Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing Edexcel AS-level Biology (new 2015 spec) and was wondering what Math skills I will be needing for the exams. I find it difficult to substitute figures that have units (µm^-2) into formulas. Recently I came across another alternative to the Fick's Law equation which can be seen below. And I can't even follow the example. I must sound silly as I know all you do is substitute the figures but all the different units to different powers really throws me off. Someone please explain or push me in the right direction I'm struggling so much!!
    Name:  Ficks law (Equation).jpg
Views: 80
Size:  72.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Its all stuff like reading from graphs, percentage changes, working our simple ratios, understanding the difference between a correlation/causation, don't sweat it! If you got a B at GCSE maths you'll find it a breeze
    I'm pretty sure ficks law is just: area of diffusion surface x difference in concentration divided by the thickness of the surface the diffusion takes place.
    For next year make sure your percentage change skills are fabulous and you can do simple area calculations this year and its no real stress! Im not that great at maths and i've managed to do ok so far!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    You only need basic mathematics, and a bit of common sense for A-level Biology (some calculation can seem hard at first, but if you actually sit down and read what has given to you it will all make sense).

ReputationRep:
    if you look at the AS spec on the edexcel website and scroll down to the bottom of the document it will give you a list of all the maths skills, as well as ones in bold that are only for the full A-level
    I'm trying not to worry as well- i hate maths!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot everyone! I'm feeling much more confident now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.