Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Keeping a long story short, im from the north but want to study law in London. Is it possible to live and study full time in london completely off student loans/grant/bursary? Its around 8/9k i think from someone moving to london for studying (loan).
    Im not one to go out to party often etc. so would be a sensible non extravagant lifestyle. ( Applying to Uni in september). I dont want to be working part time since i want to keep my head on studying. Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It depends where in London you're living. The more central, the higher your rent would generally be.

ReputationRep:
    It would be in student accommodation. Probably central since most law schools (Westminster etc.) are in central. Do you think it's feasible to live strictly off loans/grants as a student? I'd be 18 when I'm at uni.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I managed. But I wasn't someone who went out drinking every night. And uni was within walking distance.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to actually live, do not study in London. Your income will be swallowed up by extortionate rent and prices of goods. I'm on the outskirts of London and about a 40 minute train journey into the capital. Much cheaper to live and much more enjoyable as you will enjoy London for what it is, rather than what you have to put up with every day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyshall)
    If you want to actually live, do not study in London. Your income will be swallowed up by extortionate rent and prices of goods. I'm on the outskirts of London and about a 40 minute train journey into the capital. Much cheaper to live and much more enjoyable as you will enjoy London for what it is, rather than what you have to put up with every day.
    Heard the outskirts of london is really rough? Also wouldnt i have to use private rent which would cost alot more than student accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray048)
    Heard the outskirts of london is really rough? Also wouldnt i have to use private rent which would cost alot more than student accomodation?
    I don't live in London at all, I'm on the outside of London in Hertfordshire. Hertfordshire is ok! Student Housing in London is just as outrageous as private rent. I was paying £1000 a month for a Unite Students flat and all you got was a shared kitchen and a tiny room!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyshall)
    I don't live in London at all, I'm on the outside of London in Hertfordshire. Hertfordshire is ok! Student Housing in London is just as outrageous as private rent. I was paying £1000 a month for a Unite Students flat and all you got was a shared kitchen and a tiny room!
    I don't know where hertfordshire is tbh, im from manchester, any advice on areas i should look into for cheap accomodation? Or any uni's which should have priority? The main attraction for London to me is its 'law central' and the nightlife is amazing. Since you seem to know about it would love to hear any suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    London is a megacity. Each borough is the size of a normal sized British city, so saying 'the outskirts are rough' is like saying 'Wales is rough'. Some parts of London are not places you would want to go to even during the daytime. Some parts are about as dangerous as a small village in the Cotswolds. You have to do some research to find out which is which.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, I don't think that's enough. Even with living in greater London, my rent was over 700 a month. You will definitely need extra funding to live and not just survive

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where hertfordshire is tbh, im from manchester, any advice on areas i should look into for cheap accomodation? Or any uni's which should have priority? The main attraction for London to me is its 'law central' and the nightlife is amazing. Since you seem to know about it would love to hear any suggestions.
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...%20to%20london

ReputationRep:
    i live and study in the london. If you can get a part time job its doable - this has really helped me. Also could try finding out about all the student discounts you're entitled to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Why study in London? It's stupidly sky-high.

I'm in Oxford and that's bad enough. These landlords just LOVE bleeding students dry for some sadistic reason which should be illegal! Could not imagine the horrors of prices in London.

Pick unis outside of London. There's plenty of opportunities to live in London after your graduate when you can actually afford to. But, why bother if you know you won't be able to afford it? (I base this conclusion on your premise of asking about London's prices).

I say, go for cheap places if money is a concern for you. I've had money issues for uni and it's one of the worst things you could experience, esp as a student where you have to budget regardless of where you live already.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be able to afford London if my parents didn't offer to cover part of my accommodation, but I imagine that the exact amount of disposable income you will get will vary widely depending on the student.

One of the most realistic-looking cost calculations can be found on Imperial's website, here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/.../living-costs/ Bear in mind that the accommodation figure is unlikely to go below £150 for an undergrad living in Zone 1, and that the "leisure" budget can be added to or subtracted from depending on how studious (or poor :P ) you're feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was in a similar position to you last year, I'm from Northern England and was choosing where to apply to study law. I applied to KCL and got an offer, and I was convinced that I would firm it, until I visited it. I love London, but after speaking to several students, I just couldn't imagine myself having the kind of student life that i wanted to have in London.
    Although the London universities have great employer links and you've got the buzz of living in London, it felt more like I would be going to work each day, rather than being at university. Obviously it depends on the uni as to the structure of the campuses etc, but generally life is more complicated, and as I want to one day work/live in London, I chose to firm a different university so that I can have a few years of carefree student life, and not miss out on the full student experience.
    Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.