Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dweezil)
    Could someone please tell me if this sounds feasable: I have just done my AS exams, getting A in biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths, but realised that, university and career wise, the sciences are not form me, so I have decided to do law. I am planning to carry on with biology, chemistry and maths at A2 and, in my own time, do a cram course in law (both the AS and A2 courses) in 1 year. To anyone who has done a law A-level course, does this sound possible, or is the whole course too much? I ask because I have noticed how some subjects have much larger syllabus' than others (eg biology is much larger than chemistry) so if the law syllabus is big I'm worried that I might struggle.

Also, do you think the lack of a range of subjects (ie theyre all sciences) will have a detrimental effect on my university application, especially to the top unis such as Oxbridge, Warick etc?

Thanks a lot for any help!
    dont worry at all!! i did physics maths chemistry A levels but decided law was for me, so i rounded it out with AS art and eng lit (so it looked like i was an all rounder with arts and sci).

forget the law as/a2 cram course, cos alot of unis dont like you having the alevel: oxford actually told me it was a disadvantage!! as long as you can explain why you want to do law convincingly on the personal statement + interview, should be ok.

concentrate on getting the best possible A2 grades, with the cram course you might be taking on too much.science is more learning whereas law is more reading and writing. afetr alevels when you have 3 mths off, read widely in law esp As/A2 books as i did and you will find you wont be disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    forget the law as/a2 cram course, cos alot of unis dont like you having the alevel: oxford actually told me it was a disadvantage!!
    I've been to certain colleges and their opinions differ.

as long as you can explain why you want to do law convincingly on the personal statement + interview, should be ok.
    Yes, irrespective of the GCE 'A' level law, if taken.

read widely in law esp As/A2 books as i did and you will find you wont be disadvantaged.
    Doesn't that defeat the object since taking GCE 'A' level law is a disadvantage? I'd read degree level books and have done whilst studying GCE 'A' levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Doesn't that defeat the object since taking GCE 'A' level law is a disadvantage? I'd read degree level books and have done whilst studying GCE 'A' levels.
    you have to understand, people coming from a all science/arts (non law) background have very little knowledge about law. i found that reading the alevel books alongside my preliminary reading (understanding the law-geoffrey rivlin, vv good) and background reading. this has made some areas alot clearer.

do you or anyone else know how much weight do BVC/LPC/traineeships/law employers generally place on alevel grades? with most students getting a 2:1 or even a 1st, how do they discriminate between applicants?cos my friends at APU (YAY!) have CDD at alevel, but want to work in law yet i've heard alevel grades are considered strongly.

ReputationRep:
    you have to understand, people coming from a all science/arts (non law) background have very little knowledge about law.
    Not always true but I see your point.

i found that reading the alevel books alongside my preliminary reading (understanding the law-geoffrey rivlin, vv good) and background reading.
    If it works for you then good. I know why universities can dislike candidates with A level law, but who's to say that they never bothered to go further than their normal textbook? I did this when I could not udnerstand the reasoning of a case.

do you or anyone else know how much weight do BVC/LPC/traineeships/law employers generally place on alevel grades?
    I would assume BVC look at A level grades much more importantly than LPC but it depends on the employers mainly.

with most students getting a 2:1 or even a 1st, how do they discriminate between applicants?
    I hear they look at their involvement at university, so an active candidate who went to moot competitions and took part in their university law society could be favoured than someoen with a first from a degree of equivalent excellence.

cos my friends at APU (YAY!) have CDD at alevel, but want to work in law yet i've heard alevel grades are considered strongly.
    What does your friend want out of the law degree?

ReputationRep:
    lol got some conflicting replies there but thanks for the help! Do you think the fact I would be doing the course outside of school - and therefore under my own motivation - would be a plus from the unis point of view? Would history be a suitably arty/writy course do you think? ta

ReputationRep:
    Would history be a suitably arty/writy course do you think? ta
    History will be a great subject to study. I might have to pick it up myself unfortunately.

If you study anything outside of normal hours or at a different place than your usual college I'd see if you can make that known. I might do that if Reading College will let me take Critical Thinking GCE 'A' level.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the help. Would universities be turned off by a law A-level because they want to work with a blank sheet, or a similar reason? Which Oxford colleges in particular were less opposed to it? Ooh and would a critical thinking AS be good? Cos I go to school in reading too so thats a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Would universities be turned off by a law A-level because they want to work with a blank sheet, or a similar reason?
    Some are but the extent which they are turned off by it differs. LSE has it on their blacklist but if you have two other 'A' levels not on the list then they won't mind too much.

