Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you find the centre of rotation when given a question about shape transformations?
    Our school has never said anything about providing us with tracing paper in the exam or anything but it seems to me that the only way I could probably do it is by randomly picking points and then testing it out with the tracing paper?
    Or is there a more logical way?

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Centre of rotation depends on level. Edit as I read this as Centre of gravity at first.

Draw lines from A to A', B to B' etc. The COR is the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of those lines.

Another edit: I assume you know how to draw the perpendicular bisector of a line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    Edit: Centre of rotation depends on level. Edit as I read this as Centre of gravity at first.

Draw lines from A to A', B to B' etc. The COR is the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of those lines.

Another edit: I assume you know how to draw the perpendicular bisector of a line.
    thank you so much! This is for GCSE

(Original post by surina16)
    This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you find the centre of rotation when given a question about shape transformations?
    Our school has never said anything about providing us with tracing paper in the exam or anything but it seems to me that the only way I could probably do it is by randomly picking points and then testing it out with the tracing paper?
    Or is there a more logical way?
    You'll get tracing paper don't worry, just trace the shape and put your pen on different points and see where you need to put it so that it exactly traces onto the other shape. You'll be able to tell how close you are it is quite quick, then you just state rotation by however many degrees, this is the simplest way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Xenon_)
    You'll get tracing paper don't worry, just trace the shape and put your pen on different points and see where you need to put it so that it exactly traces onto the other shape. You'll be able to tell how close you are it is quite quick, then you just state rotation by however many degrees, this is the simplest way.
    Really? Trial and improve over two lines and short work with a compass? Obviously you would have to be one of those rare students who brings a ruler to the exam and uses it.

(Original post by nerak99)
    Really? Trial and improve over two lines and short work with a compass? Obviously you would have to be one of those rare students who brings a ruler to the exam and uses it.
    why what's wrong with that??

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it but I am surprised that you could manage to do trial and improve more quickly that construction. Also, depending on the syllabus, you might need to show the construction to get full marks.

Sorry if I appeared overly critical ;-)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.