Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

help on wise as-level choices please... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1sk)
    Read the last bit of my post, I do not say the skills learnt in the course are useless merely state the fact that it is not as widley respected. That is a fact that cannot be argued against, wether this is right or not is an issue for debate.
    I notice you haven't yet provided responses to my questions; should I presume you don't know what you're talking about...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)
    Thankyou! I was a bit confused about whether my subjects would beok because I haven't got any science/maths, but I am feling more confident now. I asked one of my friends and he knows people who have completed sign language courses in my area so you never, they must be up and down the conutry. I m going to look into it because I think we make somuch effort now to lern french etc fr when we go abroad but we dont seem to learn sign lanage etc which could be useful for many people but isnt seen as as high a priority which seems unfair. I think I'll go with Spanish next year as well, because they speak it in a lot of south America as well. I am also doing english lit with my languages and sociology so hpefully it'll be a set of subjects I'll enjoy.
    Have you considered Psychology? I must admit I had some slight reservations about the course when I started as to how it would be viewed, but it is very interesting and something I cant recommend highly enough. It combines both english and science/analytical skills which (as someone as already mentioned) broaden your choices. Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    If you are aiming for Oxbridge or UCL etc, I would maybe swap Media for Philosophy or Psychology, which would both help your writing, and your thinking skills. Both are essential in your chosen career... You will love History. I know I do.

ReputationRep:
    If you were aiming for Oxbridge or a really high uni, then I would perhaps suggest dropping media for a science like biology or maths, which would give you breadth and diversity, just because unis like this get really snobby about media for some reason (i didn't take media and haven't spoken to anyone who has about it so I can't say that it's a mickey mouse a-level!). But if you don't fancy that then i'd certainly drop it for something like psychology or something. Saying that, I wouldn't worry about media studies too much: if you want to do it, do it, though I would say make sure you research possible courses you fancy at unis now before making your decision, cos it would be a shame if you came unstuck because you didn't pick the right subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Also, I would say the only time that english lit is more respected than lang is if you're going to do an english degree, where it's difficult to get onto a good course without english lit A-level, but I don't think it matters too much if you're not gonna do an english degree, but either way I'd keep the english lit a level.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mjf
    Have you considered Psychology? I must admit I had some slight reservations about the course when I started as to how it would be viewed, but it is very interesting and something I cant recommend highly enough. It combines both english and science/analytical skills which (as someone as already mentioned) broaden your choices. Just a thought...[/QUOTE]

I thought I would choose a completely new subject, because I have already studied french, german and lit unpto gcse. So i have chosen sociology. The topics in psychology looked interesting but there is only 1 teacher in our school and shes a lecturer from a uni and people seem to find it gets boring. I am hoping sociology will give me the chance to explore ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenn)
    hiya, i have to decide by monday which a-level choices i'll be making and at the moment career wise i'm thinking jounalist/teacher.
    so, i was wondering what subjects to take which will work in my favour and that which uni's will accept and not regard as "micky mouse" subjects. (as i've seen many talking about recently)
    currently i'm thinking english lit, history, french and media studies. Are they good? should i take english language ASWELL?
    Advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.
    Your choices sound perfect to me. Go for it. One "less respected" subject i.e. media studies, will do you no harm at all.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.