Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered which college(s) offered the lowest grades for maths....

I've seen as high as AAA + STEP grade 1,1

Yet Peterhouse is just AA + STEP 1,2 (in any order) - i think the lowest i've seen.

St John's - AAA with STEP grade 1 or two grade 2's.

I wondered if anyone had seen higher or lower? (other than "EE" for the very brightest)

Does somewhere like Peterhouse have more applicants to places than somewhere which asks for AAA + STEP 1,1?

I think i have to limit my college choices to any that are AAB or AA as i dont think i will make AAA. Basically i expect to get AA in maths but geo/phys will both prolly be B's and hence applying for a college whos typical offer is AAA is prolly unwise?

Is there a website showing all the normal offers from each college?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well kings infamously has no STEP. And some of the unpopular colleges have 2,2 or 1,3 (like girton or one of the girls ones I think). 1,1 definitely isn't the highest, I've met a few people with S,1 and even S,S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I've met a few people with S,1 and even S,S.
    What did they do to upset the interviewers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Goto good private schools heh. Be arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chud)
    I think i have to limit my college choices to any that are AAB or AA as i dont think i will make AAA. Basically i expect to get AA in maths but geo/phys will both prolly be B's and hence applying for a college whos typical offer is AAA is prolly unwise?
    The typical offer does depend on the students who are given offers. If the students seem to be bright, they might ask them to get top grades to see that they do really want to go. If a student seems committed, but less likely to get a good grade, they might be more sympathetic. It's very difficult to forsee what sort of an offer you would be made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    if they had indeed upset the interviewers, they wouldn't even be given offers... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    if they had indeed upset the interviewers, they wouldn't even be given offers... :rolleyes:
    What if they were amazingly good, but an arrogant little sh*t. The interviewer knows that they should accept the best even if they don't like them, so they give them an offer, but a high one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Well kings infamously has no STEP. And some of the unpopular colleges have 2,2 or 1,3 (like girton or one of the girls ones I think). 1,1 definitely isn't the highest, I've met a few people with S,1 and even S,S.
    Yep, i got offered AAB plus 2,2 or 1,3 in STEP from girton. I was expecting it to be higher because its deferred entry.

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonnaB041986)
    Yep, i got offered AAB plus 2,2 or 1,3 in STEP from girton. I was expecting it to be higher because its deferred entry.

Donna
    -x-
    Cool thanks. If i have to spend another year in sixth form b4 uni im going to teach myself f.maths. Problem is an offer of 1 or 2 in STEP III is prolly gunna be impossible for me as i will have NO help what so ever! Thats why i asked. Hopefully i could get an offer of 1,3 which clearly is more possible!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chud)
    Cool thanks. If i have to spend another year in sixth form b4 uni im going to teach myself f.maths. Problem is an offer of 1 or 2 in STEP III is prolly gunna be impossible for me as i will have NO help what so ever! Thats why i asked. Hopefully i could get an offer of 1,3 which clearly is more possible!

Thanks.
    If you're not actually sitting the a level in further maths and are just teaching it to yourself, then they might just want you to do papers I and II for step, rather than II and III which is what my offer is for. Also, i think this year they had a special course in cambridge over easter or something for some people who were not able to get help from their school/college for the step papers, so if you do get an offer than you might have a chance to do that it they run it again next year.

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    As long as you know the basic further maths syllabus, lack of teaching is not a disadvantage at all, the change from II to III is not so much the material (though all the hyperbolics, more difficult differential equations, etc do come up more), but the multistep nature of the questions, and the trickyness. Like most of the STEP III questions I tackle are either differential equations, or just like basic AS level maths algebra used in unusual proofs. There's millions of questions where they just ask about the roots of equations, ask you to sketch graphs, deduce things about the roots from the nature of the graph, the turning points etc. It's all stuff you can do using AS/A2 maths but it's tricky and that's what makes it STEP III.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully they will make my offer STEP I and II but i will actually take the exams and hence get a grade in it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sat)
    The typical offer does depend on the students who are given offers. If the students seem to be bright, they might ask them to get top grades to see that they do really want to go. If a student seems committed, but less likely to get a good grade, they might be more sympathetic. It's very difficult to forsee what sort of an offer you would be made.

Can understand why, but cannot be convinced...

What if the promising students accidentally flunk the exam? Isn't Cam losing some of the most precious resource in this way?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone save a copy of Silkos older set of worked Step questions? The one with mechanics questions in it?

If you have it, please could you send me a copy to [email protected]

I would be most grateful!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.