Which Oxford colleges in particular were less opposed to it?
    Generally speaking the older ones frown upon it more. Reading there wesbsites won't help though because they fiddle with their statistics.

Ooh and would a critical thinking AS be good? Cos I go to school in reading too so thats a possibility.
    Yes I'd do it. I'm desparately trying to find a college/sixth form near me that would let me take it now.

ReputationRep:
    If you study anything outside of normal hours or at a different place than your usual college I'd see if you can make that known. I might do that if Reading College will let me take Critical Thinking GCE 'A' level.
    yes, if you do it in your own time, put it in your p.s. as it shows independant learning, dedication to the subject and motivation. this is what i did with english.(dont take english, it doesnt teach you anything). hist might be best, or maybe govt and politics. maybe your school can fit in a couple of lessons of this in your 'free periods', or maybe one of your teachers might help you after school/during lunch hours etc.

What does your friend want out of the law degree?
    BVC or LPC in london with london firm sponsorship. they are the BESTbestBEST at mooting and all general law things. im sure they'll get a 1st definately, but they have such cr*p alevel grades.do you think it'll matter? i always thought law needed high grades at alevel. or is this just to get in to do the LLB?

ReputationRep:
    would an AS in one of these subjects be enough, or should I go for the cram course? Sorry to continually pick ur brains on this stuff but u seem to know all about it! I'll be applying to LSE so thanks a lot for mentioning that!

ReputationRep:
    yes, if you do it in your own time, put it in your p.s. as it shows independant learning, dedication to the subject and motivation.
    Or the teacher's reference.

this is what i did with english.(dont take english, it doesnt teach you anything).
    I know, which is why I refused to consider it when my tutor suggested a third whole 'A' level to take. I told him the amount of students who study this subject who have a poorer knowledge of 'pure' English language than other students and he was well aware of that.

It was either history, geography or critical thinking for me. History is taught at the college, geography at a school we have a link with so timetabling might be an issue and critical thinking they won't accept external candidates. Although I study there the fact that it is not a taught subject means I can't take an exam there. Even though I feel I can do well in it, which will be both in the interest of my college and myself.

hist might be best, or maybe govt and politics. maybe your school can fit in a couple of lessons of this in your 'free periods', or maybe one of your teachers might help you after school/during lunch hours etc.
    BVC or LPC in london with london firm sponsorship. they are the BESTbestBEST at mooting and all general law things. im sure they'll get a 1st definately, but they have such cr*p alevel grades.do you think it'll matter?
    I think the classification of the degree will outweigh their 'A' level grades. It might be a better idea to take the LPC route than the BVC route for them though.

i always thought law needed high grades at alevel. or is this just to get in to do the LLB?
    Depends what you mean high. AAA is not vital as people say it is, you can get BBB and go to a pretty good law school anyway (Queen Mary for example [5*B for RAE]).

ReputationRep:
    would an AS in one of these subjects be enough, or should I go for the cram course?...I'll be applying to LSE so thanks a lot for mentioning that!
    For LSE I'd advice 3 full 'A' levels, and perhaps one AS if you can do it.

PS I prefer KCL

ReputationRep:
    For LSE I'd advice 3 full 'A' levels, and perhaps one AS if you can do it.

PS I prefer KCL
    Ok, what about Oxbridge? And what's KCL?? lol

ReputationRep:
    Ok, what about Oxbridge? And what's KCL?? lol
    Oxford yes, Cambridge no. KCL you know full well - King's College London.

ReputationRep:
    would love to join. i am an avce business studies and a level law student thinking of studying law at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennysimpson)
    would love to join. i am an avce business studies and a level law student thinking of studying law at degree level.
    I'll add you to the list

ReputationRep:
    alot of my booklist is no longer printed. any advice? and is everyone trying to get devlins 1950 the enforcent of morals or hart's law,liberty and morality?

any non alevel law students doing law llb? im scared now!!!

ReputationRep:
    Cicero: "we all want justice for ourselves, not the other person"

"a jury is just 12 people to decide who has the better lawyer"

ReputationRep:
    alot of my booklist is no longer printed. any advice? and is everyone trying to get devlins 1950 the enforcent of morals or hart's law,liberty and morality?
    See UK Student Law when the site is up again You have a PM on there

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join - just started at KCL

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2010

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.