Turn on thread page Beta

This is totally awesome and for some reason I just found it. How do I join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessy_123)
    hey...i have my LNAT coming up next week...has anyone done it??cuz if you have could u please tell me ur past experience???or tell me anything about it please???
    thanks =]
    Step 1: learn how to type

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divide By Zero)
    Step 1: learn how to type
    With the exception of one statement the rest is typed in correct English,if you ignore the lack of proper punctuation. But as this is a student forum I don't think we need to worry about that and to be quite honest I have seen a lot worse on TSR. Now before this gets into a debate about English v Text Speak, I'm going to leave it. Trust me I have seen a debate about this and it wasn't pretty.

Moving swiftly on, how are we all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDragon)
    With the exception of one statement the rest is typed in correct English,if you ignore the lack of proper punctuation. But as this is a student forum I don't think we need to worry about that and to be quite honest I have seen a lot worse on TSR. Now before this gets into a debate about English v Text Speak, I'm going to leave it. Trust me I have seen a debate about this and it wasn't pretty.

Moving swiftly on, how are we all?

Not bad, thank you

Got a lot of reading to do (for college) and an assessment to be handed in next week...but just cant get away from the book I have recently purhased, the "Lawless world" by Philips Sand QC...Once I finish this one, its on to the introduction to Jurisprudence

So other then the prospect of completing the first assessment (and obsessing over UCAS), I am quite well

Hoe about you guys? what are you up to on this cold sunday night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    Not bad, thank you

Got a lot of reading to do (for college) and an assessment to be handed in next week...but just cant get away from the book I have recently purhased, the "Lawless world" by Philips Sand QC...Once I finish this one, its on to the introduction to Jurisprudence

So other then the prospect of completing the first assessment (and obsessing over UCAS), I am quite well

Hoe about you guys? what are you up to on this cold sunday night?
    I've got papers from the Resident Judges Conference to peruse at my leisure. Though I might leave that for tonight, I've got college tomorrow as well. Gah UCAS it's got beyond a mild irritation now.

ReputationRep:
    I've got papers from the Resident Judges Conference to peruse at my leisure. Though I might leave that for tonight, I've got college tomorrow.
    Sounds interesting! Enjoy it...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting! Enjoy it...
    Let's just say the CPS got a metaphorical battering. But I will thankyou. I hope you can get all your work done in time and then enjoy your book.

ReputationRep:
    Let's just say the CPS got a metaphorical battering. But I will thankyou. I hope you can get all your work done in time and then enjoy your book.

Will do...Although it is someytimes difficult to get on with the work, specially if you dont find it extremely interesting...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Will do...Although it is someytimes difficult to get on with the work, specially if you dont find it extremely interesting...:rolleyes:
    Yes I know what you mean, I have a Virgil essay to do but I don't find the Aeneid a very interesting book so have no motivation to do it. Anyway nice speaking to you, hopefully we will spot each other around TSR, but I have to go now and get some sleep. Goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know what you mean, I have a Virgil essay to do but I don't find the Aeneid a very interesting book so have no motivation to do it. Anyway nice speaking to you, hopefully we will spot each other around TSR, but I have to go now and get some sleep. Goodnight.
    Speak to you soon and good luck with that essay!

Sweet dreams

ReputationRep:
    Cud i join this society i wanna be a lawyer

hopefully go onto to become a barrister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegendKiller377)
    Cud i join this society i wanna be a lawyer

hopefully go onto to become a barrister
    If you are interested in being a barrister, and you need good advice on the BVC the Bar Society is good to join as well.

ReputationRep:
    This question has probably been asked loads of times...

Would I be disadvantaged with a degree from the University of Kent in trying to get into a good city firm?

I know that most of the applicants for training contracts will have degrees from Oxbridge/LSE/Bristol etc...

I'm just wondering whether it would be pointless getting into my insurance if I'm not able to get into a good city firm (obviously they would look at other factors asides from your degree...but just wondering the importance of that degree) or should I take a gap year and re-apply if I do not get into my firm choice?

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ѕнαℓiηα)
    This question has probably been asked loads of times...

Would I be disadvantaged with a degree from the University of Kent in trying to get into a good city firm?

I know that most of the applicants for training contracts will have degrees from Oxbridge/LSE/Bristol etc...

I'm just wondering whether it would be pointless getting into my insurance if I'm not able to get into a good city firm (obviously they would look at other factors asides from your degree...but just wondering the importance of that degree) or should I take a gap year and re-apply if I do not get into my firm choice?

x

I do not know if this is of any consolation, but I got an offer from Kent, Essex and Keel for LLB Law last year (through clearing) and decided not to take up any of them...I am applying again (see my sign) and if I dont make it this year, I will be trying the next...

Then again I am 22 so a mature student...

However, although it is not impossible to make it into MC from Kent, it might also be much harder and you might need to work twice harder to get experience and extra curriculums so to make an impression...

