Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ushie)
    im going birmingham uni this september...is anyone else going there or is currently studying there?

will a degree from bham give me good foundation to start a career?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    So the avg cost for txt books will be approx £600 for the year? :confused: Then plus any other additional books. Not too much of a shock for me..my sister warned me that I would need to put aside £1000 for my books alone.
    I spent around £800 in my first year.

ReputationRep:
    What books did you have to buy and why did you have to buy them for?

I only mentioned the amount what my lecturer told me, but it's been a long while since he graduated and things have changed a lot since.

ReputationRep:
    A impressive opening to this thread, makes me proud to be a member even if am out of place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    A impressive opening to this thread, makes me proud to be a member even if am out of place
    You keep suggesting you're out of place. I hope more will join at the start of the new academic year. It seems pretty quiet around here, guess people are taking a break!

ReputationRep:
    yeh seems like a gud idea. i wudnt mind being a part of this crew. im hopefully going to cambridge this yr if i do well neuff in the exams. not 100% confident yet. been given a reading list of 10 books. i need to read a minimum of 7 :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    You keep suggesting you're out of place.
    yeah with all these people saying yes i am going to do law at such and such its hardly suprising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    yeh seems like a gud idea. i wudnt mind being a part of this crew. im hopefully going to cambridge this yr if i do well neuff in the exams. not 100% confident yet. been given a reading list of 10 books. i need to read a minimum of 7 :confused:
    I hope you received my famous invite

It would be interesting to get debates going between students of different universities. I've always wondered why Oxbridge were considered the c'ream of the crop' for law, yet, they hardly win mooting competitions at all.

ReputationRep:
    which uni's do win the mooting comps?

ReputationRep:
    which uni's do win the mooting comps?
    I don't know how many there are but there is the ESU Essex Chambers one, JMU - John Moore's University, WLR - Weekly Law Reports one, there might be ones for the All England Law Reports, and there is a new speciailist one in intellectual property.

The main one is the ESU for which Liverpool are the title holders. Hopefully they will be next year and I can help them with retaining it

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how many there are but there is the ESU Essex Chambers one, JMU - John Moore's University, WLR - Weekly Law Reports one, there might be ones for the All England Law Reports, and there is a new speciailist one in intellectual property.

The main one is the ESU for which Liverpool are the title holders. Hopefully they will be next year and I can help them with retaining it
    Hmm.. not if Sheffield knock you off the top spot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Hmm.. not if Sheffield knock you off the top spot
    Who's Sheffield? :confused: j/k BTW Fancy taking on Oxford in the first round?

I feel a sense of competition here

When these mooting competitions starts, if any UKL memebers are participating in them please let everyone know!

ReputationRep:

haha..I'm sure Leeds nxt year will knock you off, if I have anything to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    haha..I'm sure Leeds nxt year will knock you off, if I have anything to do with it.
    I don't think they have won a major mooting competition for a long while now.

ReputationRep:
    meh.. Oxford won't even be considered a problem.

BTW.. where can you find results of recent mooting competitions?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they have won a major mooting competition for a long while now.
    Obviously...I'm not there yet! Anyway, the students should be of a 'higher standard' (you know what I mean!). First time Leeds have asked for AAA, they usually ask for ABB/AAB

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool? My mate is going there in Sept for law

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if this encouragement of increasing students into university of 48% or whatever it is, could help improve standards in the future's legal profession. David Cunnick (sp?) QC thinks the legal profession is such of a high standard as it is. He usually writes stuff on law in The Times. However, I'm not sure if he's read Michael Zander's book entitled "Cases and Materials on the English Legal System (Law in Context S.)". In case you don't know, it's not as efficient as the profession themselves make out, it's trust is why we think it's that good.

Here's a front cover of the book in question. If it's not in your reading list, please look out for it in your library, it's well worth a read. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...370402-3072459

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if this encouragement of increasing students into university of 48% or whatever it is, could help improve standards in the future's legal profession.
    no it probably wont. you might know about the govt. giving £30 a week to 6th formers starting in sept to try to get them to stay on instead of getting a job. this is the same year group going to have the bigger tuition fees and longer loan due to higher repayment thershold. the goverment will thus get their money back.

however, it means more people coming out with alevels and more competition for uni places. unless all uni's offering law increase the offers, more students entering an already croweded profession.. the standards wont go up.

oh yea, oxford isnt supposed to be good at mootings. hertfordshire has its own fake onsite courtroom but ive heard essex are good ...and so are apu? i read this in apu prospectus tho.

i've got a mooting session in the first induction week at uni. any tips? cos i've never done this before!

ReputationRep:
    sorry i forgot to say! someone was saying about the law alevel not helping much with those doing law degrees. an apu 2nd year student told me those with law alevel dont need to learn hardly anything for the first year, but this might just be at apu cos of different syllabuses

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2010

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.