The Student Room Group

i need your help!!

Hi,

I am 19 year old I am studying btec medical science level 2. I would like to progress on to level 3. I am also studying gcse English (retake) and I am doing maths at entry 3 I have passed my maths and I have an English exam next week. I would like to know if I can go on to level 3 if I do not have gcse math and do level 1 maths alongside it. I have been struggling with maths and English throughout school, I have recently found out to be having dyslexia after my English teacher asked me why I take long on my controlled assesssments she asked me if I have dyslexia and I told her that I have never tested for it. I did a test on last Tuesday and we found out that I have dyslexia.

is it possible for me to be given a chance to do gcse maths next year? I did gcse maths in school and I got an F ( the school was no help they only focused n the 'clever' students. they never paid much attention to the other students and the teachers attitude to teaching was appaling. the school also had a bad hystory. they did not inform us about gcses and I did not know what they are until we started them. they did not give us the students that they never focused on any chance to do gcses except for the compulsory subjects like gcse English and gcse math.back then as I was a new comer I did not know much English so they only gave extra English lessons in year 7 to get me to speak the language.

sorry, back to my question: can I be given a chance to do gcse maths because of my dyslexia problems?

I appreciate your response.

thank you, :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Itsme15
Hi,

I am 19 year old I am studying btec medical science level 2. I would like to progress on to level 3. I am also studying gcse English (retake) and I am doing maths at entry 3 I have passed my maths and I have an English exam next week. I would like to know if I can go on to level 3 if I do not have gcse math and do level 1 maths alongside it. I have been struggling with maths and English throughout school, I have recently found out to be having dyslexia after my English teacher asked me why I take long on my controlled assesssments she asked me if I have dyslexia and I told her that I have never tested for it. I did a test on last Tuesday and we found out that I have dyslexia.

is it possible for me to be given a chance to do gcse maths next year? I did gcse maths in school and I got an F ( the school was no help they only focused n the 'clever' students. they never paid much attention to the other students and the teachers attitude to teaching was appaling. the school also had a bad hystory. they did not inform us about gcses and I did not know what they are until we started them. they did not give us the students that they never focused on any chance to do gcses except for the compulsory subjects like gcse English and gcse math.back then as I was a new comer I did not know much English so they only gave extra English lessons in year 7 to get me to speak the language.

sorry, back to my question: will I be given a chance to do gcse maths because of my dyslexia problems?

I appreciate your response.

thank you, :smile:

They shouldn't stop you from resitting your maths gcse because you have dyslexia, i see no reason why you couldnt give it a go :smile: (I'm dyslexic myself and of all exams found maths to be one of the easier ones as the questions are less wordsy so with the right support, i know you can do it:smile: )
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
They shouldn't stop you from resitting your maths gcse because you have dyslexia, i see no reason why you couldnt give it a go :smile: (I'm dyslexic myself and of all exams found maths to be one of the easier ones as the questions are less wordsy so with the right support, i know you can do it:smile: )

thank you so much, you gave me hope :smile: :'D I appreciate it. I have felt so dumb not being able to get high marks on my exams specially since I have done a lot of retakes I was put on functional skills maths and I have retook my btec science twice now. if only I found out earlier that I had dyslexia. I have another appointment to do another test, I think it is more in depth.

I srugle most in maths, in English too. since I speak three languages (Arabic,norwegian and English) the Norwegian has helped me with spelling because in the Norwegian language every letter of a word is pronounced so when I am writing in English I just prounounce every letter, it heples to certain degree with my spelling. :'D

what kind of help is offered for dyslexic people? I dont knw much about dyslexia.
Original post by Itsme15
thank you so much, you gave me hope :smile: :'D I appreciate it. I have felt so dumb not being able to get high marks on my exams specially since I have done a lot of retakes I was put on functional skills maths and I have retook my btec science twice now. if only I found out earlier that I had dyslexia. I have another appointment to do another test, I think it is more in depth.

I srugle most in maths, in English too. since I speak three languages (Arabic,norwegian and English) the Norwegian has helped me with spelling because in the Norwegian language every letter of a word is pronounced so when I am writing in English I just prounounce every letter, it heples to certain degree with my spelling. :'D

what kind of help is offered for dyslexic people? I dont knw much about dyslexia.

I actually got diagnosed pretty late too, I was 18 ( although I ve known I have dyspraxia too since I was 10). I can only say generally (as I didn't have much support till uni) but you should be able to get adjustments like extra time in assessments and in uni I got a study support tutor, things in bigger fonts.

There's things like colours overlays too, it doesn't work for me but it's worth seeing if it's helps you.
Yeah English spelling makes no sense does it:tongue: 3 languages is very impressive with dyslexia :smile:
I feel lucky it doesn't affect my maths. If you have an in depth report done, it should suggest a list of things that help at the end of it as well as a list of exactly how it affects you :smile:
Reply 4
that sounds cool.
I am looking forward to seeing what help they can offer me. thanx :smile: my Arabic is a struggle am not as fluent in it as my parents I think I had to erase some of it to make room for Norwegian XD then I had to erase some of Norwegian to make room for English xD. so my English is better compared to Norwegian. I think dyslexia is the same fre any language so English and Arabic are the same. sometimes it is a struggle understanding instructions that my mom tells me she she has to say it agin but slowly and step by step. I think I have a genetic dyslexia because my brother has it too. but he is clever that I am he is better at math than English and he is at uni doing aerospace engineering :biggrin: . now I understand how he must have felt when he found out that he has dyslexia.

I have just sendt an email to the college that I want to enroll on, I just hope they accept me. I pray to god they accept me.
Original post by Itsme15
that sounds cool.
I am looking forward to seeing what help they can offer me. thanx :smile: my Arabic is a struggle am not as fluent in it as my parents I think I had to erase some of it to make room for Norwegian XD then I had to erase some of Norwegian to make room for English xD. so my English is better compared to Norwegian. I think dyslexia is the same fre any language so English and Arabic are the same. sometimes it is a struggle understanding instructions that my mom tells me she she has to say it agin but slowly and step by step. I think I have a genetic dyslexia because my brother has it too. but he is clever that I am he is better at math than English and he is at uni doing aerospace engineering :biggrin: . now I understand how he must have felt when he found out that he has dyslexia.

I have just sendt an email to the college that I want to enroll on, I just hope they accept me. I pray to god they accept me.

Dyslexia does supposedly run in families, I'm the only one in my family though. Yeah, i m not the best with instructions my dyslexia makes my short term memory pretty crap but i just do my best to try and cope with it. Best of luck speaking to the college:smile:
Reply 6
:biggrin: its the same thing with me my short term memory isn't good either. if I am doing written work I have to be very focused or else I would forget what I have written and what I was planning to write xD. thanx :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest