The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How lenient is Warwick University with the entry requirement?

Hi!

I wanted to know whether Warwick University are lenient with grades.

I have an offer for History and Sociology (AAB) but feel that I might end up with A*BB - an A* in History and B grades in Psychology and Sociology. Do you think they will still accept me if I end up with these grades as A*BB has the same UCAS points as AAB?

Also, I've heard that some unis do if you narrowly miss the entry by a grade, but they look at your personal statement, other students' grades etc.

Has anyone else applied for History and Sociology as I feel like it's not a subject that will be competitive and oversubscribed at this institution compared to popular subjects such as maths. Has anyone else got into Warwick, but did not achieve their requirements?

Would be grateful to know!!
Reply 1
Hey,
I applied for English Literautre & Creative Writing at Warwick and received an offer of AAA. I don't feel like I'm going to meet the entry requirements either, so I've been looking for an answer to the same question.
I've heard that the courses are competitive, etc, etc. (all the negative stuff)
But I've also heard that they can be lenient. Southampton is another Russell Group uni that's not far from Warwick on the league tables and my friend was offered AAB, he achieved BBC and was still offered a place.
Honestly I think don't stress about meeting the requirements, just revise and do your best. You might even end up meeting your requirements! If not, I've heard they look at your personal statement and consider any other reasons (e.g., death in the family, medical reasons, etc.).
Good luck!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I would like to know as well, I'm applying for Maths. I hope they won't show zero leniency since I'm not doing STEP and applying through the 4 A level route.
Reply 3
Original post by celen
Hey,
I applied for English Literautre & Creative Writing at Warwick and received an offer of AAA. I don't feel like I'm going to meet the entry requirements either, so I've been looking for an answer to the same question.
But I've also heard that they can be lenient. Southampton is another Russell Group uni that's not far from Warwick on the league tables and my friend was offered AAB, he achieved BBC and was still offered a place.
Honestly I think don't stress about meeting the requirements, just revise and do your best. You might even end up meeting your requirements! If not, I've heard they look at your personal statement and consider any other reasons (e.g., death in the family, medical reasons, etc.).
Good luck!

Hmm... I'm kind of worried I might not meet their requirements, but since nobody knows whether they will still accept a few number of students if they miss their entry, I guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope!
I mean I do have a strong personal statement, as I'm a former Memeber of UK Youth Parliament, so have participated in things outside my academic subjects, but then again it depends, because if most of the applicant get their grades, then I guess the chances are a lot less.

I've seen succes stories on here, but have not seen any success stories of getting into Warwick.

May I also ask, you know you said something about your friend getting into Southampton, did he have any extenuating circumstances to his applications, or did they just let him in? If they just let him in, then that's amazing! ?
Honestly depends on how close you were to the grade. One of my sister's friends got an offer of AAA for Law at Warwick and she got A*AB and still got in. In all fairness she was literally a mark away from an A though.
Reply 5
I have the same question, I've been offered PAIS and French for AAB but there is no chance of me getting more than ABB and probably will end up with BBB, will they still take me?
Reply 6
Yeah i am worried about that too. I've got an offer for PAIS (AAA), i should (at least) get 2 As but i might get a B in Geography (hopefully by a few UMS marks if it happens). My sister is at Warwick and she got accepted for Law (AAA) with A*AB (she missed the B by 7 ums marks). Is PAIS an oversubscribed course? Is there a way I can find out?
Original post by 16characterlimit
I would like to know as well, I'm applying for Maths. I hope they won't show zero leniency since I'm not doing STEP and applying through the 4 A level route.

There's plenty of people with 4 A2s and 2 STEP papers who didn't make the cut
Original post by Onica
Hi!

I wanted to know whether Warwick University are lenient with grades.

I have an offer for History and Sociology (AAB) but feel that I might end up with A*BB - an A* in History and B grades in Psychology and Sociology. Do you think they will still accept me if I end up with these grades as A*BB has the same UCAS points as AAB?

Also, I've heard that some unis do if you narrowly miss the entry by a grade, but they look at your personal statement, other students' grades etc.

Has anyone else applied for History and Sociology as I feel like it's not a subject that will be competitive and oversubscribed at this institution compared to popular subjects such as maths. Has anyone else got into Warwick, but did not achieve their requirements?

Would be grateful to know!!

I talked to a guy from the Chemistry admissions department, he said that if you miss the offer by one grade then are referred to as a 'middling'. The better middlings will still be offered places.
Original post by 90780
Yeah i am worried about that too. I've got an offer for PAIS (AAA), i should (at least) get 2 As but i might get a B in Geography (hopefully by a few UMS marks if it happens). My sister is at Warwick and she got accepted for Law (AAA) with A*AB (she missed the B by 7 ums marks). Is PAIS an oversubscribed course? Is there a way I can find out?

Now you are at warwick?
Original post by kch1
I have the same question, I've been offered PAIS and French for AAB but there is no chance of me getting more than ABB and probably will end up with BBB, will they still take me?

Had you get in?
I’ve also applied for maths, and am not planning to do STEP, just the 4th A level. I think that’s not gonna matter that much.
Original post by celen
Hey,
Good luck!

Did you get in ?
Hi all,

Unfortunately, as you probably expect, there is not yes or no answer to this. I remember being in the same position as you all 4 years ago asking the same thing.

In general, this will depend on 2 things.

The first being if your offer contains grade specific expectations, eg. need an A* in maths. I know at least for maths, if you don't get A*s in maths and further, it's almost impossible to be given a place without any mitigating circumstances.

The second is how many people meet their offer this year, which is why this question becomes difficult to answer.

Whilst there is no guarantee for any subject or any grades except your offer, I did maths as my undergrad at Warwick and got A*A*AB, with the B being in English Literature and I was still given a place. Even then, this was likely due to it being in English and also my background of state school/ living in an area where very few people go to University may have also contributed to this, I will never know.

So it is possible in certain cases, however, I would also try to remind yourself to take comfort in the fact that the grade boundaries are there for a reason. Whilst I did get onto the maths course, I found it very hard and would probably have suited the Maths/Physics course more, which is what a lot of people who missed their grades were offered instead.

So in some ways, it may mean you end up on a course that's more suited to you.

Overall, try not to worry about it, I understand that's easier said than done, and any other questions about this process or about Warwick in general, feel free to ask!

Hope this helps.

Davina

Quick Reply

Latest