Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm interested in joining the army through one of the cadetships and I'm checking my eligibility, in one instance, I'm not sure whether one of the conditions would exclude me or not:

In short, I have a medical history of adolescent arthritis, with a long-term treatment plan from my consultant, but the initial fitness standard shouldn't any more of a problem to me as it would for anyone else in my current condition.

It says on the Medical Screening guidelines any history of arthritis would make someone permanently unsuitable, but then the fine print says adjustments and reviews may be made on a case-by-case basis.

Has anyone heard of someone with one of the exclusion criteria being let in? Or do they only adjust for very minor medical issues?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mother_do_you)
    You have to apply and let the medical board decide. There's no generic answer, it depends on your very individual situation. People tend not to talk about medical issues in detail, and people who fail the medical disappear into the rest of their lives, so these aren't the sort of thing there is any useful public data on.

As a general situation, there are still many more applicants than there are places in the Armed Forces, so they can be highly selective about medical conditions. If that is enough to stop you applying, then so be it, otherwise the only course of action is to apply and when you get to the medical, let them decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You have to apply and let the medical board decide.
    That'd be so gutting to go through the ICP and tests to be let down at the final hurdle. I'll speak to them about it and see what they say... :/

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mother_do_you)
    That'd be so gutting to go through the ICP and tests to be let down at the final hurdle. I'll speak to them about it and see what they say... :/

Thanks
    I can guarantee they'll say 'apply and find out'. The Armed Forces don't really subscribe to the modern convention of 'That'd be so gutting to go through the ICP and tests to be let down at the final hurdle', they are, after all, in the business of being prepared to die for their country!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.