Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently started to absolute love learning Spanish, it has become my favourite subject. The fact that I have only recently started enjoying Spanish is an issue though. I have worked tirelessly to improve my grades in the subject. I used to get primarily Ds, even a U at one point. I've got my reading and writing to an A/A* and I did great in my speaking exam. But listening is my main fault, i can't get above a C/B, this brings down my grade. And since I plan on taking it for A-level it's pretty important that I get a good grade. I realise that it might be too late but any advice and tips would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Grieve)
    I have recently started to absolute love learning Spanish, it has become my favourite subject. The fact that I have only recently started enjoying Spanish is an issue though. I have worked tirelessly to improve my grades in the subject. I used to get primarily Ds, even a U at one point. I've got my reading and writing to an A/A* and I did great in my speaking exam. But listening is my main fault, i can't get above a C/B, this brings down my grade. And since I plan on taking it for A-level it's pretty important that I get a good grade. I realise that it might be too late but any advice and tips would be great
    Hi Scott,

Last years listening was notoriously hard and i know of many schools that complained, including mine, at how complex it was. Upon reflection the grade boundaries were very low for that listening. Hopefully, in theory, this year should be easier.

With regards to some tips, always listen to the second repetition of the audio even if you think you got it right. Also watch out for 'fake answers' where the audio tries to catch you out by saying one thing, but the answer is actually in the next sentence...if that makes sense. Just listen very carefully and think of possible answers or what you might be looking out for to write into you answer box.

Before the exam begins you are given 5 minutes to look over the paper I believe.When you do this, skip to the back of the paper to the 'harder' questions where you have to usually write words or sentences instead of ticking boxes. Here translate any Spanish on the paper and maybe write down some words you think you might hear in the audio. These questions are where the A and A* grades come into play and by looking and understanding the question before hand you can be much more prepared for this hard section.

Hopefully with a bit of vocab looking over tonight you will be able to complete the first few 'easy' tick box questions.

Be confident and listen hard!

There is a copy of the official Edexcel 'vocab' list on my Spanish thread dedicated to this exam:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4100001

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackCollard)
    Hi Scott,

Last years listening was notoriously hard and i know of many schools that complained, including mine, at how complex it was. Upon reflection the grade boundaries were very low for that listening. Hopefully, in theory, this year should be easier.

With regards to some tips, always listen to the second repetition of the audio even if you think you got it right. Also watch out for 'fake answers' where the audio tries to catch you out by saying one thing, but the answer is actually in the next sentence...if that makes sense. Just listen very carefully and think of possible answers or what you might be looking out for to write into you answer box.

Before the exam begins you are given 5 minutes to look over the paper I believe.When you do this, skip to the back of the paper to the 'harder' questions where you have to usually write words or sentences instead of ticking boxes. Here translate any Spanish on the paper and maybe write down some words you think you might hear in the audio. These questions are where the A and A* grades come into play and by looking and understanding the question before hand you can be much more prepared for this hard section.

Hopefully with a bit of vocab looking over tonight you will be able to complete the first few 'easy' tick box questions.

Be confident and listen hard!

There is a copy of the official Edexcel 'vocal' list on my Spanish thread dedicated to this exam:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4100001
    Thanks! that's some really good advice. I'll let you know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit nervous to for the listening exam tomorrow. I find it quite hard compared to the German and French which I already did, since in Spanish they speak much faster and seem to have quite a strong accent. What I usually do it translate the hard questions or simply the verb to find out more or less what they are looking for. Also you maybe already know this but for I think section 3 it is, the two pages will the multiple chice they mention all the three possible answers, yet of course only one is right so make sure you look out specifically for what they are asking. Other then that good luck and I hope CIE was nice to us!

ReputationRep:
    Guys how did u find it ? It was edexcel igcse right ?
    I'm wondering if u know where to find the unofficial marks scheme ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.