Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    And don't you forget it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Thanks to all those who posted in reply to my problem. A note though. Much of Australian law is derived from the laws of those countries which make up the United Kingdom. To exemplify this, I managed to win a previous discussion on representation in contract law a little while ago. I did this by researching a case I found in my textbook where the defence cited a case from 1603 England in order to prove a precedent. It worked wonders for that man and now me
    Most notably England and Wales Your tort rules are practically the same when I read up on Dow Jones v Gutnick. Shame it didn't happen in England first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by law man)
    My own view is that while there is a need for a representative judiciary, this should only be achieved within the framwork of meritorious principles. A meritorious system of appointment should be an absolute requirement and not subject to any qualifications. This is not to say that I don't favour ethnic representation in the judiciary, but it is to say that I believe the judiciary's quality is an overriding requirement.
    I agree but I'm not entirely convinced that the logistics of the legal profession are completely fair or indeed meritocratic. Wasn't really after a debate on this note but looks like I've got it (hoping to bring it up next academic year in full)

I just wanted to see the odds for someone outside of Oxbridge getting in the profession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I just wanted to see the odds for someone outside of Oxbridge getting in the profession
    Roughly 80% of the Law Lords are Oxbridge-educated. The figure is a little lower for the Court of Appeal and lower again for the rest of the Supreme Court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Roughly 80% of the Law Lords are Oxbridge-educated. The figure is a little lower for the Court of Appeal and lower again for the rest of the Supreme Court.
    You're one of the few people I know who addresses these courts as the Supreme Court

ReputationRep:
    You're one of the few people I know who addresses these courts as the Supreme Court
    It's correct though. Yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    It's correct though. Yes?
    Yes for some strange reason we decided to have a Supreme Court, even though we don't have one. If you get what I mean lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes for some strange reason we decided to have a Supreme Court, even though we don't have one. If you get what I mean lol
    Anyone a dab hand at libel/Qualified privilege? If so i'd be grateful if they could answer a question for me - it's too long winded to write out, so I'll just wait until someone says 'yes', and then i'll post it.

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody recommend some general things to read before deciding on a degree in law? I would be studying Scot's Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    Anyone a dab hand at libel/Qualified privilege? If so i'd be grateful if they could answer a question for me - it's too long winded to write out, so I'll just wait until someone says 'yes', and then i'll post it.
    Well... either way you'll have to write the whole thing out. So why does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Can anybody recommend some general things to read before deciding on a degree in law? I would be studying Scot's Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Well... either way you'll have to write the whole thing out. So why does it matter?
    OK, If, a general meeting of a public company, a chairman accuses his predecessor (who is not present) of wrongdoing, then the meeting is protected by qualified privilege meaning that a reporter can repeat the libel, so long as it is in the public interest.
    However as GMs of public companies fall under part II of the Schedule to the deformation act, the person libelled can request that the publication publishes a letter from him contradicting or explaining the allegations made by him by the chairmen.
    My query, is that if he refutes the claim, he is effectively calling the chairman a liar and therefore defaming him? So to publish the letter would be to repeat his libel? Would it not?

ReputationRep:
    yes-i am very much keen to know as much as i can abt the uni of london external program.in fact i will b sending my application in a day or two.these learning forums have been quite helpful.i wud luv to b part of the UKL Law Society

ReputationRep:
    OK, If, a general meeting of a public company, a chairman accuses his predecessor (who is not present) of wrongdoing, then the meeting is protected by qualified privilege meaning that a reporter can repeat the libel, so long as it is in the public interest.
    However as GMs of public companies fall under part II of the Schedule to the deformation act, the person libelled can request that the publication publishes a letter from him contradicting or explaining the allegations made by him by the chairmen.
    My query, is that if he refutes the claim, he is effectively calling the chairman a liar and therefore defaming him? So to publish the letter would be to repeat his libel? Would it not?
    What is the nature of the wrongdoing?

It may just be an opinion, which is not always defamatory.

I hope law man or someone else joins in. I've not studied tort yet.

ReputationRep:
    What is the nature of the wrongdoing?

It may just be an opinion, which is not always defamatory.

I hope law man or someone else joins in. I've not studied tort yet.
    I don't know, lets just say that whatever the chairman says, it's defamatory, but it's protected by qualified privilege so can be printed by the reporter?
    I hope someone can help, it's bugging me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, lets just say that whatever the chairman says, it's defamatory, but it's protected by qualified privilege so can be printed by the reporter?
    I hope someone can help, it's bugging me!
    Probably not because the reporter doesn't have the qualified privilege.

ReputationRep:
    Please can I join? I'm hoping to go to Cambridge and study Law, I've just been on a Law Summer School there and loved it. Just starting to read 'The Law Machine' now.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Please can I join? I'm hoping to go to Cambridge and study Law, I've just been on a Law Summer School there and loved it. Just starting to read 'The Law Machine' now.....

Welcome aboard. I'll add you in the members list

ReputationRep:
    hiya

i'd love to be a member of the UKL Law Society COUNT ME IN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetest Dreams)
    hiya

i'd love to be a member of the UKL Law Society COUNT ME IN
    I'll add you in. Welcome

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.