Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Politics is a complete mess in the UK. The Conservative party has ripped itself apart, Hitler comments are in vogue and the corbyn led labour is failing to capitalize on anything. Labour are seen as no longer representing the working class, people vote Conservative because frankly at least they know what they're voting for, and frankly it's all gone to pot. It's not even like we have a viable third party - as much as i applaud the success of the SNP, it's not like we're going to have SNP led government.

So, my basic thought is this. By entering the cabinet, as someone who listens but is not populist, who doesn't lie through his teeth, I could make real change.

Obviously this is a big goal. Many politicians go through their career changing very little, and getting elected is another thing entirely. But we always complain about politics. So why not get involved? Become the change?

ReputationRep:
    A clear ideology and a clear head would go far in the House of Commons, I feel. I'm not the best person in the world, but I feel i could do a damn sight better than IDS or Gove

ReputationRep:
    i am currently studying politics and i hope to pursue a degree in PPE or a politics related course, eventually i will attempt to get elected as an MP, however one thing that british politics is renowned for is the lack of diversity in relation to independent candidates, to my knowledge there is only two independent candidates and even those arent actually completely independent (green party), so choosing the party which best suits your beliefs and your constituents is essential! ideally you will have an indication of what party you wish to represent (although you mention you would prefer to be unaligned to any particular party) and from there you can set out a clear manifesto and deliver, are you there to represent your beliefs, your constituents or the countries?
    sorry i blap alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connormc199)
    i am currently studying politics and i hope to pursue a degree in PPE or a politics related course, eventually i will attempt to get elected as an MP, however one thing that british politics is renowned for is the lack of diversity in relation to independent candidates, to my knowledge there is only two independent candidates and even those arent actually completely independent (green party), so choosing the party which best suits your beliefs and your constituents is essential! ideally you will have an indication of what party you wish to represent (although you mention you would prefer to be unaligned to any particular party) and from there you can set out a clear manifesto and deliver, are you there to represent your beliefs, your constituents or the countries?
    sorry i blap alot!
    Thank you for your response, i was scared I wasn't going to get a single one! My current, i suppose ideology is labour. I am of the opinion that the blairite government was a massive missed opportunity, Ed mililband was hopeless and corbyn's just not right for the party. But what frustrates me is people don't back their party. If I was a politician, it's crucial to unite as a party to portray unity, electability and to expose the flaws of others. Labour should be doing that now, but it's a huge missed opportunity, and it's frustrated me to the point where i want to become a politician.

What about you? Obviously saying a party at the minute is difficult because they're all a mess, but broadly speaking

ReputationRep:
    Politics is for people who are too stupid to do anything meaningful. Those that have ambition, ideals and intellect lose all that over time or get beaten away because they threaten the others. Look at Merkel, the CDU currently has absolutely no one to succeed her, because she has bitten away so to speak anyone who could threaten her. And she has surrounded herself with buffoons that follow her blindly (look at Altmeier, he was a minister, sucked so bad at that, but because he such a good lapdog he became her speaker).

/rant. Sorry, but it's largely true.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? 75k+ a year.... house paid for you... claiming money back for pencils and rubbers.

Go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    There's so much criticism in the public eye, instability unless it's a safe labour seat, the constant analysis of every word spoken. I can see why not many go into politics, because it's not a nice career. You tend to get those who really want to make a difference and probably won't get elected, and power hungry people. It's just not a nice career path

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Politics is for people who are too stupid to do anything meaningful. Those that have ambition, ideals and intellect lose all that over time or get beaten away because they threaten the others. Look at Merkel, the CDU currently has absolutely no one to succeed her, because she has bitten away so to speak anyone who could threaten her. And she has surrounded herself with buffoons that follow her blindly (look at Altmeier, he was a minister, sucked so bad at that, but because he such a good lapdog he became her speaker).

/rant. Sorry, but it's largely true.
    Although i do not dispute your statement with regards to merkel, however your initial comment is quite false, some of the most capable and intelligent scholars become politicians - David Cameron, Blair etc. and honourary members also - Churchill is a prime example!
    Politics is a very appealing job and offers people both academics and ordinary candidates to represent their beliefs and ideologies, their constituents, their party and their country and if done correctly they could have a real impact on how we operate our lives and how society acts!

