Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should you indicate left when leaving a roundabout with 2 lanes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Say you're leaving a roundabout and the exit you plan on taking has two lanes. And it ends up you having to leave on the right hand lane. Would you still indicate left? Because what if someone misinterpreted the signal as you attempting to change to the left most lane?

Additional question- you need to merge into a lane on approach to a junction to turn left. If there is a turn left junction just before that junction but you do not intend to turn left there, would you have to indicate once you've passed that junction, even though you need to merge into the left most lane?

Sorry the questions are so complicated - let me know if you need me to draw a diagram or something

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWIMSHALLOW)
    Say you're leaving a roundabout and the exit you plan on taking has two lanes. And it ends up you having to leave on the right hand lane. Would you still indicate left? Because what if someone misinterpreted the signal as you attempting to change to the left most lane?
    Yes you always signal left to exit a roundabout, something which most people ignore. Someone might misinterpret it as you moving into the left lane (and indeed you could be for all they know), but you shouldn't overtake or undertake on a roundabout anyway. They should be giving way to you and leaving you room. Ultimately it doesn't matter if they misinterpret - no harm would be done.

Additional question- you need to merge into a lane on approach to a junction to turn left. If there is a turn left junction just before that junction but you do not intend to turn left there, would you have to indicate once you've passed that junction, even though you need to merge into the left most lane?

Sorry the questions are so complicated - let me know if you need me to draw a diagram or something

Thanks
    If I understand the scenario correctly, then yes. You signal left as you approach the junction, but after you pass the first junction so as not to be ambiguous.

Or do you mean signal to merge but are worried about looking like you are signalling to turn left? If so, it depends. If the road is a merge you don't have to signal, although it's still a good idea to be clear to other road users. If you are actually changing lanes, then you must signal. The small chance of misinterpretation is again not a problem IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Yes you always signal left to exit a roundabout, something which most people ignore. Someone might misinterpret it as you moving into the left lane (and indeed you could be for all they know), but you shouldn't overtake or undertake on a roundabout anyway. They should be giving way to you and leaving you room. Ultimately it doesn't matter if they misinterpret - no harm would be done.

If I understand the scenario correctly, then yes. You signal left as you approach the junction, but after you pass the first junction so as not to be ambiguous.

Or do you mean signal to merge but are worried about looking like you are signalling to turn left? If so, it depends. If the road is a merge you don't have to signal, although it's still a good idea to be clear to other road users. If you are actually changing lanes, then you must signal. The small chance of misinterpretation is again not a problem IMO.
    Ok, but even on a roundabout like the one I attached, say if you're coming from the right and ur on the second lane for A77 south, I e the right lane, and you wanna take the exit for a77 south, ur saying ud still indicate left? I would've thought it unnecessary as it's the only place u can go if ur in that lane and if u were to signal it would look one ur moving into the left lane
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWIMSHALLOW)
    Ok, but even on a roundabout like the one I attached, say if you're coming from the right and ur on the second lane for A77 south, I e the right lane, and you wanna take the exit for a77 south, ur saying ud still indicate left? I would've thought it unnecessary as it's the only place u can go if ur in that lane and if u were to signal it would look one ur moving into the left lane
    With this particular roundabout, signalling left may well not be necessary. Because the lane takes you off naturally, you couldn't continue round without changing lane, so you're not misleading anyone by not indicating and exiting in the right hand lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    With this particular roundabout, signalling left may well not be necessary. Because the lane takes you off naturally, you couldn't continue round without changing lane, so you're not misleading anyone by not indicating and exiting in the right hand lane.
    This.

The sheer size of the roundabout, and the fact that exit points are controlled by traffic lights removes the necessity to give a leaving signal. That, and the course you are taking is virtually a straight line with little steering.

Smaller roundabouts - where drivers enter the roundabout in close proximity to your exit point - would require a brief left indicator whenever a vehicle is approaching the roundabout and the driver is looking at you for a decision.

ReputationRep:
    I will answer the roundabout question, yes indicate left always. Also try to practice so you depart a roundabout in that left lane don't depart in the right lane as a learner driver which hasn't passed test you need to always be driving on the left remember unless overtaking or turning right. So most definitely do this roundabout again with your instructor and ask him what you are doing wrong that you are finding you are in that right lane, he will explain it to you, I was also doing this when I first started learning to drive with friends but my instructor he told me I must approach a roundabout in the left lane if the markings on the round agree with the instructions he has given me say he told me to go left therefore immediately indicator and left lane position approach similarly if I'm going straight, I hold off indication until past the left turning/halfway line then indicate that I'm leaving the roundabout so that the left lane there can see that I'm leaving so that they don't join the roundabout and bash me on the side. If I'm taking the 3rd or 4th exit of the roundabout I should traverse the left lane on approach and be positioned in the right lane with the right indicator on give way to the right and watch for a gap and join in the right lane but if I'm taking 3rd exit immediately I should be watching behind me for the position of the cars and traverse into the left lane going round the round about not cancelling my right indicator at all until the left turning/halfway line of the 2nd exit again I switch indicator from right to left indication now as I'm leaving the roundabout now, its the same when I'm doing like a Uturn on a round about that means exiting on the 4th exit where I came from, I join the round about in the right lane position with the right indicator flashing, doing the same like I did before if I want to exit in the 3rd exit except I follow the right lane and switch to the left lane just when I pass those waiting at the 2nd exit following it round now in the left lane then switch indication from right to left indication when I'm at the halfway line of the 3rd exit to let those cars know I'm leaving the roundabout at that exit to their left.

Your second question is about a turning left lane only road marking and you know you aren't supposed to be in that lane so you aren't and don't want to confuse those behind you they might think you want to go in that lane and start hooting or worse you might cause an accident if you take that lane and then decided you know what I want to be in this left lane but I will ignore the road markings about turning and go straight instead. If I was you I would turn left with an indicator if you find yourself in such a situation that's what happened with several people and they pass their test because despite not following instruction and going straight as the examiner ask them to, they know how the road works and follow road markings which is good so they pass because its driving test and not test of memory of instructions given you by examiner but you must do mirror signal maneuver then turn. I watched lots of driving test video where learners due to nerves go the wrong way but still pass the test because they didn't confuse other road users, if you do confuse other road users that is marked as dangerous and serious fault and you fail. You are not allowed to confuse pedestrians and other drivers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.