The Student Room Group

Is a 2:2 bad???

So I found out I got a 2:2 for my final year subject. :frown:

I was just wondering if that was a bad grade? Would it hinder me in the future?
Original post by MoonRocket

Hinder you in terms of what? Attracting a potential date?

If you mean in terms of job prospects, what degree do you have? There are graduate programs that accept 2:2s now, in Engineering I've seen which is quite surprising..

A 2:2 is still a pass, a 3rd is still a pass. It means you are still passing university, it's just a lower grade. It's not terribly bad.

If this is the first 2:2 you've got whilst at university and say the rest have been 2:1 or 1st, the 2:2 gets cancelled out. You'll come out with a 2:1 or so - it averages out.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
A 2:2 is still a pass, a 3rd is still a pass. It means you are still passing university, it's just a lower grade. It's not terribly bad.

If this is the first 2:2 you've got whilst at university and say the rest have been 2:1 or 1st, the 2:2 gets cancelled out. You'll come out with a 2:1 or so - it averages out.

Yep and even if you get a 2:2 some masters and other post graduate courses or graduate jobs will accept you it's not the end of the world .

I have a 2:2
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ

well I guess yes it is my first 2:2. I usually get 2:1.

Just not been feeling good this final year, didn't feel very motivated.

It looks like I was only 1 mark from a 2:1.
well I guess yes it is my first 2:2. I usually get 2:1.

Just not been feeling good this final year, didn't feel very motivated.

It looks like I was only 1 mark from a 2:1.

It's disheartening, I appreciate that. I've just got my first 2:2 after getting nothing but 1st and 2:1's and it's really hit me. I understand how you're feeling but you have to remember, you may have just been feeling off when writing it - as you said, you didn't feel very motivated and sometimes we have to get these low grades to give us that push!

Keep pushing!
Reply 6
Yes, a Desmond is bad.
A 2:2 is not bad. The grade is only what you make of it.

It varies from subject to subject, but from my experience in engineering employers value work experiences as much as a few percentage points either side of a grade classification.A 2:2 won't stop you doing a Master's or getting a good job, but from here on you might just have to work a bit harder to prove yourself.
It will limit what jobs you cna apply for and can have a big ipact on your opportunities. Once in a job, though, you cna recover and if successful, then degree grade becomes much less important to irrelevant.
I'm concerned that I'm going to get a 2:2 this year and at my uni thats really frowned upon....
It very much depends on the subject you do and where you got it from. I've seen advertisements from smaller companies in in-demand fields asking for only 2:2s e.g. you could definitely work as a paralegal or engineer with just a 2:2 in the relevant subject, on the other hand if you've got a 2:2 in English or Psychology you're going to struggle as you don't have as directly an applicable skillset and 2:1s are given out for those subjects like hotcakes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending