Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Self-teaching watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to take an A-level exam outside school? If so, where is this possible and has anyone done it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is possible. I haven't done it A-Level, but I have done it at GCSE. The best way of finding out more, is to go to a website, e.g. www.edexcel.org.uk and find out their information on private candidates. It is better to go for exam boards which do not require coursework for subjects, as the marking of coursework means that it will be very, very expensive for you to take a qualification. I recommend looking at www.cie.org.uk as this is the board through which I sat my GCSEs outside of school. Also, I am intending to take my AS Politics qualification to A Level, outside of school. If you want to know anymroe about this kind of stuff, just write back or message me or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd)
    Is it possible to take an A-level exam outside school? If so, where is this possible and has anyone done it?
    Yes, I believe it is possible, it is called home learning I think, though it might cause problems especially motivation and social wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes, I believe it is possible, it is called home learning I think, though it might cause problems especially motivation and social wise.
    I was home educated. Motivation can be a problem, but it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    I do go to school, although because of timetabling I can't take all my AS subjects to A2, therefore I want to study one and take the exam outside school. What exams centre would I use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd)
    I do go to school, although because of timetabling I can't take all my AS subjects to A2, therefore I want to study one and take the exam outside school. What exams centre would I use?
    Hold on... you could learn outside of school, but arrange with your school to sit your exams there. You can do that where I did my A-levels. I know of people who did it.

ReputationRep:
    I have to be taught there to be able to take the exam, that's why I'm asking really.

ReputationRep:
    You could arrange to be entered at a local college, and teach yourself if the college's timetable also collides with your existing plans.

ReputationRep:
    You sure you cant come to an arrangement with your collage? I did, I taught myself both AS and A2 Computing because the collage dosent teach it, and then took the exam there. (of course they did use my grade in the school exam report... they added a column for Computing and under that put 100% of students get A's)

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself further maths at home as I was the only one in the year who wanted to do it. The school provided me with textbooks and I sat the exams there. It's not that hard, as long as you are prepared to motivate yourself. Indeed, it's a fairly liberating experience and is something nice to stick on the UCAS statement, showing you have developed your learning skills for an environment where the emphasis is placed more on the student than the teacher at university.

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself a significant majority of AS Maths, and sat the exams with everyone else.

I'll also be teaching myself more Maths modules for the upcoming A2 year - It shouldn't be a rpoblem, just ask permission from your school to teach yourself and then sit the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd)
    I've just finished self-teaching myself Government and Politics A-level. My school arranged for me to do my exams there. Otherwise for materials, I purchased a NEC distance learning folder, which had the basics in it on top of that old papers, mark schemes, examiners reports, books and the internet etc provided me the other half. The advantage of using distance learning is you get a tutor who you can submit work to, so although you are self-teaching yourself you get a bit of chance at some vital assessment so that you have some idea how well you are grasping the subject. Their website is www.nec.ac.uk , there are also other distance learning comparies about such as Oxford Distance Learning etc that offer various A-level courses, so if your interested in doing browsing around on the web is a good way to find information.

As someone else has already mentioned, I also found it a somewhat liberating experience, as well as a cracking plus to put on your personal statement! Just as importantly self-teaching is a far superior way of teaching vital independent study skills - or at least I have found it to be so - when compared to being taught by teachers. This has obvious advantages for future study.

I hope my waffle has been of some help to you, and if you want any further info PM or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd)
    I have to be taught there to be able to take the exam, that's why I'm asking really.
    That's pretty unfair if that's their position. I took exams as private entry at the school I went to no problem. If it was the subject teachers you asked then just go directly to the examinations officer and ask them.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.