Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. How many of you have gave paper 6 ( stats ) today? I gave paper 62 and it wasn't really that hard except a permutations question . What about you guys? How was the paper for you? I'm very happy because since P 12 was so easy so I expected this to be harder :P

ReputationRep:
    same here, definitely got that permutation and combinations question wrong but other than that everything else was pretty easy. grade boundaries must be really high.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true the paper was indeed too good to be true . I think i got the permutation question right although im not quite sure.
    I'm just waiting for the solutions to leak online

ReputationRep:
    the permutations question was easy!

i got one little query though-what was your answer to no.2 where they ask for the probability for time taken between 5-10 minutes? it was of only one mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamihaTahsin)
    the permutations question was easy!

i got one little query though-what was your answer to no.2 where they ask for the probability for time taken between 5-10 minutes? it was of only one mark.
    We just had to subtract the 2 probabilities. So the ans was 0.72 . What was your ans to the question of "exactly 6 letters between 2 W" mine was 20160 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some one)
    We just had to subtract the 2 probabilities. So the ans was 0.72 . What was your ans to the question of "exactly 6 letters between 2 W" mine was 20160 :/
    I got 3720 but I am not really sure about it since I considered them asking us an 8 letter alphabet. But my friend said it should be a 10 letter one and if that is the case, it would become different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coloneltreavy)
    I got 3720 but I am not really sure about it since I considered them asking us an 8 letter alphabet. But my friend said it should be a 10 letter one and if that is the case, it would become different.
    Yea we had to consider a 10 letter alphabet not 8 .

ReputationRep:

don't remember the exact value but it was pretty huge like the one you quoted. and i am quite sure mine is right, finished all the others real quick and had 25 mins to do the permutations.

ReputationRep:
    Yea we had to consider a 10 letter alphabet not 8 .
    Then 22320

ReputationRep:
    Then 22320
    Nah I don't think so.
    We had to first consider 3Ls between 2W then 2L between 2W then 1L then add them up.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I don't think so.
    We had to first consider 3Ls between 2W then 2L between 2W then 1L then add them up.
    This is exactly what I did.

With three Ls, you need to add a combination of 3 alphabets so 5C3
    Multiply it by 6P6 because 6 numbers and divide by 3!
    Repeat wit 2 L: 5C4*6P6/2!
    With 1L: 5C5*6P6
    We can consider W to W as a whole and 2 letters are left out so multiply the sum of previous example with 3! (This, I missed)

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what I did.

With three Ls, you need to add a combination of 3 alphabets so 5C3
    Multiply it by 6P6 because 6 numbers and divide by 3!
    Repeat wit 2 L: 5C4*6P6/2!
    With 1L: 5C5*6P6
    We can consider W to W as a whole and 2 letters are left out so multiply the sum of previous example with 3! (This, I missed)
    Yes you're right except that for 1L we have to multiply by 3!/2! Beacuse there are 2L outside now.

ReputationRep:
    This is how I did it:
    So first 3Ls between the the 2 W so we need three more letters from 5 more so 5C3, then arranging so
    5C3*(6!/3!)*3! = 7200
    Then 2Ls : 5C4*(6!/2!)*3! = 10800
    Then 1L : 5C5*6!*(3!/2!) = 2160
    Total arrangements = 7200+10800+2160=20160.

ReputationRep:
    This is how I did it:
    So first 3Ls between the the 2 W so we need three more letters from 5 more so 5C3, then arranging so
    5C3*(6!/3!)*3! = 7200
    Then 2Ls : 5C4*(6!/2!)*3! = 10800
    Then 1L : 5C5*6!*(3!/2!) = 2160
    Total arrangements = 7200+10800+2160=20160.
    You're right. This makes sense. I wonder if they will give me any marks :')

ReputationRep:
    I bet you will score 2/4 marks for method (which isn't too bad)

ReputationRep:
    I bet you will score 2/4 marks for method (which isn't too bad)
    I dont know man. CIE is pretty strict on marking. I would assume them to give 1 mark for the 3L thing, another for 2L, and one more for L. Last mark for correct answer. That's how they usually do.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, follow these links
    https://justpastpapers.com/9709_s16_qp_62/
    https://justpastpapers.com/9709_s16_ms_62/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.