It is only you who can make this decision and only you know if you are prepared to wait for something that you originally aimed for, rather then take up your insurance...Btw, Kent is not a bad university, definitely not for law...

Best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    I do not know if this is of any consolation, but I got an offer from Kent, Essex and Keel for LLB Law last year (through clearing) and decided not to take up any of them...I am applying again (see my sign) and if I dont make it this year, I will be trying the next...

Then again I am 22 so a mature student...

However, although it is not impossible to make it into MC from Kent, it might also be much harder and you might need to work twice harder to get experience and extra curriculums so to make an impression...

It is only you who can make this decision and only you know if you are prepared to wait for something that you originally aimed for, rather then take up your insurance...Btw, Kent is not a bad university, definitely not for law...

Best of luck to you!
    Aww thanks for the reply.

I've decided if I just get offers/don't get into King's then I'm going to take a gap year and reapply. But I'm also gonna have a word with my mentor, he's at a city firm so he can ask the graduate recruitement people.

What did you do in your gap year? If I do take one I'm thinking of doing voluntary work in my local legal advice centre.

x

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks for the reply.

I've decided if I just get offers/don't get into King's then I'm going to take a gap year and reapply. But I'm also gonna have a word with my mentor, he's at a city firm so he can ask the graduate recruitement people.

What did you do in your gap year? If I do take one I'm thinking of doing voluntary work in my local legal advice centre.

x
    I didnt have a gap year lol...Long story, but I left school at 16 and moved to UK...Havent studied here until this year...

However, I already did one week placement at a solicitor firm and am planning on getting one more this year, possibly shadowing a barrister..a bit of diversity is never a bad thing I am lucky to know people who can help me with obtaining such placements though, as it is definitely not easy to do so, before you go to university...

If I were you, provided you do take a gap year, I'd apply to work at CAB or another Legal Advice Centre...you can also try and apply for work experience at various courts or CPS...

How are your grades? Maybe you could also do something academic to improve them (if you need that, of course)

You could also try and apply for a placement abroad...there are a few companies that do those (related to law, human rights etc., provided you can find something that you're interested in)...

ReputationRep:
    I didnt have a gap year lol...Long story, but I left school at 16 and moved to UK...Havent studied here until this year...

However, I already did one week placement at a solicitor firm and am planning on getting one more this year, possibly shadowing a barrister..a bit of diversity is never a bad thing I am lucky to know people who can help me with obtaining such placements though, as it is definitely not easy to do so, before you go to university...

If I were you, provided you do take a gap year, I'd apply to work at CAB or another Legal Advice Centre...you can also try and apply for work experience at various courts or CPS...

How are your grades? Maybe you could also do something academic to improve them (if you need that, of course)

You could also try and apply for a placement abroad...there are a few companies that do those (related to law, human rights etc., provided you can find something that you're interested in)...
    Hii thanks for replying again. I posted something in legal careers about 5 minutes ago regarding a letter for a scholarship offered by a MC firm...any advice on how to structure it?

Oooh which firm did you work at? Shadowing a barrister is so fun and interesting...I did it at Middle Temple...and it was amazing.

My grades aren't that great: AABB at AS, aiming for AAA at A2, not sure if I will get them, will have to see how it goes I guess.

I'd love to work abroad...but I doubt my parents will let me.

ReputationRep:
    Hii thanks for replying again. I posted something in legal careers about 5 minutes ago regarding a letter for a scholarship offered by a MC firm...any advice on how to structure it?

Oooh which firm did you work at? Shadowing a barrister is so fun and interesting...I did it at Middle Temple...and it was amazing.

My grades aren't that great: AABB at AS, aiming for AAA at A2, not sure if I will get them, will have to see how it goes I guess.

I'd love to work abroad...but I doubt my parents will let me.
    Well, if you are predicted AAA, then you do have a chance...you just have to work really really hard to actually get it

I worked for a solicitor firm in London, Hampstead...it was great but I am really looking forward to seeing and experiencing barrister's work too

As for the work abroad, dont stress if you cant do it...research it first, find something appealing, get all the possible information and only then sit down with your parents for the official discussion make sure you got answers to all the questions they might ask, so they can make an informed decision (hopefully to your benefit!)

As for the letter, I will have a look at it...

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you are predicted AAA, then you do have a chance...you just have to work really really hard to actually get it

I worked for a solicitor firm in London, Hampstead...it was great but I am really looking forward to seeing and experiencing barrister's work too

As for the work abroad, dont stress if you cant do it...research it first, find something appealing, get all the possible information and only then sit down with your parents for the official discussion make sure you got answers to all the questions they might ask, so they can make an informed decision (hopefully to your benefit!)

As for the letter, I will have a look at it...

xxx
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post15266698 Here's the thread. :]

Oh cool, sounds great. I loved my work experience...having tea with a judge was the highlight of my day. :yep:

Yeah...it's gonna take a long time to persuade the parents, they're still coming round to the idea of me moving out to go to uni.

X

ReputationRep:
    I just got my third offer - Birmingham this time :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.