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people want change but are vague about it, they lack public speaking skills, a clear ideology and public support, they whine about how nothing gets done and how unfair the system after getting beaten by a candidate who does have the above skills

What change do you want? Lots of people will oppose you, course they will, some young radical comes talking about change if i'm a comfy civil servant i'm going to tell you to get lost.

Some of us do not want things like Scottish independence.

ReputationRep:
    Although i do not dispute your statement with regards to merkel, however your initial comment is quite false, some of the most capable and intelligent scholars become politicians - David Cameron, Blair etc. and honourary members also - Churchill is a prime example!
    Politics is a very appealing job and offers people both academics and ordinary candidates to represent their beliefs and ideologies, their constituents, their party and their country and if done correctly they could have a real impact on how we operate our lives and how society acts!
    I actually spat out some spit reading that.

So I am gonna go Joker here, not sure if serious?

The last part - yes sure. But then they realize its much harder to achieve things, they get introduced to big money lobby, they get power hungry. Take Merkel again, I do not doubt she is "smart" - she was a talent in maths in the GDR and is a physicist, however, by now, she has completely lost it. She essentially agreed to pay off Erdogan, just so he would stop the flow of migrants, which is what her party wanted. Luckily for once the German people are onto her and her approval ratings have since plummeted. Or take your Blair, **** me, a Labor guy so eager to invade Iraq? Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    I actually spat out some spit reading that.

So I am gonna go Joker here, not sure if serious?

The last part - yes sure. But then they realize its much harder to achieve things, they get introduced to big money lobby, they get power hungry. Take Merkel again, I do not doubt she is "smart" - she was a talent in maths in the GDR and is a physicist, however, by now, she has completely lost it. She essentially agreed to pay off Erdogan, just so he would stop the flow of migrants, which is what her party wanted. Luckily for once the German people are onto her and her approval ratings have since plummeted. Or take your Blair, **** me, a Labor guy so eager to invade Iraq? Seriously?
    lol, im more inclined to vote tory so to call him 'my Blair' is ironic, im not disputing that Blair was arrogant due to his personality (he preferred the celebrity lifestyle) and because he craved popularity but he was highly intelligent and articulate!

ReputationRep:
    lol, im more inclined to vote tory so to call him 'my Blair' is ironic, im not disputing that Blair was arrogant due to his personality (he preferred the celebrity lifestyle) and because he craved popularity but he was highly intelligent and articulate!
    Your implying your British (since I was using Merkel so much as an example). Not you in particular...

Oh my, he was articulate. What a great guy. I think you know who was articulate, too.

ReputationRep:
    'was'? implying their dead?.. John Jack Kennedy? (JFK)

ReputationRep:
    or are you indicating/hinting at dictators?

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. That's why people get into politics in the first place. They want to change things. Shake up government.

But don't get carried away...for your own sake.

Also...have a clear goal. Is the reason for going into politics to represent your county or place of residence, or are your ambitions you want to eventually go for PM or chancellor?

Where specifically do you want to exert your influence? And how are you going to change things?

(Original post by NoFunAtParties)
    Politics is a complete mess in the UK. The Conservative party has ripped itself apart, Hitler comments are in vogue and the corbyn led labour is failing to capitalize on anything. Labour are seen as no longer representing the working class, people vote Conservative because frankly at least they know what they're voting for, and frankly it's all gone to pot. It's not even like we have a viable third party - as much as i applaud the success of the SNP, it's not like we're going to have SNP led government.

So, my basic thought is this. By entering the cabinet, as someone who listens but is not populist, who doesn't lie through his teeth, I could make real change.

Obviously this is a big goal. Many politicians go through their career changing very little, and getting elected is another thing entirely. But we always complain about politics. So why not get involved? Become the change?
    Because on the vote form for the general election it gives you a bunch of parties to vote for. This option is missing:

"Other: Please name"

If I cant even figure out how to vote for someone not in the major parties, how the hell can average joe hope to get voted in. The system is a complete shambles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.