Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello, I was sitting on my computer today and out of the blue I get a phone call from the police station, telling me they need to have a chat with me, and give me a warning for cyber crimes.

Although, the issue is, that I dont recall ever using the software they stated in the letter. They said my name was on its database, but I wouldnt have used those kinds of software years ago?

I use them now for legitimate purposes, to test products, before i release to public, but Im thinking of just stopping. It means leaving a part of cyber security vulnerable. But I guess I dont mind.

On another note, I was asked loads of questions about what I do and know, of course I was honest; I dont really have much knowledge of this software, only the basics, and I think they expected me to know a lot.

I told them i was using it for legitimate purposes, but they said the overall software can be used for mal purposes, and I can be seen apart of it. <- Thats the reason im touching this kind of stuff anymore.

The officers were nice, and I was given a contact number,
    I was asked if I had any questions, but was quite shocked at the time to be hearing all of this, I just agreed to everything and signed the paper, stating I have a warning.

Should I contact the officer to clear things up? If I contact him what should I say? Or should I just leave it at this warning, knowing I have not committed any crimes?

The letter said the crime was committed 3 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    You dun goofed anon

EDIT: if it is a genuine summons, go...

I dont really have much knowledge of this software, only the basics,

I dont mean this software, i mean these types of software

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello, I was sitting on my computer today and out of the blue I get a phone call from the police station, telling me they need to have a chat with me, and give me a warning for cyber crimes.

Although, the issue is, that I dont recall ever using the software they stated in the letter.
    Phone call or letter? Seems legit.

I just agreed to everything and signed the paper, stating I have a warning.
    So you've accepted a caution?

Should I contact the officer to clear things up?
    Clear what up? You've accepted the caution and so admitted to guilt.

(Original post by Reue)
    Phone call or letter? Seems legit.

So you've accepted a caution?

Clear what up? You've accepted the caution and so admitted to guilt.
    They phoned me, i went there, they gave me a letter.

Its not even a caution, its below a caution, a warning. (i think)

And I didnt have a choice but to accept.
    If you were stressed and in the middle of exam period what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    They phoned me, i went there, they gave me a letter.

Its not even a caution, its below a caution, a warning. (i think)

And I didnt have a choice but to accept.
    If you were stressed and in the middle of exam period what would you do?
    I'd speak to a lawyer before signing anything the police gave me.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fishy... you sure it was legit?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Reue. Check this with a lawyer first before you do anything else. But idk... a phone call sounds pretty legit. So it's probably best if you don't ignore this.

Chances are it's just a misunderstanding. But don't take the whole "I didn't do it, so I'll stop responding" attitude, because that could get you into even more trouble.

(Original post by Reue)
    I'd speak to a lawyer before signing anything the police gave me.
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Sounds fishy... you sure it was legit?
    (Original post by Converse&Roses)
    I agree with Reue. Check this with a lawyer first before you do anything else. But idk... a phone call sounds pretty legit. So it's probably best if you don't ignore this.

Chances are it's just a misunderstanding. But don't take the whole "I didn't do it, so I'll stop responding" attitude, because that could get you into even more trouble.
    I see, they said its a warning, so nothing on job applications or anything.

It was legit, they rang me and wanted to come to my house, it sounded a bit fishy so I told them I would go there just to be secure.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Even CAB would be able to give you advice on this, if you can't speak to a lawyer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.