Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (In advance, if I come off arrogant at all during the post - it's not intended)
    Ok, so,
    I messed around way too much during the first year of college (and gcse's for that matter - only got 3 a's, 5 b's and a C).
    I'm on course for getting really bad results this August in my AS's, and i've accepted that and i'm fine with it.
    Now, all the courses I want to do are pretty much AAA or AAB (bare with me, i'm not crazy I promise). I'm confident I can get those grades next year with the right work ethic (the three courses i'll be carrying on with to A2 are all linear so my results this year won't be an issue). I'm aware that my offers to university are based on predictions for A2 results, which will be very low due to terrible (probably) AS results.

So my plan was this:
    1) Get my crap AS results
    2) Get given my crap predicted grades
    3) Apply to my courses anyway (In a very slim hope xD)
    (Here's where it goes two ways)
    Then, either:
    1) Get given an offer (shock horror, but it can happen sometimes) and have got in (because my motivation is through the roof right now, and i'm relatively smart)

OR

1) Get rejected
    2) Get my A2 Results next year and have done really well
    3) Take a gap year
    4) Apply to Uni the year later, during my gap year (which should put me at an advantage to other candidates considering i'll already have the grades the uni is looking for instead of predicted grades)
    5) Get experience in my chosen field during the gap year and also get a job.

I've spoken to some friends who took gap years before uni and they all told me the uni's look at them as completely positive as long as you use them productively.

tl;dr: I'm going to get crap AS results, Good A2 results, take a gap year and apply a year later with my good A2 results.

Is this plan viable??

Any thoughts and input is appreciated - especially from anyone that actually took a gap year, for whatever reasons, be they similar to mine or completely different.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxM1999)
    Ok, so,
    I messed around way too much during the first year of college (and gcse's for that matter - only got 3 a's, 5 b's and a C).
    I'm on course for getting really bad results this August in my AS's, and i've accepted that and i'm fine with it.
    Now, all the courses I want to do are pretty much AAA or AAB (bare with me, i'm not crazy I promise). I'm confident I can get those grades next year with the right work ethic (the three courses i'll be carrying on with to A2 are all linear so my results this year won't be an issue). I'm aware that my offers to university are based on predictions for A2 results, which will be very low due to terrible (probably) AS results.

So my plan was this:
    Then, either:
    1) Get given an offer (shock horror, but it can happen sometimes) and have got in (because my motivation is through the roof right now, and i'm relatively smart)

OR

1) Get rejected
    3) Take a gap year
    4) Apply to Uni the year later, during my gap year (which should put me at an advantage to other candidates considering i'll already have the grades the uni is looking for instead of predicted grades)

I've spoken to some friends who took gap years before uni and they all told me the uni's look at them as completely positive as long as you use them productively.

tl;dr: I'm going to get crap AS results, Good A2 results, take a gap year and apply a year later with my good A2 results.

Is this plan viable??

Any thoughts and input is appreciated - especially from anyone that actually took a gap year, for whatever reasons, be they similar to mine or completely different.

Thanks in advance
    Yes, perfectly viable.

Just to add a variant of Option 1... One of your 5 uni choices doesn't have quite such high requirements, perhaps because it isn't the greatest at your course. They give you an offer an you firm it. On results day you exceed your firm offer and therefore use Adjustment to secure a place at a 'better' uni.

Your main issue will probably be sustaining your new-found motivation.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MaxM1999)
    Ok, so,

So my plan was this:
    Then, either:

OR

1) Get rejected
    3) Take a gap year

Is this plan viable??

Thanks in advance
    Your plan is spot on - even if your chances are really slim for getting a place straight after Yr 13 - applying through your school/college and with that support will make it a LOT easier if you do take a gap year and need to reapply - the same goes for applying for finance (if you don't take it up then you reapply the following year - starting from scratch without help from college can be difficult).

Remember though that getting rejected straight away isn't the end of the application cycle - there's Extra (where you can apply for other courses that you might not have considered) or Clearing (where outperforming your predictions can put you in a very strong position)...so even on your first go round you'll have a few shots at goal before you're committed to the gap year route.

There are some subjects where a gap year can be a problem (the main one is maths - some universities think that if you stop doing maths regularly then you'll struggle to get back into the swing of things) so check for any information from universities about whether a gap year is an issue. In almost all cases it wont be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.