Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm really happy that i have been given a conditional offer to study midwifery from September, but i'm worrying that it isn't actually the career for me. To be honest i can't remember what it was that triggered my interest for midwifery. It's really scaring me because i want to get into a career to do with healthcare and helping people but all the courses are so competitive and i might not ever get another opportunity
    I'm not going away to university either which sort of upsets me because it concerns me that i won't get to make as many new friends as i would if i were to be moving away. I really want to meet new people and make new friends, but i don't think a midwifery course is the place to do this. Plus i'm basically the odd one out because all the other students are mature students who have already got their own family and children.
    I can't even explain how stressed out i am about this, i am only 18 but i really don't want to waste anytime and i just want to get on with my life with a career and enjoy myself- not be in a position where i've worked really hard for my A levels and then not knowing what to actually do with them.
    Please please please has anyone get any suggestions? Thank you so much!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you aren't sure about university then don't go, take a gap year (do something positive, travel, work, volunteer, do an internship etc) - it definitely would not be a waste of time. Don't waste your student loan entitlement on a degree you're not 100% committed to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm really happy that i have been given a conditional offer to study midwifery from September, but i'm worrying that it isn't actually the career for me. To be honest i can't remember what it was that triggered my interest for midwifery. It's really scaring me because i want to get into a career to do with healthcare and helping people but all the courses are so competitive and i might not ever get another opportunity
    I'm not going away to university either which sort of upsets me because it concerns me that i won't get to make as many new friends as i would if i were to be moving away. I really want to meet new people and make new friends, but i don't think a midwifery course is the place to do this. Plus i'm basically the odd one out because all the other students are mature students who have already got their own family and children.
    I can't even explain how stressed out i am about this, i am only 18 but i really don't want to waste anytime and i just want to get on with my life with a career and enjoy myself- not be in a position where i've worked really hard for my A levels and then not knowing what to actually do with them.
    Please please please has anyone get any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Hey ! I get what you mean and what you're going through. Your mind is probably all over the place and youre in constant battle with yourself thinking whether this is for you or not.
    Last year i was 18 doing my Alevels getting excited that i got into a place at uni. Not to mention it was an unconditional offer because i was doing Level 3 BTEC. I would always have this idea in my mind that my passion for learning would go away or I would forget about everything when if i take a gap year instead of starting uni right after Alevels.... i was thinkinh that my family would not be so supportive if i was to take a gap year if anything went wrong after so i was pressuring myself to get onto uni and start a career.......btw that course was in my home town uni that is just 20 minutes walk away... i couldve been there now studying BUT i took a gap year and withdrew my application for that course

now im 19 and i applied for Adult Nursing at another uni which is in another city ..about an hour by bus.

Sooo what im saying is dont feel that you havr to go with whatever comes to you first.... especially if its a course that you dont feel 100% about . Becausr remember this is going to lead you to a career and you dont want to be having these doubts a few years from now.
    believe me ive had my ups and downs too and now that ive been taking a gap year I've been able to think ever so carefully about my decisions.
    Sorry that this has been long nut honestly your thread really stuck out to me because i was you once feeling like i needed to rush into uni just so that i can start a career asap and to not feel like all my hard work hasnt paid off..... just know that once you get your alevels you'll keep those grades forever and you can apply anytime after coz your grades will never be changed ...... HAHA one thing i always hated hearing was "you can always apply for uni anytime" because i literally judt wanted to get on with my life. And not slow down but taking a gap year has been the best decision of my life and i have grown so much and learnt so much about myself.

ALSO i should just mention that when i applied for uni for 2016/17 year i got the offer for nursing and ive heen revising ever since so that i can do well once i start uni.

Please know that it is always down you whatever you choose to do but i thought id share because i dont want you jump into a course then realise its not for you because Midwifery is very intense .... im doing nursing and l dont know much about it but i know that its a health course thay requires your absolute dedication and devosion or youll regret ever embarking on this journey ..
    one last thing unis often allow people to defer their application meaning if you want to start the year after instead of thos year they will keep your application etc etc. Just ask them if you want and ask if fees will change if uou defer your application or if uou will need to retakr interviews again etc

I went on far too long but i hope it all helps you make a decision

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the first comment. I have just completed a social work degree. I don't know why, I wanted to study medicine but was told you'll never make it, so I didn't try, got rubbish ALevels, C grades in all and scrapped into a degree I randomly chose. 2nd year in and I was questioning why I had chosen it, my grades started to suffer and then in my third year I had to take a year out, back finally completing my degree I hate it with a passion. I never want to do the job but now looking into med school with a 2.2 social work degree, no science alevels and no student finance entitlement from a working class family.. it's pretty much impossible.

I also have no clue what I want to do because of this and I've decided to take a gap year! Go travelling! Enjoy! Don't rush!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.