The Student Room Group

How to write an A* character response answer?

I'm doing AQA English lit and I was wondering how to go about answering character questions?
Like I'm doing An Inspector calls and questions generally tend to be how is .... presented? how does Priestley present ...? Or how does Priestley present ... in the extract ...?

Basically, I wouldn't know how to structure an answer from this, I know you can P.E.E quotes and stuff, but I feel like theres something more to it, than just "P.E.E". I'm aiming for an A* and since I got an A in my coursework, I believe its possible as long as I put the same amount of effort as I did for my CA.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Original post by byaakun
I'm doing AQA English lit and I was wondering how to go about answering character questions?
Like I'm doing An Inspector calls and questions generally tend to be how is .... presented? how does Priestley present ...? Or how does Priestley present ... in the extract ...?

Basically, I wouldn't know how to structure an answer from this, I know you can P.E.E quotes and stuff, but I feel like theres something more to it, than just "P.E.E". I'm aiming for an A* and since I got an A in my coursework, I believe its possible as long as I put the same amount of effort as I did for my CA.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Use PEE, but edit it a little. What I do is kind of a PEE,E,EL structure.

Make your point, and then give a piece of evidence. Take one detail from the evidence, analyse it, and try to give an alternative interpretation. Say briefly how that links to the question. Then, take the next part of your evidence, analyse that, and so on. After you've finished analysing the quotation, give a 1-2 sentence summary of why what you've just said links to the question. This ensures that your answer is full and detailed, and the depth of your analysis will contribute to the sophistication of your essay, helping you to get a high band.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending