Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Football League to be extended to 5 leagues instead of 4! Good or Bad Watch

ReputationRep:
    Think it is a good Idea for the small clubs but might cause issues for clubs in the championship and league 1
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sw20defender)
    Think it is a good Idea for the small clubs but might cause issues for clubs in the championship and league 1
    I'd say its the other way round. Someone like Accrington Stanley or Crewe will rely heavily on gate receipts for their income. If they're playing 19 home games instead of 23, that decreases substantially. What incentive is there for them to vote for it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just needless, really. It's the Football League's authorities trying to expand the brand, but it won't work. They are clearly trying to make the product more marketable, more interesting, or whatever. But it's really not broke - so why are they intent on changing things? It's needless, and in my view, the more teams something has, the more it is devalued (i.e. Euro 2016).

ReputationRep:
    It's good because you would be able to play conference teams on fifa

ReputationRep:
    The Premier League remains the same but the Football League is planning to expand to 80 teams in 4 divisions. And most seem to want a North and South division, which can only make sense considering that money is tight in lower divisions and Hartlepool fans can't afford to go to Plymouth every year e.g.
    So our league pyramid would be Premier League, Championship, League One, League Two North, League Two South. And assuming this was in place for next season we'd have
    Championship: Newcastle, Norwich, Aston Villa, Hull or Sheff Wed, Brighton, Derby, Ipswich, Cardiff, Brentford, Birmingham, Preston, QPR, Leeds, Wolves, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest, Reading, Bristol City, Huddersfield, Fulham
    League One: Rotherham, Charlton, MK Dons, Bolton, Wigan, Burton Albion, Walsall, Millwall, Bradford, Barnsley, Scunthorpe, Coventry, Gillingham, Rochdale, Sheffield United, Port Vale, Peterborough, Bury, Southend, Swindon
    League Two North: Oldham, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Blackpool, Doncaster, Crewe, Northampton, Oxford United, Accrington, Cambridge, Carlisle, Mansfield, Hartlepool, Notts County, Morecambe, York, Grimsby, Tranmere, Wrexham
    League Two South: Colchester, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth, Portsmouth, AFC Wimbledon, Leyton Orient, Luton, Wycombe, Exeter, Barnet, Stevenage, Yeovil, Crawley, Newport County, Dagenham & Redbridge, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Braintree, Dover, Eastleigh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can't imagine the 8 or 9 bottom sides in each division will vote in favour and risk dropping down a tier, to be honest.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I guess it's to do with fixture congestion.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea I think. Though I can see why smaller clubs would be hesitant to lose 3 home games.

Would drastically reduce the number of meaningless games. Assuming they have 3 up, 3 down and the play-offs, you'll have nigh on half of the 80 clubs involved in some form. I can also see merit in the argument that less games would drive up quality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.