Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 534779
    Attachment 534779534781

how do you work out q 8 part iii) and also part iii) of the roots of polynomial question? (not the complex one)

I don't fully understand the markscheme. So if anyone could show the root of polynomial part iii) step by step that would be wonderful

For q 8...I got n/n-1 i believe ( i don't fully remember since I did it yesterday and i misplaced my working). But why is the answer 1- (n/n-1)?

Again workibg out would be extremely helpful. Thank you again!!

ReputationRep:
    Can't see what the pictures are, what year is it so o can look it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I this off the January 2012 paper?

The 1 comes from n/(n+1) tending to 1 as n tends to infinity. The -n/(n+1) comes from the fact that the sum to infinity is missing the first n terms. From this you get -n/(n+1) as this part isn't being cancelled out by an earlier term. Therefore you get 1- n/(n-1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Can't see what the pictures are, what year is it so o can look it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's paper june 2012 (ocr non mei). I apologise for the inconvenience! Something must have went wrong while attatching on my phone...

It is question 8 iii) and 6 part ii)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnydowe)
    I this off the January 2012 paper?

The 1 comes from n/(n+1) tending to 1 as n tends to infinity. The -n/(n+1) comes from the fact that the sum to infinity is missing the first n terms. From this you get -n/(n+1) as this part isn't being cancelled out by an earlier term. Therefore you get 1- n/(n-1)
    Oh I see thank you! It's the june 2012 paper ocr non mei. So when n tends to infinity the expression doesn't tend to 0 but 1? Just to confirm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulieEdiz)
    Oh I see thank you! It's the june 2012 paper ocr non mei. So when n tends to infinity the expression doesn't tend to 0 but 1? Just to confirm.
    Yeah. Because at infinite the difference between n and n+1 is basically zero. Hence you get n/n which = 1

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683760.298112.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  147.7 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683797.269914.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  132.3 KB my working out for them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should be noted that you can also use the equation from part i) to obtain 8/5 directly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnydowe)
    Yeah. Because at infinite the difference between n and n+1 is basically zero. Hence you get n/n which = 1
    Sorry it is late but i just wanted to ask..

sum of infinity from n+1= sum to infinity from 1 - sum from 1 to n...

Therefore why isn't it 0- n/n+1...

I understood what you said but it just doesn't make sense it i look at it from this point of view...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulieEdiz)
    Sorry it is late but i just wanted to ask..

sum of infinity from n+1= sum to infinity from 1 - sum from 1 to n...

Therefore why isn't it 0- n/n+1...

I understood what you said but it just doesn't make sense it i look at it from this point of view...
    Sum to infinity from n+1 is all terms from n+1 to infinity, i.e. n+1, n+2, n+3

Sum to infinity from 1 is 1, 2, 3, 4,5 etc including n+1 to infinity terms as they are inside of this region

sum from 1 to n is all terms 1,2,3,4,5 to n-1, and n.

so, from n+1 to infinity is sum from infinity from 1 minus the terms from 1 to n which you don't want, as you only want between n+1 and infinity

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.