Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is my first ever posting, so pls be easy on me.

I've just found out my final year results and my evil supervisor has failed my project. I can't believe it, I know it could have been of much higher quality but I thought I would at least pass. I found out a coupla days ago and since then I can't stop crying because this just isn't supposed to happen to me. It's the end of the world...I worked so hard that alot of the time I couldn't eat or sleep.

Please don't think I'm thick but for some reason, my grades started to decline towards the end of my 2nd year. I passed all of my modules, it's just this stupid project keeping me from graduating.

So what does this mean now??? I know I have to retake the project but it will mean I get a low degree classification won't it? Cos i'll be capped at 40%....I'm just so depressed, I don't know what to do. First I want to string up that supervisor and throw him down a well...is that too evil?

I have a thyroid problem but I don't know if that would have had an effect on my studies and it could be too late to apply for extenuating circumstances. It's just not fair.

ReputationRep:
    OK graduation.

You can take accept a degree without honours. You still have a degree and that is bloody good. It is still the minority of people who get any degree in any subject so congratulate yourself on that. I know this forum sometimes seems to see people as a failure if they are not at or heading for Oxbridge to do a "respected" subject (although no one has ever explained what they mean by "respected"

YOU HAVE A DEGREE BE PROUD.

OK yes thyroid problems can have an effect on your study, a big effect and the thing is with thyroid problems you probably feel you are fine, when in fact your mental capacity can be seriously impaired.

So you may (don't know your uni rules) be able to apply for mitigation / extenuating circumstances retrospectively.

Has the award board met yet? they have the power to alter your classification if you have a genuine reason. Write to them include a letter from your doctor and ask them to consider your circumstances.

Supervisor down well - don't think that's a good idea you'd contaminate the well water. Book an appointment with the supervisor and ask for someone else to come along, a senior academic counsellor, personal tutor someone like that. Ask abou the grade, why you got it and what needs to be done to improve. Also ask about any feedback you got whilst doing your project. Did your supervisor see any work before it was completed? What were his comments. If he has been saying "yeah this is fine" and then failed you I'd think you can make a complaint.

I think the first thing to do is see an academic counsellor / personal tutor / academic advisor and find out exactly where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    Supervisors are meant to stop students from failing projects. That's what they are there to do. Something has gone very wrong in your case. I don't really know what to suggest except talk it over with your tutor perhaps

ReputationRep:
    The rules about graduating will very according to the university, for example at my university you must pass the fianl year project, you must get the honours, they don't award them without. Other universities (I know Liverpool John Moore) is one let you just graduate without the honours.

Is their any apeals procedure? It might be worth trying to get your work remarked by a different supervisor.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much guys, that's the kind of encouragement I needed...some of my friends hadn't been exactly motivating. It's just scarey, you know? I've been studying computer science and I don't think it's easy no matter which university you go to...I'm going to appeal or do whatever I have to do. Besides I'm going to have an operation for my thyroid problem - musn't delay it.

...as for my supervisor, I'll think of something a bit more environmental friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fern)
    Thank you so much guys, that's the kind of encouragement I needed...some of my friends hadn't been exactly motivating. It's just scarey, you know? I've been studying computer science and I don't think it's easy no matter which university you go to...I'm going to appeal or do whatever I have to do. Besides I'm going to have an operation for my thyroid problem - musn't delay it.

...as for my supervisor, I'll think of something a bit more environmental friendly.
    Just a thought could you not say the stress of worrying about the operation has effected your performance? I had a an operation after I had done my assignments but I know the worry probably effected my ability a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna bring everything to do with the thyroid problem including my operation. I've had this problem since I was 16, I hope they'll be sympathetic towards me. I don't mind doing my project again because there would be no stress of exams or other modules, it was unfortunate that everything was so close together. My timetable sucked. I just hope that they don't cap my project to 40.

I've calmed down a bit, no more crying so now I'm just planning out what I'm going to do next. Thanx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fern)
    I'm gonna bring everything to do with the thyroid problem including my operation. I've had this problem since I was 16, I hope they'll be sympathetic towards me. I don't mind doing my project again because there would be no stress of exams or other modules, it was unfortunate that everything was so close together. My timetable sucked. I just hope that they don't cap my project to 40.

I've calmed down a bit, no more crying so now I'm just planning out what I'm going to do next. Thanx.
    Good luck with it, I hope you operation goes ok, keep us posting on how things are going.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.