Law Society - General Interest thread Watch

Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ooh im joining
Ok I have a question for a friend. She's decided she wants to be a barrister and head down the Criminal law route. We're picking our 3rd year modules and she wasnt sure if;
a) Coursework or exams modules, do they have any bearing? (I told her no!)
b) Should she take any traditional modules? Or will any do?
c) Do you specialize during the BVC rather than now? (So doesnt matter what you chose)
d) Do module choices restrict you in any way?

TY for any help! :p:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Absinth)
Ah, I see. What are you thinking of doing a Masters in? I'm also contemplating one, even though it's way too early for me to be thinking about it. :p:
Criminology at Cambridge. Or politics at LSE or something. Need a first before I can think of this anyway. I have the finances to poay for it from working over the past two years.
Absinth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nice.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3858948.ece

I know this is a exception, but what do you guys think ?
Denny Crane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey every one, I need some help, I doing a BTEC in business and im predicted DDD=AAA At A-levels, I've contacted all the unis i'm interested in (i.e. durham, bristol, sheffield, UEA, York, SOAS and leicester) and they say that they accept BTECs and they will consider an application from me. The thing is since I'm doing a BTEC i dont have to sit any exams but for entry to a couple of these unis, I have to sit the LNAT. Does anyone know what I can do to prepare for the LNAT, anything I should read, any practice test I should take etc. one more thing, can anyone suggest any interesting law books I can read or websites I can visit, Thanks in advance.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
(Original post by psychedelic)
Does anyone know what I can do to prepare for the LNAT, anything I should read, any practice test I should take etc.
You can't prepare for it as such. You will have people who claim you can but they're just after your money on a useless scheme.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
(Original post by saaaqi)

What do you think though?
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
What do you think though?
Well to be honest I think she is very lucky indeed. Otherwise a third is hardly worth anything these days.
Denny Crane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well to be honest I think she is very lucky indeed. Otherwise a third is hardly worth anything these days.
I think you have to look at how long ago she achieve that third and how much experience she has. standards have increased and i think that more people get 2.1 and 2.2 than people who get thirds. so a third wont get anyone very far, IMO.
Damn, I was going for thoughtful.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You wouldn't get a training contract at Farrer and Co with a third today. Simple.

Having said that, she's obviously extremely competent. It's sad that academic "late bloomers" are so frowned upon today.
Machiavelli the prince
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I think that Mr Crew should get his facts straight before he writes articles: ''But a 32-year-old conveyancing lawyer, Simon Nosworthy, a law graduate of York University''. York have only just begun to offer the law course! Okay, i'm being pedantic, but it serves as an adequate distraction from revision.
RedDragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi I've just joined this society and I was wondering how many of you have done or are doing a Law degree and what's it like because I'm thinking of doing one. I don't know whether it would be better to to do a straight Law degree or do it with criminology.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedDragon)
Hi I've just joined this society and I was wondering how many of you have done or are doing a Law degree and what's it like because I'm thinking of doing one. I don't know whether it would be better to to do a straight Law degree or do it with criminology.
Do you enjoy criminology? If so do it. I think it's slightly underrated by students because it's not as fashionable as law or history, and is more of a postgraduate course too, but if you really enjoy it then why not? As long as your degree is still a qualifying law degree then I'd seriously consider it.
RedDragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you enjoy criminology? If so do it. I think it's slightly underrated by students because it's not as fashionable as law or history, and is more of a postgraduate course too, but if you really enjoy it then why not? As long as your degree is still a qualifying law degree then I'd seriously consider it.
Well actually I'm still at college and doing Law as one of my A-Levels which I throughly enjoy. I know it's different but I thought as I'm going to have send off my applications next year I might as well do some research in advance and ask here.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedDragon)
Well actually I'm still at college and doing Law as one of my A-Levels which I throughly enjoy. I know it's different but I thought as I'm going to have send off my applications next year I might as well do some research in advance and ask here.
What you could is try and find some criminology textbooks and request them from the British Library via your local library and give them a read. It costs 3.50 a book but when you only have five choices, it might be worth paying.
RedDragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just out of interest has anyone ever read Hansard? I just read the House of Lords one, quite interesting actually.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Used to have Hansard with me when I went to public (research) lectures.
RedDragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just looked at the latest debate in the Lords, the Torture (Damages) Bill caught my eye. It was quite informative. You might want to take a look.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
There's a Bill more to my liking that will be debated from tomorrow. Highly contentious. :cool:
RedDragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's a Bill more to my liking that will be debated from tomorrow. Highly contentious. :cool:
Oh yeah, what is it? Sounds interesting.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (627)
91%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
9%

Watched Threads