This discussion is closed.
Outlawblues
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm interested in taking philosophy and ethics instead of physics at A-level, but what is the course like? What do you learn about?
katieMCR
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends on what topics within it that your school teaches. I'm guessing this is actually RS broken down. my RS last year for as level was; miracles and creation for philosophy, and situation ethics for ethics.
This year I'm doing religious experience in Philosophy. and Determinism, free will and libertarianism, as well as virtue ethics for ethics units
caracharlotte
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hell
Iamflorence
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
look, i am not intelligent at all, like i didnt get all A*, i got Bs and i must say philosophy and ethics is easy, if you revise from the beginning(subject you can easily get an A, make sure you have one)! Seriously, its very very interesting, i personally now see the world in a different perspective, what is the purpose of this world, this universe, is the universe just a "brute fact" like according to Russell in the radio debate with copleston in 1948! (see how smart i sound now lol). Go for it! last year i had to pick between P&E and psychology. SO happy i took PE.
stef.ffc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I strongly advise you not pick philosophy and ethics at a level it has ruined by life.
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From stories I've heard from my school, it seems to be horrendous and everyone hates it. That might just be because it is a new course or the teaching, but the amount of content (3 exams, no coursework) without specific guidance on what needs to be taught (there isn't a textbook out for it) has basically stressed everyone out.

It might be better for your year though if there are more resources out.

The course at my school (either AQA or OCR idk) you learn philosophical and ethical theories and practitioners (medical ethics, utilitarianism etc etc - I don't actually take the subject, this is just me remembering what friends have spoken about) and then there is a separate paper on Christianity.
pw330
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First year sitter here

The new spec is disgusting - there are no textbooks published - the exam don't give you enough choices, which essentially, this forces you to learn everything.

However, the subject itself is very interesting and challenging, and I have much fun learn it.

It's the fact that there are no textbooks published and poor teaching that made me regret picking this subject.

If you're looking for a challenge, go for it, but it's very challenging! - sitting my Ethics paper tomorrow

Good Luck
JamesJRY
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pw330)
First year sitter here

The new spec is disgusting - there are no textbooks published - the exam don't give you enough choices, which essentially, this forces you to learn everything.

However, the subject itself is very interesting and challenging, and I have much fun learn it.

It's the fact that there are no textbooks published and poor teaching that made me regret picking this subject.

If you're looking for a challenge, go for it, but it's very challenging! - sitting my Ethics paper tomorrow

Good Luck

I'm in the same situation as you, doing new spec Edexcel...

Do you feel prepared for Ethics tomorrow? I'm willing to share notes if you want. I've done Environmental, equality, situation ethics, utilitarianism, natural law, and just war theory...

Have you made notes for any of the extracts? I'm so screwed for those
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (38)
50.67%
No, they should still go ahead (16)
21.33%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (21)
28%

Watched Threads