Is a 2:2 bad???

Watch this thread
MoonRocket
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I found out I got a 2:2 for my final year subject.

I was just wondering if that was a bad grade? Would it hinder me in the future?
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MoonRocket)

Hinder you in terms of what? Attracting a potential date?

If you mean in terms of job prospects, what degree do you have? There are graduate programs that accept 2:2s now, in Engineering I've seen which is quite surprising..
JustGeorgeJ
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

A 2:2 is still a pass, a 3rd is still a pass. It means you are still passing university, it's just a lower grade. It's not terribly bad.

If this is the first 2:2 you've got whilst at university and say the rest have been 2:1 or 1st, the 2:2 gets cancelled out. You'll come out with a 2:1 or so - it averages out.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
A 2:2 is still a pass, a 3rd is still a pass. It means you are still passing university, it's just a lower grade. It's not terribly bad.

If this is the first 2:2 you've got whilst at university and say the rest have been 2:1 or 1st, the 2:2 gets cancelled out. You'll come out with a 2:1 or so - it averages out.
Yep and even if you get a 2:2 some masters and other post graduate courses or graduate jobs will accept you it's not the end of the world .

I have a 2:2
MoonRocket
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by JustGeorgeJ)

well I guess yes it is my first 2:2. I usually get 2:1.

Just not been feeling good this final year, didn't feel very motivated.

It looks like I was only 1 mark from a 2:1.
JustGeorgeJ
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
well I guess yes it is my first 2:2. I usually get 2:1.

Just not been feeling good this final year, didn't feel very motivated.

It looks like I was only 1 mark from a 2:1.
It's disheartening, I appreciate that. I've just got my first 2:2 after getting nothing but 1st and 2:1's and it's really hit me. I understand how you're feeling but you have to remember, you may have just been feeling off when writing it - as you said, you didn't feel very motivated and sometimes we have to get these low grades to give us that push!

Keep pushing!
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yes, a Desmond is bad.
fletch_ytfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
A 2:2 is not bad. The grade is only what you make of it.

It varies from subject to subject, but from my experience in engineering employers value work experiences as much as a few percentage points either side of a grade classification.A 2:2 won't stop you doing a Master's or getting a good job, but from here on you might just have to work a bit harder to prove yourself.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
It will limit what jobs you cna apply for and can have a big ipact on your opportunities. Once in a job, though, you cna recover and if successful, then degree grade becomes much less important to irrelevant.
melissa2196
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm concerned that I'm going to get a 2:2 this year and at my uni thats really frowned upon....
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It very much depends on the subject you do and where you got it from. I've seen advertisements from smaller companies in in-demand fields asking for only 2:2s e.g. you could definitely work as a paralegal or engineer with just a 2:2 in the relevant subject, on the other hand if you've got a 2:2 in English or Psychology you're going to struggle as you don't have as directly an applicable skillset and 2:1s are given out for those subjects like hotcakes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads