Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thanks for adding me!

no i dont need the 5As but that what i want to get, cos when u apply to to the BVC they look at your alevel results aswell as your degree class and background

anyone read the book 'discriminating lawyers' (i cant remember the author)? i recommend it highly to all women, ethnic minorities, non-oxbridge and non-private school people.

did you know that 8/4500 judges in uk are black women under 40? and did you know an oxbridge 3rd class degree had 3x higher chance of getting into the pupillage than a 1st class polytechnic degree? man that makes me mad :mad: !im a mixed race woman at a comprehensive school going to a polytechnic so im guessin no amout of As can help me be a barrister? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    WTF someone who is hoping to go to a university which is not Oxbridge or LSE. Blimey!

Hahah..v.funny!! I'm not too fussy about where I go as long as it is a red brick/respectable uni. I've looked at Oxford - It's not my 'cup of tea' you could say. I'm more of a City girl anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    thanks for adding me!

no i dont need the 5As but that what i want to get, cos when u apply to to the BVC they look at your alevel results aswell as your degree class and background

anyone read the book 'discriminating lawyers' (i cant remember the author)? i recommend it highly to all women, ethnic minorities, non-oxbridge and non-private school people.

did you know that 8/4500 judges in uk are black women under 40? and did you know an oxbridge 3rd class degree had 3x higher chance of getting into the pupillage than a 1st class polytechnic degree? man that makes me mad :mad: !im a mixed race woman at a comprehensive school going to a polytechnic so im guessin no amout of As can help me be a barrister? :mad:
    I am not aware of this material and will keep a look out for it. Whilst I know the situation must change for the legal profession, there are biases everywhere you go, not saying the book is lying etc but I hope you know what I mean.

We need more judges as it is! The scene is changing and I know only of one judge off by heart who went to a comprehensive school and he was the highest judge in the country so it's not like 'us' lot cannot make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    thanks for adding me!

I went to a comprehensive school but my sister went to a grammar school and so far we have got the same grades. I'm an ethnic minority too, but it doesn't stop me from achieving what I want. And just because you are going to a polytechnic does not mean it rules you out of being a barrister automatically. I know someone who went to Manchester Met. and now she a partner of a city law firm.
    You could qualify as a solicitor first and move your way up, it may be less difficult

ReputationRep:
    I am not aware of this material and will keep a look out for it. Whilst I know the situation must change for the legal profession, there are biases everywhere you go, not saying the book is lying etc but I hope you know what I mean.

We need more judges as it is! The scene is changing and I know only of one judge off by heart who went to a comprehensive school and he was the highest judge in the country so it's not like 'us' lot cannot make it.
    I agree. The Law system is changing from the "old boy network", gradually. and you will find such difficulties almost in every competitive profession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    You could qualify as a solicitor first and move your way up, it may be less difficult
    Move your way up to a what exactly? Not implying barristers are above solicitors are you? :rolleyes: Bit like the general public actually, think the barrister is the better one, when they are, in fact, different parts of the profession.

ReputationRep:
    Move your way up to a what exactly? Not implying barristers are above solicitors are you? :rolleyes: Bit like the general public actually, think the barrister is the better one, when they are, in fact, different parts of the profession.
    Well, who says that a barrister is better than a solicitor? I'm just saying that if she wants to become a barrister, (which is arguably more difficult) she could try the solicitor route first and then apply to become a barrister.

I'm saying that baristers are above solicitors in that they have a wider rights of audience,.... (hang on a min AS Level coming into effect here!)....they have full advocacy rights etc..

ReputationRep:
    and move your way up as in from a general solicitor to perhaps a partner

ReputationRep:
    Anglia Polytechnic I think it's called without looking it up. I looked at their prospectus and didn't think too much of it, but then that is just me, and I did the same for LSE too. Mind you Oxford's prospectus could be a lot better if they put more effort into writing them. That's what I liked about Liverpool
    I'm assuming then that you are at Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming then that you are at Liverpool?
    Not quite. First choice. Didn't know half of the universities when I applied though, knew them all after learning about league tables in my politics class. Time I did that I had already applied, ah well.

Leeds has an interesting masters I would not mind doing - LLM Cybercrime.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite. First choice. Didn't know half of the universities when I applied though, knew them all after learning about league tables in my politics class. Time I did that I had already applied, ah well.

Leeds has an interesting masters I would not mind doing - LLM Cybercrime.
    Oh right. Similiar outcome as me then. I just asked my sister which uni's did she apply too and chose the same ones because I couldn't be bothered researching and assumed that she had already done it. Later, I learned that she randomly chose the uni's :eek: it was too late by then anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Similiar outcome as me then. I just asked my sister which uni's did she apply too and chose the same ones because I couldn't be bothered researching and assumed that she had already done it. Later, I learned that she randomly chose the uni's :eek: it was too late by then anyway!
    Yes but one university may suit one better than another.

