Examiners marking exam papers? (AQA AS/A level)

Watch
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,
does anyone know what examiners do if a student gives an answer that isn't listed on the mark scheme with other answers but could possibly be correct? Do examiners check/ask about answers they are not sure about as in- not sure if the answer a student gave- whether it's correct or not?

In my AS law exam, I wrote an answer that isn't on any of AQA's past paper mark schemes for the same question. After looking at their past paper's mark schemes- it only listed two cases and mine wasn't on there.
I know it's valid though since I had gotten the answer from Parliament's Hansard site which explains the conversations held by ministers from both houses of Parliament. I did spell it wrong however which is freaking me out but if they typed my point google, they would see it isn't me making up answers.

My fear is that when an examiner is marking my work, he/she would automatically think it's incorrect because it isn't listed on the mark scheme without checking it's validity.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cherry82)
Hey guys,
does anyone know what examiners do if a student gives an answer that isn't listed on the mark scheme with other answers but could possibly be correct? Do examiners check/ask about answers they are not sure about as in- not sure if the answer a student gave- whether it's correct or not?

In my AS law exam, I wrote an answer that isn't on any of AQA's past paper mark schemes for the same question. After looking at their past paper's mark schemes- it only listed two cases and mine wasn't on there.
I know it's valid though since I had gotten the answer from Parliament's Hansard site which explains the conversations held by ministers from both houses of Parliament. I did spell it wrong however which is freaking me out but if they typed my point google, they would see it isn't me making up answers.

My fear is that when an examiner is marking my work, he/she would automatically think it's incorrect because it isn't listed on the mark scheme without checking it's validity.
It depends on the exam. Some will say "or any other valid point", which means that other logical answers will be accepted. Some exams will only accept what is listed on the mark scheme. If you have the mark scheme you should be able to find this information on there.
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
It depends on the exam. Some will say "or any other valid point", which means that other logical answers will be accepted. Some exams will only accept what is listed on the mark scheme. If you have the mark scheme you should be able to find this information on there.
Hmm, sigh I haven't seen that on any of AQA's law mark schemes for AS so I'm sure I'm screwed. Just praying who ever makes that question looks beyond.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads