• View Poll Results: Get a roommate?
    Yes
    28.57%
    No
    14.29%
    Don't Move Out
    57.14%

ReputationRep:
    I just turned 16 in April and I've been looking for a job for a while. I think I've found the right one, it pays the 18 minimum wage. Other than the job, my source of income is PIP (Personal Independence Payment). I don't want any comments saying "if you can work, why are you claiming PIP?" because it's a stupid question. I claim it because I have many responsibilities that involve money, I can't walk very far without passing out so I do need a car.

In the title it says I need to move out, not want to and that't because my house is crowed, my mum is pregnant with her 5th kid. I live in a very small 3 bedroom house, 1 bedroom for my parents and current baby brother, 1 for my older brother, and 1 for me and my younger brother. My older brother struggles with communicating which makes interviews difficult. I've told my parents that I'd like to move out to give them the space and they can always call when they need a babysitter. They've given me full permission to move out.

My only worry is the cost. I'm looking at flats in Weston-super-Mare because that's where I'm going to college and was wondering whether anyone thinks I could live on my own or whether I should find a roommate, like one of my friends. Obviously there's the rent cost, then the cost of living (food etc.), electric, gas and that crap.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SamFromTumblr)
    I just turned 16 in April and I've been looking for a job for a while. I think I've found the right one, it pays the 18 minimum wage. Other than the job, my source of income is PIP (Personal Independence Payment). I don't want any comments saying "if you can work, why are you claiming PIP?" because it's a stupid question. I claim it because I have many responsibilities that involve money, I can't walk very far without passing out so I do need a car.

In the title it says I need to move out, not want to and that't because my house is crowed, my mum is pregnant with her 5th kid. I live in a very small 3 bedroom house, 1 bedroom for my parents and current baby brother, 1 for my older brother, and 1 for me and my younger brother. My older brother struggles with communicating which makes interviews difficult. I've told my parents that I'd like to move out to give them the space and they can always call when they need a babysitter. They've given me full permission to move out.

My only worry is the cost. I'm looking at flats in Weston-super-Mare because that's where I'm going to college and was wondering whether anyone thinks I could live on my own or whether I should find a roommate, like one of my friends. Obviously there's the rent cost, then the cost of living (food etc.), electric, gas and that crap.
    I think your first step is to figure out what you can afford, it's likely you d need to share really.

ReputationRep:
    Be aware that the dwp might be like "if you can work you don't need PIP" if what your job entails contradicts (in their opinion!) how your disability affects you on a day to day basis.

Trying to move out at 16 might be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire. It's hard to do it on the adult minimum wage so goodness knows how someone would manage on the age based lower rate.

If possible, I would try to live at home whilst at college and then use uni as an opportunity to move out because the student loans potentially make that possible, more so than now perhaps anyway.

Good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    How are you going to afford to move out at 16? Ok, because you're under 18, you're exempt from council tax. But it's not cheap. And then there's the start up cost of moving out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but if you're going to college as well that means you'll only be working part time, with the PIP going towards car expenses there is no way you can afford to move out. Even if in a shared place.

ReputationRep:
    Join the army, be an apprentice or be a junior fisherman. If you want to go to college I'm afraid I can't help you there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.