Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ~Yay! i can join the law society now! i'm going to be starting in 2 weeks at Uni of NSW in Sydney doing Commerce/Law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard)
    ~Yay! i can join the law society now! i'm going to be starting in 2 weeks at Uni of NSW in Sydney doing Commerce/Law
    Cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    That's debatable. Here's some background http://www.lawreports.co.uk/hlpc_nov0.9.htm and http://www.lawreports.co.uk/hlpc_nov0.8.htm

Remember which Parliament is sovereign.
    It is little to do with what Parliament is sovereign, although I am perfectly aware that it is Westminister.

It is actually pertains to the 1707 Act of Union, which protects the independence of the Scottish court system - the 1707 act states that no Scottish case can be heard in an English court. (ie. any court exercising jurisdiction in Scotland cannot be part of the courts of England and Wales. The problem lies where the are establishing a "UK" Supreme Court) Although since the Act of Union Westminister has been sovereign, Scotland is completely judicially independant. (When a Scottish civil appeal case is held in the House of Lords it is considered a Scottish court. There is no Scots Law criminal appeal to the HoL.)

It's a constitutional minefield, really. The Act of Union is considered "entrenched" so therefore is not subject to being ammended. The Faculty of Advocates predict that if the reforms go ahead as planned, any Scottish appeals presided over by a UK Supreme Court could be thrown out.

I hope I explained that clearly enough

ReputationRep:
    Can a sovereign body make an illegal law (excluding EU)? I know what you're saying but they do say that Parliament can make any law that is not impossible, although they are realistic restrictions. And if it does go ahead what will Scotland do exactly? I mean how can you enforce or guarantee your side of the situation? Perhaps an appeal to the International Court of Justice?

Then again, I argue that some parts of devolution are plain wrong. Why can't they just dump the MPs whose constituencies lie within Scotland, and plonk them in your devolved body? Why should Scottish MPs be able to legislate on England and Wales when it does not concern you?

So much for this 'union' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well... yes, an illegal law can be made - do you know of the Factortame case ? They certainly can be made, but as far as I'm aware they have all been repealed to date. (although Factortame was contrary to EU law, so not really the point I wanted to make, but regardless ! )

Certainly, any law made in Parliament today can be repealed by the next government that comes along. The rub with the Act of Union is that it is considered entrenched, so although that technically cannot be repealed (although according to one of Dicey's tennants a government cannot bind its successor so I'm sure someone could try.) the law which enacts a UK Supreme Court certainlly could. (yes, highly impractical, etc etc but the possibility is there.) Is this what you meant by your question ?

And yes, I see your practical implications... if this is challenged after the establishment of the Supreme Court, any appeal would go to... well, the Supreme Court ! And by application of the Faculty of Advocates' logic then any decision on it wouldn't stand ! It's like going round in circles.

Personally, I think the present system is just fine and I really don't see the need for a Supreme Court and all the upheaval it would surely bring with it. What's your overall opinion ?

Yes, the old devolution chestnut. I absoltely think that Scottish MPs are required in Westminister. Afterall, this is the sovereign body, therefore we should have a voice in it. Not to mention all the reserved matters that affect Scotland. As for the West Lothian question... I've never came up with an answer that I've been entirely satisfied with, except that perhaps Scottish MPs shouldn't be able to vote on matters that don't affect Scotland. (Although it is plain to see in practise that this doesn't happen - top up fees, anyone ?! My MP was one of the Scottish ones to vote with Blair on that one. Although I guess English top up fees have an indirect affect on Scotland... still I don't think it was necessary.)

So yes, so much for the "union" !

Thank you for jogging my memory of all the wonderful Public Law I took in last year ! Heehee !

ReputationRep:
    I did state excluding EU. Parliament is still theoretically sovereign because they can withdraw at any time they so wished. It can be argued that all European laws made are effectively British by virtue of following the European Communities Act 1972.

Government's don't repeal legislation themselves, they may introduce legislation for Parliament to do so later on.

Scottish MPs can have a voice at Westminster when it affects the country as a whole when appropriate. Such instances will involve going to war, not matters that concern Welsh and English students. Blair would want to have relied on Scottish MPs for the Higher Education Bill because if he didn't, he was bound to be defeated at the Commons. As it was, with the Scottish MPs he only won by 5 votes on the issue of variable top up fees, despite his 163 majority (I think it is).

ReputationRep:
    You're awful pedantic aren't you? I'm assuming a higher level of knowledge of you so I didn't find it necessary to explain to you in full how acts are repealed. Likewise, I am acutely aware of how Parliament operates under EC Law.

I was enjoying a friendly debate but to be honest, I found that last post to be rather patronising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAmy)
    I found that last post to be rather patronising.
    That was not my intention. Apologies.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join the Law Society.1st year Business and Law student at Liverpool Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAD)
    I'd like to join the Law Society.1st year Business and Law student at Liverpool Uni.
    Thank you for joining

ReputationRep:
    Please can I join? because I'm really interested in Law and want to study it at uni so i think it would be really useful.

ReputationRep:
    i done AS law and i loved it i didnt think any of it was bland. i cant wait to go 2 uni n study law :punk: p.s anyone planning on going to do law at liverpool john moores university??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil em sweetie)
    Please can I join? because I'm really interested in Law and want to study it at uni so i think it would be really useful.
    Sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleigh123)
    i done AS law and i loved it i didnt think any of it was bland. i cant wait to go 2 uni n study law :punk: p.s anyone planning on going to do law at liverpool john moores university??
    I've applied to Liverpool University rather than Liverpool JMU.

ReputationRep:
    Il join please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonders)
    Il join please!
    Welcome. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    can i join

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adogintheocean)
    can i join
    Sure

ReputationRep:
    are there any uni law students online atm? id like a little help with something, wont take more than 5 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidney thief)
    are there any uni law students online atm? id like a little help with something, wont take more than 5 mins
    Law student here...online till 12.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.