ReputationRep:
    An ongoing legal discussion, quite interesting actually:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthrea...475#post920475

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm going to be studying Law at Nottingham this september and im really looking forward to it!

By the way, in case you did not know already, here's a really cool way of getting valuble legal work experience and earning good money at the same. For the past year and half, In my holidays and whenever i have time to spare, i do outdoor clerking for a solicitors firm. Which basically means im a solicitors' representative and go to court on their behalf, help the defence barrister out (when they're too lazy to read up on the case at hand) etc etc and sometimes you're sent to police station interviews. So far my cases have included theft, rape and drugs matters... It's good fun, extremely interesting, and far more challenging and useful than doing boring old photocopying at a firm for no money. ANd it looked fab on my personal statement

It's not hard to get into either, techinically you're supposed to do a weeks training etc, but i never really, on my first day i just got given a case and told which court to go to, literally thrown in the deep end (so i suggest training peeps). If you're interested, the best people to ask are A) if youre at uni - youre course secretary/admin staff b) if you're not - just call up a firm and ask them, i guess.

It's kind of freelance so you can do it wherever and when ever you want, you're not bound to 9-5 hours or whatever, the day can range from anything to ten minutes in court to a hearing lasting all day (you generally get paid double for hearings lasting after 2pm). But you totally choose, i.e. the firm will call you up and ask if you're free or not. So if you're at uni and you're broke thats a cool 'part-time job', it beats sainsbury's.

Anyway, enough rambling, if anybody has any questions etc feel free to PM me.

Ciao x

ReputationRep:
    Ha! My mother has totally talked me out of doing law at uni and after spending time watching them all working im totally convinced. Although I love studying it at school id much rather report on it as a journo!

Another option if you dont get grades for Uni or dont want to go to Uni you can always do your law degree through doing your articles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthia7984)
    Hi all,

I'm going to be studying Law at Nottingham this september and im really looking forward to it!

By the way, in case you did not know already, here's a really cool way of getting valuble legal work experience and earning good money at the same. For the past year and half, In my holidays and whenever i have time to spare, i do outdoor clerking for a solicitors firm. Which basically means im a solicitors' representative and go to court on their behalf, help the defence barrister out (when they're too lazy to read up on the case at hand) etc etc and sometimes you're sent to police station interviews. So far my cases have included theft, rape and drugs matters... It's good fun, extremely interesting, and far more challenging and useful than doing boring old photocopying at a firm for no money. ANd it looked fab on my personal statement

It's not hard to get into either, techinically you're supposed to do a weeks training etc, but i never really, on my first day i just got given a case and told which court to go to, literally thrown in the deep end (so i suggest training peeps). If you're interested, the best people to ask are A) if youre at uni - youre course secretary/admin staff b) if you're not - just call up a firm and ask them, i guess.

It's kind of freelance so you can do it wherever and when ever you want, you're not bound to 9-5 hours or whatever, the day can range from anything to ten minutes in court to a hearing lasting all day (you generally get paid double for hearings lasting after 2pm). But you totally choose, i.e. the firm will call you up and ask if you're free or not. So if you're at uni and you're broke thats a cool 'part-time job', it beats sainsbury's.

Anyway, enough rambling, if anybody has any questions etc feel free to PM me.

Ciao x
    That's cool! As soon as I sart uni, I'm going to start looking at work placements etc. I've already got a list of firms I'm interested in. But what you are doing beats all that! I might just try it! Cheers for the idea!
    By the way - Prof. Zander is at Nottingham isnn't he? (At collge we had to learn his qoutes for Law..aloong with the likes of Denning and Devlin!)

ReputationRep:
    By the way - Prof. Zander is at Nottingham isnn't he? (At collge we had to learn his qoutes for Law..aloong with the likes of Denning and Devlin!)
    I thought he was at the London School of Economics.

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was at the London School of Economics.
    Is he? I swear my teacher said he was at Nottingham!

ReputationRep:
    Is he? I swear my teacher said he was at Nottingham!
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/people/[email protected]/ We all make mistakes. I think [Professor Sir] John Smith, another legal academic who writes mainly on criminal law, is currently at Nottingham. May be that is who he was thinking of.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/people/[email protected]/ We all make mistakes. I think [Professor Sir] John Smith, another legal academic who writes mainly on criminal law, is currently at Nottingham. May be that is who he was thinking of.
    omg. that means all this time we have been writing down the wrong qoutes! Honestly, and the teachers say that they do a good job! haha...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.