NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
omg. that means all this time we have been writing down the wrong qoutes! Honestly, and the teachers say that they do a good job! haha...
I only really know one quote from Zander and that's on statutory interpretation - the literal rule being divorced from reality.

Wouldn't worry when teachers get it wrong. I have been known to seek recent cases such as Dietschmann (sp) from looking at his handouts and noting that they are wrong, because after the time of writing that case was appealed successfully. Also because I felt strongly he should not have been sentenced to murder. However, this happens with books and the examiners realise this. So when G and R was appealed against successfully, the candidates could get full marks without knowing that case (12 month rule), but if they did know it and used it they will gain extra credit for doing so.

Not sure how many quotes who have from academics. It's rare to be able to quote in an ELS exam I find, although I did with magistrates regarding their political affiliation. Pretty long one too I hasten to add.
~ o ~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Has anyone participated in any mock trial competitions?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Mooting competitions you mean? I like to anyone who is a member of our society who has. I should have some mooting competition links on the first page. Hopefully if I get where I'm meant to be going I can help retain the title for the ESU mooting competition

I saw a demo one at my invite to uni, thought it was a bit toned down. May be it was due to time and that some of us have not learnt about law yet. It was similar facts to Emmett, Jaggard, and Brown and Others.

I would like to know the rules of mooting competitions because I do not see academic's thoughts used by counsel. I'd be quite happy to quote Clarkson & Keating if it's permitted to argue my case, amongst with other things.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I was participating in it, our college was entered, our teacher called and pulled us out because she didn't feel we were committed. I was and the others seemed to be, ah well.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
What was the topic of the moot?
~ o ~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
I was participating in it, our college was entered, our teacher called and pulled us out because she didn't feel we were committed. I was and the others seemed to be, ah well.
Yeah, our college was in it. You were given 2 case studies, in which you had to prepare arguments for the Prosecution and the Defence, and then on the day they would tell you whether you were defending or prosecuting in that particular case. I can't remember properly (as it was last November/December when we did it) but one case was about the theft of a school computer and there were 2 possible D's (i think) and the other was about a paint tin being thrown at McDonalds during a protest.
It was good - but we only got to the regional heats - missed out on 1 point. :rolleyes:
*smile*
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Hiya, can I join? Am going to study law at Kings this Sept -grades permitting!!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
I'll add you in to the list, don't forget to put UKL Law Society member or something similar. Welcome Quite a few are going to the London colleges I see.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why is noone else going to do law at APU?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Because it's not Oxbridge, LSE, King's, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Durham
~ o ~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
has anyone got their reading/book list from uni yet?
thinktwice
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Add me to the list,please.I'm think of doing law at Uni.
Thanks.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey is anyone at uni doing law NOW? cos i really want to know the approximate cost of books in the first year. ive heard its very very expensive. also, is it true that Alevel law covers most of the course for the first year?will i be disadvantaged not having done alevel law?
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
add me as a member please.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
-Directed here-.

I'm Marya... now officially a second year at Oxford University, studying Law with Legal Studies in Europe.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
(Original post by magiccarpet)
hey is anyone at uni doing law NOW? cos i really want to know the approximate cost of books in the first year. ive heard its very very expensive. also, is it true that Alevel law covers most of the course for the first year?will i be disadvantaged not having done alevel law?
They ocst around £20-30 each. You should have about 4 books minimum each year for each module you study. In addition to these though I may consider reading additional textbooks such as cases and materials book with the set textbooks, such as Clarkson & Keating and not forget the journals and reports too - you don't have to buy those though.

I think you will be advantaged by doing A level law in the sense that you know already what it's like. Although granted that degree in law is a different 'ball game' to the A level. By studying at A level may filter out those candidtates who thought they might do it at degree level but would have become drop outs. You just can't commit 3 years of FT studying a subject you know so little of.
~ o ~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
They ocst around £20-30 each. You should have about 4 books minimum each year for each module you study. In addition to these though I may consider reading additional textbooks such as cases and materials book with the set textbooks, such as Clarkson & Keating and not forget the journals and reports too - you don't have to buy those though.

I think you will be advantaged by doing A level law in the sense that you know already what it's like. Although granted that degree in law is a different 'ball game' to the A level. By studying at A level may filter out those candidtates who thought they might do it at degree level but would have become drop outs. You just can't commit 3 years of FT studying a subject you know so little of.
Yeah, that is the main reason why I did it at A Level. I already decided to do a Law degree, but I said I would take A Level law first to see if I liked it. So I have actually got used to looking up new cases and reading up on an area etc.

So the avg cost for txt books will be approx £600 for the year? :confused: Then plus any other additional books. Not too much of a shock for me..my sister warned me that I would need to put aside £1000 for my books alone.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Yeah, that is the main reason why I did it at A Level. I already decided to do a Law degree, but I said I would take A Level law first to see if I liked it. So I have actually got used to looking up new cases and reading up on an area etc.

So the avg cost for txt books will be approx £600 for the year? :confused: Then plus any other additional books. Not too much of a shock for me..my sister warned me that I would need to put aside £1000 for my books alone.
No about £120 a year. The better the university library, the less you would have to buy anyway.
~ o ~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
No about £120 a year. The better the university library, the less you would have to buy anyway.
Only £120?! :eek: and here is me thinking it was around £600!
ushie
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
im going birmingham uni this september...is anyone else going there or is currently studying there?

will a degree from bham give me good foundation to start a career?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (90)
13.87%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (53)
8.17%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (83)
12.79%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (78)
12.02%
Other reasons are stopping me going (83)
12.79%
Nothing is stopping me going (262)
40.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise