The Student Room Group

OCR BIOLOGY GATEWAY B 25TH MAY 2016 B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThomasRules
Yeah, it was really low - the paper was quite hard. I'd expect them to be higher this year as the paper was a bit easier

Lol people in the other thread say this year was harder cause of heart thing and aspen trees I think both years were fairly alright
Original post by Daycee1234
well, I failed biology :/ at least I can resit in November

Don't go knocking yourself down. I think you will do better than you expect. Anyway you won't find out until August, so put it to the back of your mind until then.
Reply 262
Do you reckon it will be lower than 50?
Original post by ellamoon_22
Lol people in the other thread say this year was harder cause of heart thing and aspen trees I think both years were fairly alright

That's true. I'd say maybe slightly higher, as last year was very much data as opposed to actual biology questions, so maybe 53 for A*?
I got 5% in the B2 6-mark question, then I wrote that energy can be wasted as respiration,egestion and excretion and that so much energy is lost at each stage that there's not enough energy to support other organisms after the 4th trophic level. How many marks do you think I got?
Original post by aurora_
I got 5% in the B2 6-mark question, then I wrote that energy can be wasted as respiration,egestion and excretion and that so much energy is lost at each stage that there's not enough energy to support other organisms after the 4th trophic level. How many marks do you think I got?

I still don't get where people are getting 5% from, could you explain please? Other than that, it sounds good. If the 5% is right, I'd give it 6/6, otherwise, probably 4 as you got the explanation but not the calculation.
I still don't get where people are getting 5% from, could you explain please? Other than that, it sounds good. If the 5% is right, I'd give it 6/6, otherwise, probably 4 as you got the explanation but not the calculation.

efficiency is energy at the next level divided by energy at the previous level. Energy at the next level was 200 kJ I think, energy at previous level was 4000 kJ if I remember correctly. 200/4000 x 100 gave me 5%. My teacher checked it as well after the exam and said that it was correct.

It was the second food chain, so after from the sheep to the humans:

200 / 4000 = 2/40 = 5% lol...
what do you think you will need for a B
Original post by aurora_
efficiency is energy at the next level divided by energy at the previous level. Energy at the next level was 200 kJ I think, energy at previous level was 4000 kJ if I remember correctly. 200/4000 x 100 gave me 5%. My teacher checked it as well after the exam and said that it was correct.

What did the question ask? I thought it was the efficiency of the plant, which was 4000/200000, giving 2%.
Original post by aurora_

But, didn't it say from the plants to the sheep?
Original post by Chittesh14
It was the second food chain, so after from the sheep to the humans:

200 / 4000 = 2/40 = 5% lol...

That's right assuming the question was asking about the efficiency of the sheep
I asked a friend, and we both think it was between grass and sheep, so 4000/200000, giving 2%
That's right assuming the question was asking about the efficiency of the sheep

Yeah, no I'm saying that's how people got 5% lol i got 2% myself.
Original post by Chittesh14
Yeah, no I'm saying that's how people got 5% lol i got 2% myself.

I think people who got 5% did efficiency between sheep and humans (what you did in your explanation), as opposed to between grass and sheep, which is what the question asked.
Original post by Tom1699
Don't go knocking yourself down. I think you will do better than you expect. Anyway you won't find out until August, so put it to the back of your mind until then.

that's all I can do aha
What did the question ask? I thought it was the efficiency of the plant, which was 4000/200000, giving 2%.

This is correct it's 2% energy taken in was 200000 and energy used by sheep was 4000 the 200 isn't even involved if y see the equation for efficiency it is says total taken in

The question specifically said from PLANT TO SHEEP so I don't get why people got 5%( I'm actually baffled to this debate:s-smilie:)
(edited 7 years ago)
I think people who got 5% did efficiency between sheep and humans (what you did in your explanation), as opposed to between grass and sheep, which is what the question asked.

Does anyone actually have the paper.

I'm confused, apparently I read 3-4 questions incorrectly and lost 9 marks wtf...
Original post by ellamoon_22
This is correct it's 2% energy taken in was 200000 and energy used by sheep was 4000 the 200 isn't even involved if y see the equation for efficiency it is says total taken in

The question specifically said from PLANT TO SHEEP so I don't get why people got 5%( I'm actually baffled to this debate:s-smilie:)

I guess people misread it, or just saw sheep and assumed it was the efficiency of the sheep not the plant. It was fairly ambiguous, as people were assuming the 'efficiency of the plant', as opposed to 'plant to sheep'
I said a 98% loss of energy. Would I get the mark?

Quick Reply

Latest