Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I know this has a few topics on it already but I haven't seen anything recently which clarifies my questions.

I want to study Bio-medical Sciences to then enter a post-grad UK Medicine scheme; whilst looking through UCAS I came across Medipathways 2 year fast track Bio-med degree which seems like a great idea to me. I've read a few threads back from 2013 on the college and it had mixed reviews stating that previous students didn't make it to med school and others that had - a lot were referring to Med schools abroad whereas I'm looking to stay in the UK.

My questions are:

Is the 2 year Bio-Med BSc (Hons.) recognisable like any other 3 year Bio-Med degree?

Are the degrees only accepted by specific universities?

I realise it has some bad reviews because not all their students get into Medicine and Dentistry, but that applies to any other uni if you were to study Bio-Med. If I didn't get into Medicine I'll probably go into a Masters then a PHD.

Thanks in future reference!

ReputationRep:
    1) Yes (for applying to med schools) and no if you want to work as a biomedical scientist
    2) Most unis accept the qualification, check their MP prospectus

If you have time and money, go and do a three year course at an established university.
    You'll enjoy the social experience and pace of the course at other unis.
    The expectations here are high and the organisation is a mess.
    They budget on everything, from downsizing to resources.
    Half of the students leave every year, the remaining ones are left unsatisfied on the whole.

At the end of the day, it's up to you, but the mixed reviews probably suggest there are flaws anyway.

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews-and-rep...6#.V2qNbbTFveQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msibtoday)
    1) Yes (for applying to med schools) and no if you want to work as a biomedical scientist
    2) Most unis accept the qualification, check their MP prospectus

If you have time and money, go and do a three year course at an established university.
    You'll enjoy the social experience and pace of the course at other unis.
    The expectations here are high and the organisation is a mess.
    They budget on everything, from downsizing to resources.
    Half of the students leave every year, the remaining ones are left unsatisfied on the whole.

At the end of the day, it's up to you, but the mixed reviews probably suggest there are flaws anyway.

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews-and-rep...6#.V2qNbbTFveQ
    I've decided to study Healthcare Science (Life Sciences) over Bio-medicine now because it registers the student with both the IMBS and HCPC allowing the student to go straight into work as a medical scientist - it also has clinical placements which will work in my favor when applying for GEM.

I called Medipathways asking about an open day and the guy I spoke to (Richard I think) was so unhelpful. He told me that they didn't have one set up yet but if they decided to he'd email me. I never got an email. What type of college or university doesn't hold an open day? I would advise anybody against studying there now after the appalling conversation I had with them.

Do you study there?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.