Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got A*/A*/A in my ISAs how much of a factor are they in bumping up my grades

ReputationRep:
    They count for 25% of your grade i believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenw123)
    I got A*/A*/A in my ISAs how much of a factor are they in bumping up my grades
    (AQA Chemistry, Biology and Physics, right?).
    They have the same weighting as each of your exam papers: 25%. A*/A*/A is pretty strong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    (AQA Chemistry, Biology and Physics, right?).
    They have the same weighting as each of your exam papers: 25%. A*/A*/A is pretty strong!
    Say for chemistry I get A/A/B in my exams and factor in my A in the ISA do you think I'd get an A overall. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Say for chemistry I get A/A/B in my exams and factor in my A in the ISA do you think I'd get an A overall. Thanks
    I'd imagine so, it all depends on the UMS boundaries; for an A* you need 360 UMS points, for an A you need 320.

Working on the absolute minimum mark for each grade:
    ISA - A = 80 UMS
    C1HP - A = 80 UMS
    C2HP - A = 80 UMS
    C3HP - B = 70 UMS
    UMS = 310 = B, but that's 10 UMS away from an A and that's based on you getting the absolute minimum marks possible for each grade (say you got 1 mark away from an A on the C3 paper, that would be 78 UMS).

I don't know if that makes sense really, but the most likely circumstance is that yes, you would get an A. Sorry, I'm quite tired so it blurbles a bit! I hope that helps anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    I'd imagine so, it all depends on the UMS boundaries; for an A* you need 360 UMS points, for an A you need 320.

Working on the absolute minimum mark for each grade:
    ISA - A = 80 UMS
    C1HP - A = 80 UMS
    C2HP - A = 80 UMS
    C3HP - B = 70 UMS
    UMS = 310 = B, but that's 10 UMS away from an A and that's based on you getting the absolute minimum marks possible for each grade (say you got 1 mark away from an A on the C3 paper, that would be 78 UMS).

I don't know if that makes sense really, but the most likely circumstance is that yes, you would get an A. Sorry, I'm quite tired so it blurbles a bit! I hope that helps anyway
    Yeah, it does thanks so how many marks in the test paper do you think 90 UMS would be

ReputationRep:
    does the overall grade go off UMS?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it does thanks so how many marks in the test paper do you think 90 UMS would be
    90 is an A*, so it's usually between 47 and 50 marks for the unit 1 and unit 2 papers, and between 40 and 50 marks for the unit 3 papers :)

You can see all the grade boundaries on the AQA website:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2015.PDF (last year's boundaries)

...and can convert your marks on past papers to UMS using the UMS calculator (although it's a bit over complicated):
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

...and then cross-reference your total UMS score for each subject with the UMS boundaries:
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pd...BOUNDARIES.PDF

To figure out what you would have gotten :)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazz_xox_)
    does the overall grade go off UMS?
    Yes your individual marks are given a UMS equivalent, and the UMS marks for each paper are added up to a total and then this is compared to the UMS boundaries to decide your grade

So if you got an A* on every paper, you'll get an A* overall, but if you got three A*s and an A, you could either get an A* or an A depending on your total UMS marks, as crazy as it seems!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.