Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why is there no UCL subforum in the Universities section. It is not acceptable that almost all other Russell Group Unis are represented but not UCL. :mad:
    Perhaps a "University of London" section could be made to include UCL,LSE etc - its unfair that i cannot talk to fellow prospective UCLers while others can :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    why is there no UCL subforum in the Universities section. It is not acceptable that almost all other Russell Group Unis are represented but not UCL. :mad:
    Perhaps a "University of London" section could be made to include UCL,LSE etc - its unfair that i cannot talk to fellow prospective UCLers while others can :eek:
    It is indeed a strange state of affairs.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it is strange we don't have a UCL sub-forum. However, I have noticed over the last few months that for some reason any thread that gets started about UCL seems to fizzle out very quickly, so perhaps it's up to us prospective UCL people to try to keep this going and get some visibility at last.

Perhaps we could start by posting our details, as people have done in the "Who's going to .... " threads for other universities, and then perhaps some kind mod will move us to our own subforum

Here are mine:

Course: Anthropology
    Originally from: Italy

I'll definitely be going because we already have our results here so I know I've met my offer. So good not to have to sweat it out until Aug 19!

ReputationRep:
    Course: Economics and Geography
    All depends on whether ive managed to get an A in maths, since ive already completed Geography and Economics a levels early (grade A in both)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackrainbow)
    I agree it is strange we don't have a UCL sub-forum. However, I have noticed over the last few months that for some reason any thread that gets started about UCL seems to fizzle out very quickly, so perhaps it's up to us prospective UCL people to try to keep this going and get some visibility at last.

Yet another UCL thread about to hit the dust . There must be someone out there going to UCL .... isn't there ...?

When UCL does something of note it can have a subforum (not that Warwick, York etc have done anything themselves).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just an LSE guy)
    When UCL does something of note it can have a subforum (not that Warwick, York etc have done anything themselves).
    Oh Gnostic, go back to worshipping that LSE shrine of yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    That sounds like a reasonable idea. It's so frustrating that we've been left out, as there are a lot of members who are going or are interested in UOL colleges, additionally UCL/RHUL/KCL could continue any intercollegiate related discussion. I've noticed several threads regarding accomodation and London life/living costs and enquiries about the colleges themselves.

(Original post by BossLady)
    Oh Gnostic, go back to worshipping that LSE shrine of yours.
    I have been commanded by the LSE god to show the light to the heathen.

ReputationRep:
    Statisticaly speaking a TVU subforum would be more important than a UCL subforum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Statisticaly speaking a TVU subforum would be more important than a UCL subforum.
    ????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    ????
    In temrs of GDP and number of students universites like TVU are more important than some of them listed on that subforum. In fact the university subforums are driven by snobery imo.

In temrs of GDP and number of students universites like TVU are more important than some of them listed on that subforum. In fact the university subforums are driven by snobery imo.
    ????

ReputationRep:
    ????
    More people go to TVU than UCL, they will be more employed graduates etc. I just find the way the subforums have for the university have been layed out quite amusing to be honest. I mean why isn't there one for the open university?

More people go to TVU than UCL, they will be more employed graduates etc. I just find the way the subforums have for the university have been layed out quite amusing to be honest. I mean why isn't there one for the open university?
    That is illogical. Just because TVU has more students than UCL doesn't mean that their graduates will contribute more to the economy. In reality UCL students have a far higher proportion of graduates who enter graduate-level employment than TVU.

In addition, UCL is a research-led institution. It makes a lot of money.

TVU is only a teaching university (its research status is almost non-existent). It only drains money.

But personally I'd close both UCL and TVU down.

ReputationRep:
    That is illogical. Just because TVU has more students than UCL doesn't mean that their graduates will contribute more to the economy. In reality UCL students have a far higher proportion of graduates who enter graduate-level employment than TVU.

In addition, UCL is a research-led institution. It makes a lot of money.

TVU is only a teaching university (its research status is almost non-existent). It only drains money.

TVU is supposed to be largest provider of graduates in the Thames Valley and North London area though (this is on their website so it may not be acurate) I agree that their research is quite pathetic (I think their research budget was £400,000 last year, my university gets more than just for robotics research) .
    You can't close any university down though but thats an issue for another thread.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the only statistics that matter are that of the actual forum itself? I mean, UoL subforum should be made judging by all the requests. Also I think a lot of people automatically exclude London Unis out of their UCAS choices because of cost and so on. I think some of the areas that would be discussed in said subforum would help overcome the myths.

ReputationRep:
    If the following is true esp in the case of mature students

TVU is supposed to be largest provider of graduates in the Thames Valley and North London area...
    why this response

Originally Posted by Just an LSE guy

ReputationRep:
    TVU graduates - too immersed in miseducation and petty crime to come on this forum.

OU graduates - too busy with their corporate interests or wine & cheese evenings to come on this forum.

UCL graduates - should be granted a subforum on UKL.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of GDP? :rolleyes:
    You're making this up....figures please if you're not.
    I suspect UCL graduates contribute alot more to the UK's annual GDP growth rate compared to TVU grads.
    BTW the university subforums arent driven by snobbery (what are you on about, i think you're just saying this because your darling salford isnt there)...it's driven by popularity.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.