Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I'm thinking about having a perm, as I'm really curious to see what I'd look like with curls, but I'm quite nervous as I don't know how a perm would react with my hair and I've heard a few horror stories about them. I have short, thick, coarse hair which is also dyed mid brown with some highlights and have no idea what would happen if it was permed - have visions of the hair expanding upwards and outwards. Would greatly appreciate any advice from those of you who've had perms, success and horror stories alike

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any experience :rolleyes: ,but i think you may aswell go for it, otherwise u will never know wat its gunna be like. You can only learn from your mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could insure your hair against bad haircuts, and then sue if things go wrong? I swear I've been watching too much Ally McBeal recently...

ReputationRep:
    lol please have a perm - i say bring back the massive ones of the 1980s

ReputationRep:
    Perms are evil. Unless you want to go retro-eighties, or look like a grandma, I'd skip the perm.

ReputationRep:
    I have a perm! It's fantastic!

Make sure you,

a) Get your hair temporarily curled to see how it looks first.
    b) Find a good hairdresser.
    c) Get a 24hr skin test from your hair dresser.
    d) Decide exactly how you want it to look

At the start it may look a bit over-done but gradually you'll get soft wavy hair that looks really nice.

And make sure your hair is cut to shoulderlength before - if it's too long it will weigh down and become a mess.

ReputationRep:
    because your hair is thick, short and coarse i don't think it'd look great- fine hair will suit curls much more. try tonging it to see what it looks like curly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Hi all! I'm thinking about having a perm, as I'm really curious to see what I'd look like with curls, but I'm quite nervous as I don't know how a perm would react with my hair and I've heard a few horror stories about them. I have short, thick, coarse hair which is also dyed mid brown with some highlights and have no idea what would happen if it was permed - have visions of the hair expanding upwards and outwards. Would greatly appreciate any advice from those of you who've had perms, success and horror stories alike
    My honest opinion is that no right minded person has had a perm this side of the 1980s so don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    My honest opinion is that no right minded person has had a perm this side of the 1980s so don't do it.
    :eek: Am I not right minded?

I really don't look like i've blown in from the 80s, I assure you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    :eek: Am I not right minded?

I really don't look like i've blown in from the 80s, I assure you!
    I'm sorry hun, I posted that without reading any of the replies, I didn't mean to offend you x

ReputationRep:
    NO!!!! But thats just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Post a pic of yourself and someone might super (why super??) impose a perm on your head! Otherwise, I say no. It could all go horribly wrong and no one has a perm nowadays. But then you'd be individual. But then people will stare at you more, especially if it's horrible. Etcetera...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knight-Errant)
    Post a pic of yourself and someone might super (why super??) impose a perm on your head! Otherwise, I say no. It could all go horribly wrong and no one has a perm nowadays. But then you'd be individual. But then people will stare at you more, especially if it's horrible. Etcetera...
    Super as in above/on top of. Comes from the same root asw superior. I say no to the perm but I have't seen pics of you soo can't really judge. I reckon if you want to do something different you should cut it short.

MB

ReputationRep:
    oh god...this brings back painful memories of when i had permed hair...
    make sure u go to a good hairdresser to get it done..there's nothing worse than a bad perm...
    oh well...at least it'll grow back if it doesn't turn out well...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I had the worst perm ever when I was 11... oh goodness... it was unmanageable!

Be sure you specify what kind of curls you want, and keep bugging the hairdresser to make sure she understands you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Yeh I had the worst perm ever when I was 11... oh goodness... it was unmanageable!
    did your mum make u do it too?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.