djdude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Whilst doing my biology exam for OCR 21st century, I noticed the Black right angles at the top and bottom of the page. Then i realised i had written to the side of them, does that mean that part will not be scanned? I wrote a lot on the side and i thought the whole page would be scanned...
cdaniels2011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah. It's most likely that the work you wrote outside of the right angles will not be scanned unless it didn't say that you weren't allowed to write outside of the right angles.
Edexcel and AQA usually have written in the corner of every page 'Please do not write outside of the box', if your exam board didn't state this, there is a chance that it could still be scanned.
djdude
Rep:
?
I have attached a document to show you what i mean
Attached files
djdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by cdaniels2011)
Yeah. It's most likely that the work you wrote outside of the right angles will not be scanned unless it didn't say that you weren't allowed to write outside of the right angles.
Edexcel and AQA usually have written in the corner of every page 'Please do not write outside of the box', if your exam board didn't state this, there is a chance that it could still be scanned.
it doesnt state that you couldnt write outside the box, also it wasnt really a box more a border, pls fing the attachment ive uploaded thanks
cdaniels2011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by djdude)
it doesnt state that you couldnt write outside the box, also it wasnt really a box more a border, pls fing the attachment ive uploaded thanks
I see what you mean. Did you read the whole front cover of the exam before you sat it? If you weren't supposed to do it then on the front all rules are usually stated.
Have a look online to see if others have had similar situations to you, or if others know whether or not your work will be scanned if outside the box
djdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by cdaniels2011)
I see what you mean. Did you read the whole front cover of the exam before you sat it? If you weren't supposed to do it then on the front all rules are usually stated.
Have a look online to see if others have had similar situations to you, or if others know whether or not your work will be scanned if outside the box
I have tried to look online, but it seems noone else was stupid enough to do such a thing, ive read the instrcutions and it doesnt state anything about scanning or writing inside the borders
cdaniels2011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have tried to look online, but it seems noone else was stupid enough to do such a thing, ive read the instrcutions and it doesnt state anything about scanning or writing inside the borders
Hopefully you'll be lucky.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll be fine. It will be obvious that something is missing as part of sentences will be cut off. So the examiner will flag this up and they'll mark the original copy
djdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
You'll be fine. It will be obvious that something is missing as part of sentences will be cut off. So the examiner will flag this up and they'll mark the original copy
However on the Past papers online, they dont show the border/ right angles on the screen. i have never been this worried for a couple of marks lol
djdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Hopefully, you're right!
r0xs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sorry to hijack this thread, but i ran out of lines for some questions and continued writing like underneath (only like 1 line where there was space) is this shown in the scan ? i only found out you can get extra paper like yesterday lol
djdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by asphyxiax)
sorry to hijack this thread, but i ran out of lines for some questions and continued writing like underneath (only like 1 line where there was space) is this shown in the scan ? i only found out you can get extra paper like yesterday lol
lol i done that also, but i think that is fine depending on the exam board
emilyaves2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did the same as you, I didn't realise that there were the right angles in the corners so if the stufff outside it doesn't get scanned then I have messed it up
emilyaves2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol i done that also, but i think that is fine depending on the exam board
I wrote a lot on the bottom of the pages so if it doesn't count then I will loose a lot of marks
djdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilyaves2000)
I did the same as you, I didn't realise that there were the right angles in the corners so if the stufff outside it doesn't get scanned then I have messed it up
are you doing ocr 21st century science? They should have said something at the start of the paper !!
do you think i should contact them or someting?
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends how obvious it is that it's there. If they can see half a word they will request the rest of the paper.
r0xs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
It depends how obvious it is that it's there. If they can see half a word they will request the rest of the paper.
really? so the whole page isnt scanned? i didnt write outside the box if thats what you thought (where it says do not write)
bmgaic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I took the OCR 21st C Biology exam and I see what you mean. I saw the crop marks and took them to mean they don't scan outside of it, but all it said on the paper was "please do not write in this margin".

It was a bit vague because in the margin there were some black bands with the word 'OCR' printed across it (that could be taken for the margin), but didn't indicate that the crop marks were where the margin started. I'm sure they'll probably notice you wrote outside (especially if the sentences make no sense); other people in my school did the same.
D.SHA64
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
dont worry
they will look at the paper
they will know that you wrote on the side and they will mark it
many students do this so they have a seperate system to look at your paper
but you dont have to worry because it will be marked
concentrate on your next exams

Whilst doing my biology exam for OCR 21st century, I noticed the Black right angles at the top and bottom of the page. Then i realised i had written to the side of them, does that mean that part will not be scanned? I wrote a lot on the side and i thought the whole page would be scanned...
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
really? so the whole page isnt scanned? i didnt write outside the box if thats what you thought (where it says do not write)
The whole page is scanned, but if the page is wonky certain bits won't show. They try to scan as quickly as possible due to the large number of papers so can't spend too long getting everything perfect. If you wrote outside the lines it may show up, or it may get cut off.

Different markers sometimes look at different questions, so it's also possible the whole page will go to a few different people.

If you can't fit everything in the box make it as obvious as possible. They will then know to look elsewhere if it didn't show.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise