Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going to study philosophy and economics in UCL, this september. good point, where is the UCL sub forum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Hi all, what do you guys think the prospect of me getting any accomodation either in Ramsay Hall (or inter-coll), even thought i didn't originally apply for it in May...
    I remember reading on the UCL forum that there is some possibility of changing accommodation once you get to UCL but I can't remember which thread it was in. Have you tried contacting the accommodation office and asking if you can change? You might stand a better chance if you do it in advance. They seemed quite helpful when I phoned in April to ask what the chances of getting into inter-coll were (good apparently). Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackrainbow)
    I remember reading on the UCL forum that there is some possibility of changing accommodation once you get to UCL but I can't remember which thread it was in. Have you tried contacting the accommodation office and asking if you can change? You might stand a better chance if you do it in advance. They seemed quite helpful when I phoned in April to ask what the chances of getting into inter-coll were (good apparently). Good luck anyway
    Yep, i've emailed them.. hopefully there will be something..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)
    Interesting. And the figures that prove this assertion are where exactly?
    thames valley "uni" is frankly a shambles. don't even try and defend it. it's generally recognised as the worst uni in the country.

well i guess u have to filter the riff-raff somewhere. don't want them coming to ucl. tvu is where people get shot because you get general idiots going there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    lol lol lol
    those nerds from Gimperial definatley need a beating

[joking - no offence edders/kuz etc]
    Grrrr! :mad: Hey none taken Imperials my insurance anyway, I'm hoping to go to Warwick. You other UoL of students are only jealous of IC because they're smarter, and far better looking....now that’s not controversial

(Original post by Just an LSE guy)
    And imagine Imperial students on there...."Hi, I'm an Imperial student, let's talk about chess baby, let's talk about chess baby, let's talk about all the nerd things, and the geeky things, chess baby, let's talk aboooout chess"
    Have you got an unconditional for LSE, because if you haven't your just a tad self assured that your going to get there?

(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    To the outsider looking in - the rivalry between KCL and UCL is almost as hard to comprehend as the image of Enoch Powell rolling a spliff in the SOAS Union. Which no doubt he did for the duration of his studies. :rolleyes:
    Nice Analogy

ReputationRep:
    Well, mods, if we can't have a UCL subforum, can we at least be told why not? For lack of any logical reason and considering that LSE has a subforum whereas UCL doesn't, I'm beginning to think it might be Gnostic who decides

(Original post by unclecraig)
    Because he is an elitist and a pseudointellectual snot.
    Also he smells bad and his mother dresses him funny.
    I'm an elistist, but not the rest of what you wrote.

BTW, in reply to your previous comment about me talking nonsense on the thread now closed, I am delighted to reply as follows:

Not really – we know, for example, that certain genes can be switched off by behaviour.

Evolution has led humanity to possessing an immense mind. The problem is that it’s still dominated by the primitive drives – lust, fear etc etc. Almost all humans live completely unconsciously, absorbed and driven by animal genetics. Few realise that they’re just zombies. Some try to repress the drives but with no success (i.e. the Christians etc). We very much have the capacity of a god and yet are bound by animal desires. Hormones etc alter the mind; but an awake mind can alter the neurons of the brain, and the body.

Know thyself; create thyself.

ReputationRep:
    Genetic information does not really spearate us from other species, for example we share somthing close to 98% of our genome with chimps and we aslo share many common ancestral genes with countless other organisms such as drosophila and even yeast.

It has been argued that it is social interaction that has caused an explosion in our evolutionary progress, but only in ones self interest - i.e. in order that your genes may replicate.
    Your genes are not "interested" in your noble attempts to trancend humanity - they only wish to propogate and proliforate. The human mind is just another tool at their disposal to allow this to happen.

The human mind is not devine, it is merely an expensive and highly complicated "swiss army knife" that has allowed us to survive and adapt to changing circumstances in order to better proliforate our genes.

To what extent has it become more?
    If you are talking about consciousness then one must be aware of oneself in order to survive and protect ones life and therefore genes (and those of your kin, as they partly share your genes).

Care to expand?
    Yes, consciousness began simply and only for the benefit of protecting the vessel, the carrier, of genetic material. As animals became more complex so did the brain and thus the mind. But with humanity the neurons in the brain are now so complicated that a vortex within the field of consciousness has developed - “I am”, consciousness conscious of itself, capable of influencing the mind, possessing a will, and capable of creativity. The body generates the mind; but in the human the mind has become self-conscious. Of course with most humans the mind is still flooded by the effects of hormones etc. The unconscious genetic nature is still King. The ego for all but a few is a sleeping giant. But our Buddhist friends have mastered clarity of the mind. The reason why Buddhism hasn’t advanced from peace to power, however, is because they seek to extinguish the ego, the “I am”, for they believe that the ego is the cause of confusion in the mind (when its really due to basic animal drives influencing and hijacking the incredible imagination of the human mind). But an ego in control of the mind, and thus body, is capable of great things. So far no such human has existed, though mythology provides, and anticipates, plenty of such individuals. Indeed all the mythology of the hero battling demons is really about the ego battling these genes that are now trying to prevent humanity from waking up to its power and potential.

As Richard Dawkins wrote in his Self Gene, “We have the power to defy the selfish genes of our birth and, if necessary, the selfish memes of our indoctrination. We can even discuss ways of deliberately cultivating and nurturing pure, disinterested altruism -- something that has no place in nature, something that has never existed before in the whole history of the world. We are built as gene machines and cultured as meme machines, but we have the power to turn against our own creators. We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators.” (chapter 11)

One day a man will come who will be awake, who will be able to author himself, whose conscious will and unconscious nature will be at one. He will be invincible.

ReputationRep:
    Intellectuals are trying to portray humanity as something that it is not.
    A domesticated cat must still hunt and is still essentially a wild animal and so too are humans. A few thousand years of civilisation can not compete with the hundreds of thousands of years that we roamed the savanah as foragers and hunters.
    The human brain has remained unchanged for many thousands of years and therefore its capacity to be "more" is no different now than it was 40,000 years ago. It is culture, social interaction and the exchange of ideas in times when the world was poorly understood that gives rise to mysical and devine inclinations that the human mind finds so difficult to reconcile.

ReputationRep:
    The brain allows humans to adapt to changing environments, circumstances and problems that they may encounter..........
    The human brain has remained unchanged for many thousands of years and therefore its capacity to be "more" is no different now than it was 40,000 years ago.
    I suppose these two comments can co-exist, but then only a brain dyspraxic toad would make them. I think you do have the same brain as one King Athlestan's skivvies.

Good day.

ReputationRep:
    Forget catered halls... anyone going to experience the REAL uni life and stay in self catered accom. at UCL?...

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I am. Hopefully studying French and Arabic at UCL in September. Not that I want to break up this stimulating intellectual exchange by getting back to the original topic here...

ReputationRep:
    this biggles is a complete and utter wreck.

after so long cussing every other london uni for dumb reasons at every possible opportunity, some people bring up the facts and put things in perspective for him and bring some reality into the discussion concerning lse.

he then realises that his point is undefendable and gives up, resorting to calling prospective ucl students yobs. as he realises that hes been undermined and made to look the cretin he surely is, he then goes about trying to make himself look good again by acting out like he is on a higher path then everone else and like hes gonna turn into a god.

also how exactly are ucl students yobs? is it their sporting prowess thats scary or that they might talk to each other in a pub sometimes, or that they air their views publicly sometimes? explain.

just stop putting down the other london unis for dispicable reasons and trying to big lse up cos if u continue for no reason then its obvious that it is only as u have an inferiority complex towards them and feel the need to justify your lse place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prologue)
    this biggles is a complete and utter wreck.

after so long cussing every other london uni for dumb reasons at every possible opportunity, some people bring up the facts and put things in perspective for him and bring some reality into the discussion concerning lse.

he then realises that his point is undefendable and gives up, resorting to calling prospective ucl students yobs. as he realises that hes been undermined and made to look the cretin he surely is, he then goes about trying to make himself look good again by acting out like he is on a higher path then everone else and like hes gonna turn into a god.

also how exactly are ucl students yobs? is it their sporting prowess thats scary or that they might talk to each other in a pub sometimes, or that they air their views publicly sometimes? explain.

just stop putting down the other london unis for dispicable reasons and trying to big lse up cos if u continue for no reason then its obvious that it is only as u have an inferiority complex towards them and feel the need to justify your lse place.
    Let's not reignite this! There are obviously a lot of people on UKL who feel very strongly about UCL; perhaps they were rejected (too gormless and were therefore snubbed, most likely), have an intellectual inferiority complex, or just plain hate the place, who cares! The fact of the matter is UCL is an academic powerhouse without the pretense and snobbery that some of the other London colleges carry themselves with (i can't speak for the LSE, but ICL was the most horribly snobbish and gormless place i'd ever been to!). As for yobbish UCL students, well, they are rather well known for their cocktail nights... but they just know how to party, unlike some of the less trendy ICL and LSE students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mongoose)
    Let's not reignite this! There are obviously a lot of people on UKL who feel very strongly about UCL; perhaps they were rejected (too gormless and were therefore snubbed, most likely), have an intellectual inferiority complex, or just plain hate the place, who cares! The fact of the matter is UCL is an academic powerhouse without the pretense and snobbery that some of the other London colleges carry themselves with (i can't speak for the LSE, but ICL was the most horribly snobbish and gormless place i'd ever been to!). As for yobbish UCL students, well, they are rather well known for their cocktail nights... but they just know how to party, unlike some of the less trendy ICL and LSE students.
    It's obvious UCL should have a forum. It's a major university, far more distinguished than some others which do have a special space of their own on the forum. It's just such a pity that UCL is so bad at promoting itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    It's just such a pity that UCL is so bad at promoting itself.
    That is all about to change according to the recent white paper produced by UCL's provost.

ReputationRep:
    That is all about to change according to the recent white paper produced by UCL's provost.
    These things don't just change overnight on the say-so of some provost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    These things don't just change overnight on the say-so of some provost.
    Where was this implied in my statement?
    This is obviously not something that is going to change overnight, but the way in which UCL is currently marketed/perceived abroad has been highlighted and efforts are being made to better sell the "UCL brand" in the global higher education marketplace.

ReputationRep:
    Where was this implied in my statement?
    This is obviously not something that is going to change overnight, but the way in which UCL is currently marketed/perceived abroad has been highlighted and efforts are being made to better sell the "UCL brand" in the global higher education marketplace.
    It wasn't - I'm just feeling cantankerous.

It's just shocking how relatively unknown UCL is amongst the general public (even in this country). A lot of my friends think it's an abstract art college in London.I'm all too aware of the merits of a UCL education - but it needs some promotion, like the Sahel needs food!

What was your experience of Kings, was it quite a relaxed place?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.