Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    The costs of treating smokers on the NHS far outweighs any tax that they bring in. - I can't give you a source as i cannot be bothered to dredge through the bbc's webby. :P
    That's wrong though... the tax revenues are something like 10 times as high.

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but i am positive that the cost of treating cancer, heart disease, lung disease etc is alot higher.

But by all means if you can show me a source to prove it i'll shut up!

ReputationRep:
    I already gave some figures earlier in the thread if you've read it properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    Is the government doing enough to help people stop smoking?
    Do you really think that the government, who makes a packet from the duty on tabbacco (sp), will ban smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    i believe in individualism and the idea of people voluntarily not smoking in public rather than a paternalistic and authoritarian ban - which would be completely silly
    But how many people would actually voluntarily stop smoking in a public place without any noticeable personal gain?

I have often had to ask people (even my friends) to stop blowing smoke in my face. I have never ever smoked and it really annoys me when I go out and am faced with a poisonous blue haze above my head. Why should my evenings be made worse by those who voluntarily choose to fill their body (and mine) with poisonous smoke.

Facts:

1) 1 member of the hospitality industry (restaurants, bars, pubs dies every week as a result of respiratory diseases

2) 2 hours spent in a smokey environment is the equivalent of smoking 4 cigarettes as regards to the damage to your health.

Absolutely 100% agree with the proposed ban, nothing else will reduce the level of smoke in Britain's bars and pubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    Idiot!
    LOOK AROUND!
    there are far worse environmental problems in the world!
    what about all the pollution from cars? that is so much more harmful than smoking! (or passive smoking!)
    i say deal with everything else before you deal with stupid little things.
    plus most of the people that go out are smokers, they go to pubs discos, nearly everyone smokes. (in cyprus anyway) and banning smoking in many public places would cause serious problems in the economy for various reasons.
    in a bar..... noone would go there anymore!
    i say it should be up to the bar owner whether he want to ban smoking in his bar or not! he can face the consequences of banning it or not banning it, and those who dont like smoke must just not go there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    1) There is NO benefit to being on cigs.
    People do not just take up smoking because they think it is the cool thing to do.
    People smoke weed bacause they think it is the cool thing to do, drink etc.

If it were made illegal people would not start looking for ****, the hassle would simply be too much and people would eventually lose the addiction from going cold turkey.

If therefore the benefits we gain from the those who do not die can actually carry on working, paying taxes, advancing the human race, and not hinder the economy.
    And to those of you who say 'But their taxes pay for it' It is the general concenus between economists that it They were made illegal the spending upon other good and the K remained and preserved would be more of a economic agent as to those who perish from smoking.

Erm, actually every person I know took up smoking because they thought it was the cool thing to do. Being cool is the only reason anyone would take up what initially is a horrible tasting load of crap. Also I really enjoy smoking and if it was made illegal I certainly would endevour to get **** on the black market, as I, like many others love a smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investmentboy)
    Erm, actually every person I know took up smoking because they thought it was the cool thing to do. Being cool is the only reason anyone would take up what initially is a horrible tasting load of crap. Also I really enjoy smoking and if it was made illegal I certainly would endevour to get **** on the black market, as I, like many others love a smoke.
    many people take up smoking becaue they know they will upset their parents if they find out. to rebel againsts them. one of my friends

ReputationRep:
    Thanx emmz but i was asking for a source of the information, like a link to a web page or something.

ReputationRep:
    It should definetly be banned in public but what people do in their own space is up to them. Some people claim that this is enfringing on their free will to smoke where they want to, to that I would counter what about my free choice to shoot a gun in random directions in a busy street? This is the same thing (if not greatly exaggerated :rolleyes: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    It should definetly be banned in public but what people do in their own space is up to them. Some people claim that this is enfringing on their free will to smoke where they want to, to that I would counter what about my free choice to shoot a gun in random directions in a busy street? This is the same thing (if not greatly exaggerated :rolleyes: ).
    I agree, and the analogy fits even if it is somewhat exaggerated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    LOOK AROUND!
    there are far worse environmental problems in the world!
    what about all the pollution from cars? that is so much more harmful than smoking! (or passive smoking!)
    i say deal with everything else before you deal with stupid little things.
    plus most of the people that go out are smokers, they go to pubs discos, nearly everyone smokes. (in cyprus anyway) and banning smoking in many public places would cause serious problems in the economy for various reasons.
    in a bar..... noone would go there anymore!
    i say it should be up to the bar owner whether he want to ban smoking in his bar or not! he can face the consequences of banning it or not banning it, and those who dont like smoke must just not go there!
    Just because there are bigger things to tackle does not diminise the need to solve the problem. If you have a problem you deal with it - you don't put it off because there are other problems.

About whoever said that the economy would suffer because no one would go to bars and clubs - if the ban was in all clubs then the bars would have the same number of people in - who is going to spend money to go into a club just so they can smoke when they can smoke outside aswell. People go there for other reasons as well.

BTW - they have already banned it in Eire.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx emmz but i was asking for a source of the information, like a link to a web page or something.
    Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. I got it from one of my lecture handouts on smoking cessation. I have no idea where my lecturer got it from but I doubt she'd intentionally lie to us about it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up giving up .

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would the government even try when they get so much money from it? Sorry, I'm a little exapserated. They should try hard to stop smoking, but they don't. There have been advancements, and it does seem unfair to smokers that if it is illegal in a public place they will have lost a lot of dignity, and have to hide in their homes but the government, as all in positions of power are corrupt, and get a lot of money from tax on cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    The costs of treating smokers on the NHS far outweighs any tax that they bring in. - I can't give you a source as i cannot be bothered to dredge through the bbc's webby. :P
    I think you'll find that's the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I think you'll find that's the other way around.
    Correct.

For the umpteenth time:

Tax revenue from smoking = £9.5 Billion
    Cost of treating patients = £1.5 Billion

therfore profit of £8 Billion

I'd still ban smoking though as I Hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Correct.

For the umpteenth time:

Tax revenue from smoking = £9.5 Billion
    Cost of treating patients = £1.5 Billion

therfore profit of £8 Billion

I'd still ban smoking though as I Hate it.
    Yep I've made that point numerous times and every time it is just ignored - banning smoking makes so much sense - and at the same time it would be a ridiculous thing to do. Everyone knows that there are terrible health consequences from both smoking and passive smoking.

Therefore, the governments responsibility is to protect those citizens who choose not to smoke by creating adequate smoke free areas in all public places. They also have a responsibility to the smokers themselves to provide them with education on the dangers of smoking and also the opportunity to make use of the aids that are available.

It is merely hypocrisy to politik the values of quitting smoking only to refuse to subsidise the sale of the products that help people to actually do it.

ReputationRep:
    I would hardly call smoking a 'small' issue, especially when the health and financial aspects involved are very big.

I disagree with the point that people should have the 'right to choose'. Surveys have shown that the majority of smokers want to give up, but the addictive nicotine in cigarettes disenfranchises them of their ability to choose. For there to be something that people use, know it's damaging their health and they want to give up but can't, well... it's something I consider absolutely awful.
    Also, unless you set the law so that smokers when smoking have absolutely no contact with non-smokers (which isn't going to happen) that smokers are also 'choosing' for other passive-smokers.
    In addition, smokers often have to seek treatment from the NHS caused by smoking. Therefore unless the NHS completely refuses treatment, the government has the right to have some say over the law.

In my opinion smoking is one of the great evils of the world. Society would be much better off if it was banned completely.
    Smoking is something that damages the health of the person, damages the health of surrounding people, causes cancer and adds another load to the NHS. When are people going to learn we would be MUCH better off without it?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.