Turn on thread page Beta

Why homosexuality is not a mental Ilness. watch

ReputationRep:
    it is absurd. homosexualilty is a modern term and a product of society as are peoples views towards.
    what we see as sexually normal or abnormal changes with society.
    wheather you agree with it or not sexuallity can not be called a mental illness when its between consenting adults.
    if you say homosexuals are mentally ill then why stop there what about those who like say bondage etc are they mentally ill also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nen)
    it is absurd. homosexualilty is a modern term and a product of society as are peoples views towards.
    what we see as sexually normal or abnormal changes with society.
    wheather you agree with it or not sexuallity can not be called a mental illness when its between consenting adults.
    if you say homosexuals are mentally ill then why stop there what about those who like say bondage etc are they mentally ill also
    Have you been reading Foucault?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    I dont think many have. For future reference it is often a good idea to state your point in a post.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by in a post? a bit new at this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    foulcault is he the author of english sexualities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    The idea is absurd, homsexuality a mental illness - however some people may believe this. But do they not realise the flawed logic? Homosexuality cannot be cured...you either are or not.
    hmm that last bit's debateable. I think it was found that sexual orientation was possibly linked to an area of the brain, which differed according to the orientation.

also, 'you either are or not' is flawed - what about bisexual people? what about people who are unsure, and never really know?

ReputationRep:
    why should they have to chose.

would heterosexual couples who engadge in anal sex then also have a mental illness

is the fact that your getting sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex what makes it a mental illness or the act itself. more specificly the act between men as people seem to have less of a problem with same sex relations between women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nen)
    foulcault is he the author of english sexualities?
    Well I don't know about that, I can't say I know much of his work, but he was a main proponent of the idea that "sex" and "sexuality" are invented notions rather than fundamentals. Anyway I was quite impressed when you brought it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghan)

also, 'you either are or not' is flawed - what about bisexual people? what about people who are unsure, and never really know?
    Yes meghan, i do agree, i didnt take in account bisexuals, i was just trying to say that your sexuality doesnt really change throughout yourlife, it stays the same - or perhaps someone knows otherwise (i dunno)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    Yes meghan, i do agree, i didnt take in account bisexuals, i was just trying to say that your sexuality doesnt really change throughout yourlife, it stays the same - or perhaps someone knows otherwise (i dunno)?
    I would guess both cases are possible. The thing is that whether homosexuality can be altered from external influence or not is irrelevant to whether it can be considered a mental ilness or not. My preference for strawberry Jam in front of marmelade can be changed by external influence, that doesnt make it a mental illness. The word "cure" is useful only when applied to a disease, and since Homosexuality is not to be considered a mental illness it is really quite meaningless to talk about "curing" it.

ReputationRep:
    you there have been treatments of psychotherapy - giving themelectrical currents during the 60s to cure this so called disease. lo and behold - it wasnt very sccessful, and most of the converts were those who frightened. I dunno about sexuality being due to a part of the brain - i think its the hypthalamus...seems to simple dont you think. Partly i do believe sexuality is sorta of an environmental thing...I havent worked quite where I am going with this! Bear with me :cool: . There diesnt seem to be a genetic predisposition to it - otherwise it would run in the family, and ultimately close down some blood lines. Maybe its nature way of controlling population size - or its just plainly natures way???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    you there have been treatments of psychotherapy - giving themelectrical currents during the 60s to cure this so called disease. lo and behold - it wasnt very sccessful, and most of the converts were those who frightened. I dunno about sexuality being due to a part of the brain - i think its the hypthalamus...seems to simple dont you think. Partly i do believe sexuality is sorta of an environmental thing...I havent worked quite where I am going with this! Bear with me :cool: . There diesnt seem to be a genetic predisposition to it - otherwise it would run in the family, and ultimately close down some blood lines. Maybe its nature way of controlling population size - or its just plainly natures way???
    Of course there is some genetic bias for heterosexuality, otherwise you would have a hard time explaining why 95% of the population is heterosexual. The important thing is that there is no single gene that makes a person homosexual. The most likely thing (IMO) is that homosexuality is a complicated phenomena which can be triggered by many different parameters. Some being genetic, others being environmental. Its like asking why I like strawberry jam. Partially it is because it contains sugar and thus evolutionary it is in my genes, partially it is because I had it as a kid. But there is no such thing as a gene coding for me liking strawberry jam. Mental states are complex things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Of course there is some genetic bias for heterosexuality, otherwise you would have a hard time explaining why 95% of the population is heterosexual. The important thing is that there is no single gene that makes a person homosexual. The most likely thing (IMO) is that homosexuality is a complicated phenomena which can be triggered by many different parameters. Some being genetic, others being environmental. Its like asking why I like strawberry jam. Partially it is because it contains sugar and thus evolutionary it is in my genes, partially it is because I had it as a kid. But there is no such thing as a gene coding for me liking strawberry jam. Mental states are complex things.
    Yes I agree, But simply pinning homosexuality to be the cause of the 'gay gene' ismere myth. There are several factors which are summatory to the outcome.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.