This discussion is closed.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by p8224)
What are friends with benefits? don't all friends come with benefits??
These are special benefits. Ones you wouldn't (probably) get off your best same-sex friends...
p8224
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
These are special benefits. Ones you wouldn't (probably) get off your best same-sex friends...
?!?! :confused:
isn't that your boy/girlfriend...?!?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by p8224)
?!?! :confused:
isn't that your boy/girlfriend...?!?
No, same stuff, but without the commitment. You don't act as a couple or anything, but if either of you doesn't pull, or you just feel like some action, then the two of you get it on together. I'm not in that situation but I know people who are, and it's odd, if you ask me.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, same stuff, but without the commitment. You don't act as a couple or anything, but if either of you doesn't pull, or you just feel like some action, then the two of you get it on together. I'm not in that situation but I know people who are, and it's odd, if you ask me.
What the..? Strange :/.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
What the..? Strange :/.
I have friends who have "friends" like that. It is odd. But maybe for them it removes part of the edge from coming home alone for the zillionth night in a row and sleeping alone in your little single bed with only your teddy bear for company.
John Paul Jones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
who would deign to be my friend?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have friends who have "friends" like that. It is odd. But maybe for them it removes part of the edge from coming home alone for the zillionth night in a row and sleeping alone in your little single bed with only your teddy bear for company.
Heh and none of them mind it like that (the "benefits" and all)? Each to their own I guess, just seems kinda.. I dunno, sick in a way.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i use to have a friend who i could tell everything to......but now it seems like i'm, too "common" and boring for her .................i'm bad with friends.....when people have no-one to go to they come and be good friends with me and when they find more "interesting" friends they run off!
p8224
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
?!?!? :confused:
it is odd indeed! never heard of it till now...
and yeah..it is a bit sick in its own way... :confused:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Heh and none of them mind it like that (the "benefits" and all)? Each to their own I guess, just seems kinda.. I dunno, sick in a way.
It can work out, if all both parties want is just that. However, as soon as one side wants more commitment, it starts to get ugly. I have a friend who was, while not forced into stuff she didn't want to do, made to feel guilty if she didn't. And that's not good for anyone; there shouldn't be any emotional hold over the other person if all you really want is physical. Still not my thing though
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It can work out, if all both parties want is just that. However, as soon as one side wants more commitment, it starts to get ugly. I have a friend who was, while not forced into stuff she didn't want to do, made to feel guilty if she didn't. And that's not good for anyone; there shouldn't be any emotional hold over the other person if all you really want is physical. Still not my thing though
My problem would be that i would end up falling for the person :rolleyes: .
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Keep your enemies closer than your friends, it all pays off in the end :cool:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
My problem would be that i would end up falling for the person :rolleyes: .
Oh, me too! I'd hope I wouldn't get into that situation first.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Well, as I have to say that I will tell polljk quite a few things as well, he is a main dude, but not the most main.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I do. Have known him for nearly half my life, it's got to the stage where we really do know each other better than anyone else and can read one another like a book. means there's little point in my trying to hide anything from him cos he can work it out anyway :rolleyes:
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh, me too! I'd hope I wouldn't get into that situation first.
No i don't think i would, because i'm far too soppy and romantic. If i were to see someone casually i'd rather see them once and then never again...However i've been in a relationship for the past two years so its not something i've ever considered.
Sam2k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
Do you have any really close friends who you can share almost anything with and you completely trust each other?
Yes, I do trust them but I would never want to burden anyone with all of my thoughts so I keep much to myself.
SamTheMan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You seem to have a lot of insight into the matter ;-) Sure you've never been involved in a similar situation?
In theory, it all sounds great: both parties get what they want but the trouble is, there's usually someone expecting more. Even girls who say they're looking for sex, are often looking for something else without realising/admitting it. It's definitely a situation where the guy has the upper hand as the girl often ends up wanting more than physical satisfaction.
Plus, becoming intimate with someone who doesn't care about you doesn't make sense. Sure, it can just be totally emotionless sex but intimacy is something more...which requires a bit more than just physical attraction.

I had a Canadian friend who wanted us to be friends with benefits. Clearly she realised that I wasn't prepared to be her boyfriend and used that as a technique to get her claws into me...
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
You seem to have a lot of insight into the matter ;-) Sure you've never been involved in a similar situation?
In theory, it all sounds great: both parties get what they want but the trouble is, there's usually someone expecting more. Even girls who say they're looking for sex, are often looking for something else without realising/admitting it. It's definitely a situation where the guy has the upper hand as the girl often ends up wanting more than physical satisfaction.
Plus, becoming intimate with someone who doesn't care about you doesn't make sense. Sure, it can just be totally emotionless sex but intimacy is something more...which requires a bit more than just physical attraction.

I had a Canadian friend who wanted us to be friends with benefits. Clearly she realised that I wasn't prepared to be her boyfriend and used that as a technique to get her claws into me...
No, never myself; I had a "standby" for a while, but we were actually headed relationship-wards till Lady Luck turned her back again

But I have friends who had very destructive relationships like this, and I was there for them through it, so I know what went on :eek:
SamTheMan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, never myself; I had a "standby" for a while, but we were actually headed relationship-wards till Lady Luck turned her back again

But I have friends who had very destructive relationships like this, and I was there for them through it, so I know what went on :eek:
what's a standby?

and shouldn't you be in bed?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.49%
I'm not sure (32)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (356)
48.5%

Watched Threads