears about ha).I didn't star one of my significant correlations (and it was an important one!) in my correlation table. Obviously I talked about it being significant in the results and discussion sections so it's not like I've ignored it, it's just that in the table there is an asterisk missing. I've also made a stupid rounding error, not enough to really alter the results - just looks careless if it helps I've then gone on to use the correlation results as the basis for another more advanced analysis (so they're important but not the ultimate finding).

It's a stupid mistake and it's all my fault, but there was so much to check and I guess I glazed over it at the time I'm scared it will be the difference between a first (which I had a shot at) and 2:1, or worse! I'm devastated.

Is there anything I can do?! It's so annoying to lose a potential grade to an editing/typing mistake! I was so tired and my brain was so full in the last few days before submission that I guess I just didn't see it at the time :/ should I email my tutors? I don't think they'd let me change it but is it worth a shot?! Or should I just hope the markers will understand and not penalise me too much (I suspect they'll notice though).

Our dissertations cap our marks, I'm on track for a first otherwise. What should I do? Am I screwed?! Or do you think it's not too major an issue and I'm making mountains out of molehills?

Thanks
    I did the same, conceptual error in an essay in my current MPHIL last week. Emailed the markers only to be told deadlines are deadlines and I just have to live with it.

I guess it's same here, just got to focus on your exams like me. Don't worry too much, it's sunk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura2706)
    Hi, can anybody help?

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry too much right now, you've probably been under enough stress already!!!

Infact I am sure this is why most people never check stuff after they send it off (but don't worry about it now)

It's definitely worth emailing your tutors, at worst they will just say "tough luck" but you never know until you try

However I do think you're "making mountains out of molehills"

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Dissertation markers only mark you down by 1 or 2 points (if that) if there's a mistake or error. As long as the rest of it is of a high standard, you will get a good mark. They're not that harsh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.