The Student Room Group

Should I Have A Perm?

Hi all! I'm thinking about having a perm, as I'm really curious to see what I'd look like with curls, but I'm quite nervous as I don't know how a perm would react with my hair and I've heard a few horror stories about them. I have short, thick, coarse hair which is also dyed mid brown with some highlights and have no idea what would happen if it was permed - have visions of the hair expanding upwards and outwards. Would greatly appreciate any advice from those of you who've had perms, success and horror stories alike :smile:
I don't have any experience :rolleyes: ,but i think you may aswell go for it, otherwise u will never know wat its gunna be like. You can only learn from your mistakes. :smile:
Reply 2
Maybe you could insure your hair against bad haircuts, and then sue if things go wrong? I swear I've been watching too much Ally McBeal recently...
lol please have a perm - i say bring back the massive ones of the 1980s
Reply 4
Perms are evil. Unless you want to go retro-eighties, or look like a grandma, I'd skip the perm.
Reply 5
I have a perm! It's fantastic!

Make sure you,

a) Get your hair temporarily curled to see how it looks first.
b) Find a good hairdresser.
c) Get a 24hr skin test from your hair dresser.
d) Decide exactly how you want it to look

At the start it may look a bit over-done but gradually you'll get soft wavy hair that looks really nice.

And make sure your hair is cut to shoulderlength before - if it's too long it will weigh down and become a mess.
Reply 6
because your hair is thick, short and coarse i don't think it'd look great- fine hair will suit curls much more. try tonging it to see what it looks like curly?
Reply 7
Minta
Hi all! I'm thinking about having a perm, as I'm really curious to see what I'd look like with curls, but I'm quite nervous as I don't know how a perm would react with my hair and I've heard a few horror stories about them. I have short, thick, coarse hair which is also dyed mid brown with some highlights and have no idea what would happen if it was permed - have visions of the hair expanding upwards and outwards. Would greatly appreciate any advice from those of you who've had perms, success and horror stories alike :smile:

My honest opinion is that no right minded person has had a perm this side of the 1980s so don't do it.
Reply 8
eleenia
My honest opinion is that no right minded person has had a perm this side of the 1980s so don't do it.
:eek: Am I not right minded?

I really don't look like i've blown in from the 80s, I assure you!
Reply 9
Adhsur
:eek: Am I not right minded?

I really don't look like i've blown in from the 80s, I assure you!

I'm sorry hun, I posted that without reading any of the replies, I didn't mean to offend you x
Reply 10
NO!!!! But thats just my opinion.
Post a pic of yourself and someone might super (why super??) impose a perm on your head! Otherwise, I say no. It could all go horribly wrong and no one has a perm nowadays. But then you'd be individual. But then people will stare at you more, especially if it's horrible. Etcetera...
Knight-Errant
Post a pic of yourself and someone might super (why super??) impose a perm on your head! Otherwise, I say no. It could all go horribly wrong and no one has a perm nowadays. But then you'd be individual. But then people will stare at you more, especially if it's horrible. Etcetera...

Super as in above/on top of. Comes from the same root asw superior. I say no to the perm but I have't seen pics of you soo can't really judge. I reckon if you want to do something different you should cut it short.

MB
Reply 13
oh god...this brings back painful memories of when i had permed hair...
make sure u go to a good hairdresser to get it done..there's nothing worse than a bad perm...
oh well...at least it'll grow back if it doesn't turn out well... :smile:
Yeh I had the worst perm ever when I was 11... oh goodness... it was unmanageable! :smile:

Be sure you specify what kind of curls you want, and keep bugging the hairdresser to make sure she understands you.
Reply 15
lilsunflower
Yeh I had the worst perm ever when I was 11... oh goodness... it was unmanageable! :smile:

did your mum make u do it too? :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending