This discussion is closed.
Minta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi all! I'm thinking about having a perm, as I'm really curious to see what I'd look like with curls, but I'm quite nervous as I don't know how a perm would react with my hair and I've heard a few horror stories about them. I have short, thick, coarse hair which is also dyed mid brown with some highlights and have no idea what would happen if it was permed - have visions of the hair expanding upwards and outwards. Would greatly appreciate any advice from those of you who've had perms, success and horror stories alike
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't have any experience :rolleyes: ,but i think you may aswell go for it, otherwise u will never know wat its gunna be like. You can only learn from your mistakes.
Apocagem
Report 15 years ago
Maybe you could insure your hair against bad haircuts, and then sue if things go wrong? I swear I've been watching too much Ally McBeal recently...
John Paul Jones
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol please have a perm - i say bring back the massive ones of the 1980s
Chiaussieuk
Report 15 years ago
Perms are evil. Unless you want to go retro-eighties, or look like a grandma, I'd skip the perm.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have a perm! It's fantastic!

Make sure you,

a) Get your hair temporarily curled to see how it looks first.
b) Find a good hairdresser.
c) Get a 24hr skin test from your hair dresser.
d) Decide exactly how you want it to look

At the start it may look a bit over-done but gradually you'll get soft wavy hair that looks really nice.

And make sure your hair is cut to shoulderlength before - if it's too long it will weigh down and become a mess.
priya
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
because your hair is thick, short and coarse i don't think it'd look great- fine hair will suit curls much more. try tonging it to see what it looks like curly?
eleenia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Hi all! I'm thinking about having a perm, as I'm really curious to see what I'd look like with curls, but I'm quite nervous as I don't know how a perm would react with my hair and I've heard a few horror stories about them. I have short, thick, coarse hair which is also dyed mid brown with some highlights and have no idea what would happen if it was permed - have visions of the hair expanding upwards and outwards. Would greatly appreciate any advice from those of you who've had perms, success and horror stories alike
My honest opinion is that no right minded person has had a perm this side of the 1980s so don't do it.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eleenia)
My honest opinion is that no right minded person has had a perm this side of the 1980s so don't do it.
:eek: Am I not right minded?

I really don't look like i've blown in from the 80s, I assure you!
eleenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
:eek: Am I not right minded?

I really don't look like i've blown in from the 80s, I assure you!
I'm sorry hun, I posted that without reading any of the replies, I didn't mean to offend you x
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
NO!!!! But thats just my opinion.
Knight-Errant
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Post a pic of yourself and someone might super (why super??) impose a perm on your head! Otherwise, I say no. It could all go horribly wrong and no one has a perm nowadays. But then you'd be individual. But then people will stare at you more, especially if it's horrible. Etcetera...
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Knight-Errant)
Post a pic of yourself and someone might super (why super??) impose a perm on your head! Otherwise, I say no. It could all go horribly wrong and no one has a perm nowadays. But then you'd be individual. But then people will stare at you more, especially if it's horrible. Etcetera...
Super as in above/on top of. Comes from the same root asw superior. I say no to the perm but I have't seen pics of you soo can't really judge. I reckon if you want to do something different you should cut it short.

MB
p8224
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh god...this brings back painful memories of when i had permed hair...
make sure u go to a good hairdresser to get it done..there's nothing worse than a bad perm...
oh well...at least it'll grow back if it doesn't turn out well...
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeh I had the worst perm ever when I was 11... oh goodness... it was unmanageable!

Be sure you specify what kind of curls you want, and keep bugging the hairdresser to make sure she understands you.
p8224
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Yeh I had the worst perm ever when I was 11... oh goodness... it was unmanageable!
did your mum make u do it too?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.94%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (54)
8.18%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (85)
12.88%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (79)
11.97%
Other reasons are stopping me going (84)
12.73%
Nothing is stopping me going (266)
40.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed