Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I graduated 5 months ago with a 2:1. I've been applying endlessly to jobs since and have had a few interviews but have been told I need 'experience and a degree'. So I started temping in an area relevant to my degree and am hoping that will help, but I'm still concerned that I don't have anything permanent. How long did it take you after graduation to get a graduate job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hexagon1992)
    I graduated 5 months ago with a 2:1. I've been applying endlessly to jobs since and have had a few interviews but have been told I need 'experience and a degree'. So I started temping in an area relevant to my degree and am hoping that will help, but I'm still concerned that I don't have anything permanent. How long did it take you after graduation to get a graduate job?
    That just sounds like they can't be bothered to give you proper feedback. I mean you already have a degree clearly and as for experience- if you didn't have the experience they were looking for surely they wouldn't have invited you to interview.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hexagon1992)
    I know this thread is only 2 months old (oh please I deserve to got shot lol!) but just wanted to say it took me 4 months to find my first full time job.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I actually secured a graduate scheme role a few weeks before I graduated

ReputationRep:
    Negative 2 years and a bit, first couple of formal offers were because I had a certain combination of citizenship and field of study, third was because I'd worked at the company before and they wanted to offer me a promotion which included graduate level training, fourth due to academic background and language skills and it came with a condition. Then there were a couple of less formal offers.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not doing a degree in engineering, medicine or any other vocational qualification - then it is fairly reckless to do a open-degree and not be getting work experience alongside it: be it paid or voluntary.

I know that advice is not helpful in your current position, but the best chances are that you apply for a non-graduate position so you can gain work experience. Then, after a year or so, you'll have developed a good amount of work experience and you'll be much more desirable when applying for graduate positions.

ReputationRep:
    I had one lined up two months before I graduated*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.